Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default So what would make you trade up to a 2014?

I've been looking at new trucks for the last couple of weeks and at 40K plus I'm having a hard time convincing myself I need to trade in my 2005 Ram crew for a 2013 or 2014. I do see where Ram is coming out with a smaller diesel that might push me over the edge but to be honest I most likely won't spring for the new truck seeing they just aren't that much different than what I have now other than they can drop 4 cylinders for better mileage. I only have 60K on my 2005 now so it would take a long time for the better mileage to pay for a new truck.

That being said what would push you over the edge to trade in your 20** for a 2014?
    In a couple of weeks we should here from the dealers what's new for 2014. I have a lot of people ask me if they should buy now and take advantage of some of the great deals out there or wait and see what's new for 2014 if anything. Like me shopping for a new truck I mostly tell them to wait and see unless you just have to have one right now. I'm pretty excited about 2014 but I get excited pretty easy.

Spyder Garage

The new Ram 1500 with the diesel and air ride suspension may be my downfall, I am patiently waiting for one to show up at the dealership I shop at so i can give it a test drive.
    Blue 2012 RT S-SE5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Since I just bought a 2013, nothing short of a trade-in allowance equal to my purchase price would get me to trade for a 2014.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Registered Users EnjoyingTheRyde's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2005 with 60k?

It's still new! We've been thinking about trading our 07 with 100k in for a new truck but the prices are rediculous. Being a basic truck kind of guy we are repairing the 07 rather than buy something with more bells and whistles than we need, at least for now. If the boss has her way, things may change...
    His: 2012 HD Tri Glide Ember Red/Merlot
    Hers: 2012 Can Am Spyder
    RT-S Quantum Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    Since I just bought a 2013, nothing short of a trade-in allowance equal to my purchase price would get me to trade for a 2014.
    . . . I might pay a little more, but only if the 2014 had some amazing improvement . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    . . . I might pay a little more, but only if the 2014 had some amazing improvement . . .
    So what would you call an amazing improvement ?

Sent from my iPhone 5
    using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool No trade mode

I am in the no trade mode. Mainly because my 2006 Silverado only has 6,000 miles on it, new tires ( sun damaged originals) and I have a floor full of ham radio gear mounted in it.

Now my wife is a different story. She has a 2011 SRX and wants a 2014 Chevrolet Traverse in a real bad way. Sometimes I think she would trade me off for it!

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

I too, am waiting to see the '14s. By the time dealers get them in stock by Feb. or Mar. I should have my mind made up. I don't think the rebate that expired Sept. 2nd is the last one that will be offered on the '13s. My '10 RTS with 28000 miles is still serving me well, but I do klike the yellow color. In another month ot two I'll be putting it away for the winter anyway, except for local trips uptown.
    I also want to see how big of a "hit" in value my '10 will take. JMO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unless I absolutely hate something, it's usually with me until it becomes unproductive.

dscn5070.jpg

Bought that in November of '83....

Spyder Garage

A more powerful, quieter engine would make me look at it. Lower RPM's & Better gas milage wouldn't hurt. That would qualify as amazing IMO.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    A more powerful, quieter engine would make me look at it. Lower RPM's & Better gas milage wouldn't hurt.
    That's a good start for sure. More range is a big factor for me as I like to stop for fuel around 180-200 mile range. That F6B I had for a short time spoiled me on that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Longer range, and better fuel mileage would be desirable, but I don't think that would even sway me to trade in my 2012. Even after 13,000+ miles, we're still in the "honeymoon" phase...

Now, if they offered better range, fuel mileage, and the 2013 heat issues were fixed, If I could get into a 2014 with lower payments, I MAY consider that...

Spyder Garage

Default What would make me trade for a '14? Hmmm...

I have 31K on my 09RS and I sometimes wish I had the creature comforts of an RT. That said, I would consider trading up to a 2014 RT if the engine was in the 150-160 HP.

Spyder Garage

Would not trade our 2012 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner quad cab or 2013 Spyder RT as we are satisfied with both. However would like to see an oil sight glass on the Spyder and an in dash 12v outlet. Also warning lights in the Tacoma mirror if a car is in your blind spot.

Spyder Garage

Default Close to nothing..!!

unless it lets me down (seriously lets me down) I hang on. I get things set up for "me" and the thought of starting over keeps me away from trading to something new with things I already added. Had two first run cars and traded them because of all the recalls and updates..still your choice that new smell is nice..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2007 Silverado 2WD regular cab shortbed with the 5.3 FFV engine seems to be keeping me happy so far...
    But I'M LOOKING at the new RAM 1500 with the V-6 and 8 speed as a potential candidate...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Last of a dying breed...

I'm afraid i'm the last of a dying breed that buys cars/bikes to keep 'em forever and not trade in on a newer model. I have a '72 Mustang, '02 Montero Sport, '12 Honda Accord and a '13 ST-L...all were purchased without trading in another vehicle and all will be kept or passed along in the family. I buy a vehicle because I want to own it forever...not for a year or 2. If I want a newer one, I save my pennies and buy one without trading in the old. May be a bit unconventional, but it works for me.

BTW...when choosing to buy a Spyder, I was deciding between a ST-L or a Dodge Challenger SRT8. The Spyder won, but only because I already have a muscle car that is FAST but gets crappy gas mileage and I had been wishing for the Spyder for 3 years before purchasing.

Spyder Garage

I have been having a lot of fun with my 2013 RT Ltd. I don't really want to trade it in, but with all the heat issues, I am afraid my $30,000 investment is in danger. What will it be worth when I do want to trade or sell? Will anyone want my 2013 even tho I have had no problems with it - well, since I replaced the ball joints. If BRP solved the heat problem and was willing to work with us 2013 "beta testers" I might spring. I also agree with Lamont on the mileage issue. I won't harp about the 30+/- mpg, but there are some stretches in the US, and I live near a couple, where a little more range would be nice. Then I could get rid of the Reda can in the saddle bag and carry a nice bottle of Merlot!

I hope BRP gets it right because I love the concept and love riding the bike!

Spyder Garage

Default I love my red spyder!

I do....I love my red Spyder. Trade-in? Only if the new one came with all the goodies I've installed AND it had a "tunable/adjustable" nanny , and the payments were less than what I have now.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

For me the following items would get me thinking (not in any specific order):

1. Better gas mileage
    2. Better range
    3. Turn signals that can be seen easily in direct sunlight
    4. Turn signal switch that is more reliable when trying to turn off after a lane change
    5. Leave the gas and temp gauges on the digital display and replace the analog with oil pressure and voltage gauges
    6. Addition of the BajaRon sway bar as stock
    7. Fully integrated comm system without having to buy a CB
    8. Phone integration without having to have the GPS mounted
    9. Brakes that do not squeal when you back-up
    10. Heat related problems (boiling gas, heat on legs, etc.)

Some of these may already be available on a newer model and some of these are easy to fix. However, all of this in one package would be great.
    Last edited by BitSlayer; 09-05-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Added heat as one of the thing to fix
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

2015 Spyder RT Limited - Perl White
    - Having fun with my knees in the breeze

Spyder Garage

An even exchange with my 2008 GS and I'd be happy to trade.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Remember...you asked.....I would trade up for a 2014, with larger engine, I hope, if BRP would give me a 2014 to ride 20,000 miles from time dealers getting a look at them in a couple of weeks and the release of 2014 in Feb-March...I could test ride a 2014 and give real feedback on any heat issues...etc...then if all went well...the trade-in of my 2013 could be BRP's test model to see what is wrong with heat issues...I seem to have all the issues.....call me BRP....

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

I've still got my 1992 JEEP Cherokee. Its got 245,354 miles on it. I had it repainted. Everything works well on it. It still doesn't use any oil. I can get a new rebuilt engine for $1795.00 installed. I'd keep the 06 RAM, but if you decided to sell it I might be interested if the price was right......

Spyder Garage

Just bought a 2013 Ford F350 Supercrew Lariat a couple months back.

Super quiet diesel and 800 ft lbs of torque out of the box.

Ford quality to boot, nothing else is even close on quality and options.

only downfall is they aren't cheap. I get an Ford employee discount so it made it worth it for

me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Remember...you asked.....I would trade up for a 2014, with larger engine, I hope, if BRP would give me a 2014 to ride 20,000 miles from time dealers getting a look at them in a couple of weeks and the release of 2014 in Feb-March...I could test ride a 2014 and give real feedback on any heat issues...etc...then if all went well...the trade-in of my 2013 could be BRP's test model to see what is wrong with heat issues.....call me BRP....
    BRP; are you listening??

P.S. I wouldn't trade my Spyder for anything or any amount of money! I'm having too much fun personalizing it to quit now!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black