Spyder Garage

Default Scratched right panel around bolt head this morning..

The panel did not appear to be tight - very loose fitting near the joint where the 2 panels overlap. I applied the torx to it lightly, and I could tell it wasn't very tight. But, the bolt would not grab it seemed. I backed out. Nothing. Like the bolt is just sitting in there, but, I wasn't able to even remove it. I attempted to tighten it down again.
    Turns out; all I really succeeded in doing was scratching the paint around the torx head! Unbelievable! My own damn fault that I wasn't more careful, for sure! What gives with these bolts. As it turns out, the other torx bolt on the right side is just about as loose. I don't think they will fall out. They tighten a very little.
    On the left side; both torx bolt tighten down fine. This is some of the crap that BRP does that, at least to me, is half assed.
    On my other 2 Spyders, when I pulled a panel, and put it back, I knew that the torx bolts were secure. Now; I don't really know. Let alone; I'm not even sure how I'm going to pull that right panel now. Yeah! I'm just a bit unhappy right now - mostly with myself for not paying more attention to what I was doing. Actually; I don't think there is even a nylon washer behind those bolt heads now, which would cause the bolt head to scratch the paint. The GS & RS-S bolts all had the washers which protected the bolt heads from even contacting the panel service.
    Bottom line; I shouldn't have done anything, and just told my dealer to look at it.

So; I decided to see if I can find the paint code. I do! But; for the price of buying the paint (both components), I don't think it would cost much more to buy another panel! Anyone see another alternative to buying the OEM paint?

One way or another, I'll make this right. Adding black washers behind the bolt heads would work if they are a little bigger than the bolt heads themselves. But, of course, first; I will need to find a way to get the bolts out!
    - Greg

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Previously owned...

2008 Spyder GS (Full Moon) 32,800 miles
    2011 Spyder RS-S (Magnesium/Black) 31,230 miles

Spyder Garage

Were these the silver security screws on the top side panel? If so, they are not supposed to be loosened (or tightened). They hold pins that fit into rubber grommets on the panel below. The pins have to be at an exact angle to work properly, so if the screws are loosened things go bad in a hurry. The panels will always wiggle a little, but if they are real loose there, the grommets are probably pushed through and possibly missing, or in rare cases the pins are broken.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't those chrome "jobbies" have a little piece in them that prevents you from getting a tool into the provided space?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Don't those chrome "jobbies" have a little piece in them that prevents you from getting a tool into the provided space?
    They might be security (anti-tamper) style torx but then lots of us have those special tools that allow us to mess things up on rare occasions.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Well; that explains it. I guess, I should have left everything alone. This is the first time I have ever had a situation with any of my Spyders. I naturally thought those were removable (and loose).
    Everything feels secure. I rode to work this morning. They do not feel like they can fall out. They turn, seemed to tighten, and loosen again. That would explain that they are still attached, I think.
    Yes; those Torx bolts are the security type, yes. Just so happens, I have the Torx Drivers with the hole in the middle to allow to tighten or loosen them at will.
    So; I guess only the left panel bolts come out to access inside.

Folks; for those of you that are reading this; don’t do what I did! READ your Owner’s Manual before doing anything! J
    Thanks for the heads up, Scotty!

So now... somehow, I need to get in there to make sure everything is okay. Will I need to go back to the dealer for this?

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Were these the silver security screws on the top side panel? If so, they are not supposed to be loosened (or tightened). They hold pins that fit into rubber grommets on the panel below. The pins have to be at an exact angle to work properly, so if the screws are loosened things go bad in a hurry. The panels will always wiggle a little, but if they are real loose there, the grommets are probably pushed through and possibly missing, or in rare cases the pins are broken.
    - Greg

Previously owned...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    They might be security (anti-tamper) style torx but then lots of us have those special tools that allow us to mess things up on rare occasions.

Carl
    BD Carl just described the Torx security fastener. You to can buy one a reputable fastener dealer. I bought one to tighten up the phantom fasteners on my 2011 before I found out that did not attach to anything.

Spyder Garage

They tighten and loosen because the pins are registered with the body to point in the right direction. The screws should not be able to turn readily...although they could be easily forced. The "loose" position is probably the correct one, but your pins could be damaged now. I don't think they are available separately, so you may need to come up with a novel means of repair...or replace the entire panel. The left side is identical (mirror image). Your tool slipped because the security screws are meant to reject anything but the proper bit. Security bit sets are available from a variety of stores.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a good thing that I never knew about these "special" tools...
    I would surely have created a whole new pile of trouble for myself with them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

All is well on RT-S Yellow Bird. Everything is secure. Nothing has fallen off.

This past Friday marked the 6th week of ownership, and about 2,450 miles. All is well, with the exception of my little aforementioned snafu.
    - Greg

Previously owned...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H. View Post
    . . . So; I decided to see if I can find the paint code. I do! But; for the price of buying the paint (both components), I don't think it would cost much more to buy another panel! Anyone see another alternative to buying the OEM paint?
    Greg . . . I read this when you posted it and spaced out . . . didn't realize it was you! Anyhow . . . see you in just under a month! Check out this thread . . .
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=touchup+paint

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Greg . . . I read this when you posted it and spaced out . . . didn't realize it was you! Anyhow . . . see you in just under a month! Check out this thread . . .
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=touchup+paint

Hi Dan! I've cooled off a bit now. Looking forward to the reunion! And, much thanks mentioning the touch-up paint the other day, and the link!
    - Greg

Previously owned...