Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation NHTSA Recall on 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT & ST models

Hi everyone,

We're being advised that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the United States is giving us the go-ahead to release information on the safety recall regarding the tandem master cylinder manifold inlet. This recall had already been announced in Canada, and we are now at liberty to announce it in the United States as well.

Our dealer network in the United States is currently being fully briefed on this safety recall and on the solution devised by BRP to address it. In addition, owners of affected vehicles will be contacted by BRP.

At this time, the recall does not yet seem to be live on the official NHTSA website; but should appear shortly. We will keep you informed of any further developments.
    Last edited by BRPcare; 09-04-2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: added mention that recall notice is not yet posted on NHTSA website
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the update

Although I know you may not be at liberty to say, I will ask anyways... Should we park them until we hear from our dealer, or just operate as usual? I know some recalls specify one way or another.
    I appreciate your post, I think it speaks highly of brp to mention this on this forum. On a side note, 9000 miles on our 13RT Ltd. and I only have two issues I hope will be addressed for safety and comfort.
    The boiling fuel in the tank and heat emitting from the passenger side as has been mentioned many times here. Thanks BRP!!!!
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

if the parts will be available for dealers to make the needed changes. It will be rough to hear the recall and not be able to have the work done...just hoping for all the new owners...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Bump

2016 F3 Limited Triple Black

Spyder Garage

bump

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information!
    Now we wait to see what gets released...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wis2013rtltd View Post
    Although I know you may not be at liberty to say, I will ask anyways... Should we park them until we hear from our dealer, or just operate as usual?
    Hi wis2013rtltd,

The mention on the Canadian Q&A about riding your vehicle also applies to the U.S.:

Should I continue to ride my 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT or ST until the safety recall is performed on my vehicle?

As you are now aware of the details of this safety recall, if you continue to ride your vehicle make sure to give yourself enough time to react. Contact your dealer at your earliest convenience.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Question

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi wis2013rtltd,

The mention on the Canadian Q&A about riding your vehicle also applies to the U.S.:

Should I continue to ride my 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT or ST until the safety recall is performed on my vehicle?

As you are now aware of the details of this safety recall, if you continue to ride your vehicle make sure to give yourself enough time to react. Contact your dealer at your earliest convenience.
    Steve, thanks for the update. I am not too sure what you mean by enough time to react? Can you offer any clarification?

Thanks
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

So those of us that may have partially melted ones will have to live with damaged parts unless it totally fails? We know what happens to plastic that has been overheated it becomes brittle and may fail after our warranty ends. Is anything being done to eliminate the boiling gas situation and gas odors?
    Last edited by Magdave; 09-05-2013 at 09:00 AM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Steve, thanks for the update. I am not too sure what you mean by enough time to react? Can you offer any clarification?

Thanks
    I think it means 'get off before you catch on fire.'

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Default You make the decision

As I see it, for me (even though I don't ryde a 2013) . If I'm old enough, and have a functioning thought process (If I don't I'd better stop ryding) I can determine what I consider "enough time to react". The good Lord gave us a brain and intelligence and He wanted us to use them. Common sense? now IMHO that appears to be underdeveloped in alot of people.
    I for one say a huge THANK YOU to Steve/BRP for posting here....they sure didn't have to. Great customer service

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post

Thanks
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Exclamation Called BRP

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi everyone,

We're being advised that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the United States is giving us the go-ahead to release information on the safety recall regarding the tandem master cylinder manifold inlet. This recall had already been announced in Canada, and we are now at liberty to announce it in the United States as well.

Our dealer network in the United States is currently being fully briefed on this safety recall and on the solution devised by BRP to address it. In addition, owners of affected vehicles will be contacted by BRP.

At this time, the recall does not yet seem to be live on the official NHTSA website; but should appear shortly. We will keep you informed of any further developments.

I just called BRP, spoke with Jonathon. My 2013 Spyder RTS is one that is affected by the recall. Notices are being sent to ALL dealers in the US. When you call your Dealer mention Bulletin #2013-8. It's the Master Cylinder Manifold. Also found out that my bike is also being recalled for Stabilizer Rod Link. So be sure to check on that also when you call.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    So those of us that may have partially melted ones will have to live with damaged parts unless it totally fails? We know what happens to plastic that has been overheated it becomes brittle and may fail after our warranty ends. Is anything being done to eliminate the boiling gas situation and gas odors?
    I may be missing something, if your MC is damaged, you have a 2013 it should be replaced under warranty as it is damaged, please clarify as I am missing something on this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    I for one say a huge THANK YOU to Steve/BRP for posting here....they sure didn't have to. Great customer service
    So Murphy if it were possible for your ride to turn into a fireball would you be satisfied with putting a heat shield over an already overheated, possibly compromised, part as a solution? Would you bet YOUR life on it? See my Sig bet he didn't have enough time.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kyace2003 View Post
    I may be missing something, if your MC is damaged, you have a 2013 it should be replaced under warranty as it is damaged, please clarify as I am missing something on this.
    Clarification is there have already been pictures posted of MCs that have not totally failed but have started to melt. What would you want done in that situation and what is BRP willing to do?( I won't even mention the MC piston seals and the effect this may have on the bike. If there is one subsystem you want working right which one would you pick? For me it is brakes.).
    Last edited by Magdave; 09-05-2013 at 09:24 AM.

New Stanton, PA (South Western Pennsylvania)
    Spyder Garage

I'm so glad to see BRP recall. Once it's officially released here in the US I will be sure to update everyone in our club as well. Thank you BRP

Spyder Garage

Default Pkease reread my post

I was responding to a post asking BRP to give a definitive "point" that your 2013 would have "that" issue so as YOU would decide not to RYDE. Had nothing to do with if I was ryding a potential fireball. If I was ryding a 2013 I would have had a call into BRP and my dealer at the first hint of this issue. Then I would have made the decision as to how and what I was going to do with MY ryde. I personally do not expect another person to THINK for me...Obviously I was not clear on the point I was trying to make for you to respond as you did. For that I apologize.

So Murphy if it were possible for your ride to turn into a fireball would you be satisfied with putting a heat shield over an already overheated, possibly compromised, part as a solution? Would you bet YOUR life on it? See my Sig bet he didn't have enough time.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Check with your dealer...

Quote Originally Posted by JaymeG33 View Post
    I'm so glad to see BRP recall. Once it's officially released here in the US I will be sure to update everyone in our club as well. Thank you BRP
    It should already be released in the US. I think this is what this update is saying. I got the e-mail from my delaer yesterday stating the repairs were approved & he's ordering the parts for my ST-L and will let me know when they arrive.

Spyder Garage

My 2013 RT-S with 620 miles was at the dealer yesterday with a partially melted MC. They would not touch the melted MC until they heard from BRP on the recall. The issue now is waiting for the parts for the fix. Sigh.........

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    As I see it, for me (even though I don't ryde a 2013) . If I'm old enough, and have a functioning thought process (If I don't I'd better stop ryding) I can determine what I consider "enough time to react". The good Lord gave us a brain and intelligence and He wanted us to use them. Common sense? now IMHO that appears to be underdeveloped in alot of people.
    I agree!

Like, I'm sure that Steve at BRP would respond to such a loaded question.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ann,
    (If I may... )
    How much time was needed ot react?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Bump
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Clarification is there have already been pictures posted of MCs that have not totally failed but have started to melt. What would you want done in that situation and what is BRP willing to do?( I won't even mention the MC piston seals and the effect this may have on the bike. If there is one subsystem you want working right which one would you pick? For me it is brakes.).
    Thank you I have seen some of those pictures, however I believe that am still missing something on this. My interpretation of your message is that BRP is refusing or has already refused to fix any partially melted MCs and I am not seeing that just yet, however if they do refuse to fix them, I agree the community should be outraged, however I am thinking BRP will handle things appropriately, at least based on history they seem to. As far as potential unseen damage, I will agree that it is possible and we may never know what damage is caused without tearing down the engines which I would find hard to believe happening. Hopefully those with a 2013 have a full 5 year warranty and I know this may cause a resale issue similar to the 2002 (I think it was this year) GW which had a frame weld issue and the frame would crack but I am not sure anyone would buy a bike/spyder for an investment anyways.

I agree with you on the brakes, I have a 2004 Suburban that has brake lines rusting from the inside out and GM has declared everything fine and the NHTSA is reviewing it, so I can understand both because I have both a 29K 2013 RT Limited and a 47K Suburban that may at any point in time have it's brakes fail however then again so can any vehicle at any age and yes it is dangerous to everyone involved. I also had a early 2000 Chrysler Town and Country where I was going 65+ when the brakes went out so I have had my share of "oh crap" moments with brakes and would prefer to not push my luck any further.

I am planning on checking my MC this evening, provided I can get the tupperware off and if it isn't showing any signs of melting I am going to continue driving it until I am in the line at the dealer getting it resolved, any signs it will be parked as it should be and taken to the dealer ASAP which is approx 70 miles away.

Spyder Garage

Default How much time was needed to react?

Well, well. React to what? The heat? The Flames? The pain?

I always have a small fire ext in the frunk, and carried one for years on other bikes. If I had a 2013, I'd also might have one in the rear trunk, along with a small fire ax.

If you're going to react, you have to stop, turn it off and get off the road, at least as much as you can. Then, while someone, maybe the rider, calls 911, gets out the fire ax, chops up the right side and fighst the fire with the 12 ounce fire bottle. Right!!

Obviously the person meant to stop, shut it off and run. By the time you do 2,3, and 4 above, the Spyder may become a bomb, cause by the already hot brake/fuel leak (or system) which is really spreading. I'd be well off the road, behind a rock, taking pics or a video of the event.

Tuck