Spyder Garage

Unhappy LED Display fading on A 2012 RT Limited

My LED display has started to fad to almost black in the upper and lower portions.I can just bearly see the large speed numbers.Has anyone had this problem????...............Montery

Spyder Garage

Mine malfunctioned a different way but the replacement cluster was a quick install.. Strange thing is they can't set the mileage when they replace so your bike starts over again at zero.. Only the buds computer knows the true mileage after that
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    Mine malfunctioned a different way but the replacement cluster was a quick install.. Strange thing is they can't set the mileage when they replace so your bike starts over again at zero.. Only the buds computer knows the true mileage after that
    BUDS does not know your actual mileage. It will not be stored anywhere when the cluster is replaced...unless you record it or the dealer does.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Led Display

Thanks for heads up on the mileage issue,I wouln't have thought about loosing a record of my milage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    BUDS does not know your actual mileage. It will not be stored anywhere when the cluster is replaced...unless you record it or the dealer does.

Thanks for your fast response,I have odered a new display through my dealer,no telling when it will get here....

Spyder Garage

No idea how they are getting away with this but that is a violation of federal vehicle regulations. The dealer or BRP needs to correct the odometer. A bike with an 'unknown mileage' title is worth significantly less at resale. I think you need to contact BRP and not take the dealers word for it.
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    No idea how they are getting away with this but that is a violation of federal vehicle regulations. The dealer or BRP needs to correct the odometer. A bike with an 'unknown mileage' title is worth significantly less at resale. I think you need to contact BRP and not take the dealers word for it.

In the auto business,years ago,before the mileage was stored in computers,this was the only way we could do it..We had an adhesive sticker we installed on the drivers door jam by the vin sticker...Then,technology advanced to where we had to down the car,call the mileage in when we ordered the cluster so they could burn it in and we received the cluster next day..Now,the cluster is just a display,when we change the computer,we can burn the mileage in..Couldn't tell you about current Federal law

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Do you have a reference for that? What regulation number, page paragraph?

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

From everything I can find,there are state by state laws that have to be followed..But,there is a common thread..It is not the replacement that is against the law..It is the non-disclosure on odometer statements when selling a vehicle that will get you slapped with a fraud lawsuit..So,record keeping by the owner and dealer is a must to back up your statements..
    *****Federal Law mandates that a person may repair or replace an odometer if the mileage registered on the replacement odometer remains the same as before the repair or replacement. Federal Law also prohibits disconnecting, resetting or altering an odometer with the intent to change the mileage registered by the odometer.*******

Just found this 2nd paragraph.....This was updated 8/2011 on the site I found it.
    Last edited by cyclelover63; 09-05-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

I don't know about elsewhere, but in Michigan if the odometer is swapped the original and replacement odometer readings are to be recorded on a sticker placed on the left side door pillar. That's pretty hard to do on a Spyder, so they instantly become "Actual Mileage Unknown" vehicles on the title if they are sold...even if you know the actual mileage. Unless you can prove it with the sticker signed and dated by the dealer, it doesn't exist. I'm on my fourth cluster, and the only one who knows my true mileage is me.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default LED display fade

Just came back from a trip in the Gulf Coast heat. I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for 2 hours, bike got hotter than usual but did not overheat (surprisingly 103 degrees) but after 1 1/2 hours the digital display completely blacked out. Visually it returned after I got out of traffic and temperature came back to normal. Will check with "dealer" on this when I call for my "recall parts"

Quote Originally Posted by Montery View Post
    My LED display has started to fad to almost black in the upper and lower portions.I can just bearly see the large speed numbers.Has anyone had this problem????...............Montery

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slyder View Post
    Just came back from a trip in the Gulf Coast heat. I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for 2 hours, bike got hotter than usual but did not overheat (surprisingly 103 degrees) but after 1 1/2 hours the digital display completely blacked out. Visually it returned after I got out of traffic and temperature came back to normal. Will check with "dealer" on this when I call for my "recall parts"
    BRP has already commented on this "problem" here. The display is programmed to shut down under high heat conditions to protect it from failure. It may be irritating, inconvenient, and possibly a safety problem...but it is done by design.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default mileage

you would think that with all the computers on the bike that the original mileage would be able to be pulled up with no problems, and being the dash is electronic it should be set back to the original mileage with just a computer
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME