Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Now mine....

Spyder Garage

Thanks. Glad the guys are getting some of yours done. Are you learning yet how to do some? Not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by 0228lisa View Post
    I like seeing the mods...although one of them was way over my head. I've been on a spending spree since Doru, Forest and Mike came to help me put them all on. And they are even coming back to finish the project. Cool.
    Last edited by ataDude; 12-06-2015 at 09:35 PM.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Thanks. Glad the guys are getting some of your's done. Are you learning yet how to do some? Not hard.

Let's see...."learning how to do some".....does refilling their drinks, grabbing my hair dryer and learning what a 1,1/8 hole saw count???

I am totally dependent on them. Although I think I am going to attempt putting on the decals myself.

I left out Tim and Christie on the last post....Sorry Tim.
    Last edited by 0228lisa; 05-16-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

The No Magic Neon LED brake lights are installed and they are awesome! They are considerably brighter than the stock incandescents (don't know by what factor)... and they're apparently designed to never trigger the nanny... even if the LEDs go south... which is highly unlikely for a very, very long time.

See the pic below... daylight in the garage... my buddy, the weed eater, is holding down the brake pedal.

Install hints... total time required was less than 30 minutes:

1. Remove the seven #30 Torx screws which hold the under-the-seat / over-the-tire plastic pan in place. Set the pan aside.

2. Remove the rear two plastic rivets (under seat) for both black side covers... the ones with the "Spyder" decals... if you still have the decals. Lightly pull the side covers away from the bike and block them to keep them away using rags or anything else you have handy.

3. Release the securing tabs and flip the tail cover up (you've already removed the one screw in (1) above).

4. Remove each tail light by removing the two #30 Torx screws. Both extend up with the Torx head facing down.

a. One is very easy to get to... the rear most, in the center... exposed by removing the cover in (3) above.

b. The second #30 Torx screw is a little harder to find... in the front of the taillight, somewhat high. I used a small mirror and flashlight to position the screwdriver with the Torx bit.

5. If you purchased just the LEDs (and not the entire assembly as I did), follow the NMN directions for bulb removal and LED insertion.

6. Reassemble in reverse order... except if you don't have extra hands to help, install the rear-most, center screw first on each side. There are two small positioning prongs which fit in a slot extending from the screw hole. I tried to re-install the forward/high screw first (to make it easier) and couldn't get the positioning prongs to then fit the slot on the rear/center screw.

Update: At night, these lights are really bright... very visible.

Last edited by ataDude; 05-20-2009 at 04:04 PM.

There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

.... I've had these on for a month or more. I can only say:

How did I live without 'em?

Are they hard to put on? There isn't much visibility with the stock mirrors and when I have a 2 wheel motorcycle following directly behind me, I can't see him. One of these days I'm gonna lose him accidently.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 0228lisa View Post
    Are they hard to put on? There isn't much visibility with the stock mirrors and when I have a 2 wheel motorcycle following directly behind me, I can't see him. One of these days I'm gonna lose him accidently.
    Nahh.. pretty easy. Follow the instructions that comes with them.

The "hard" part is grinding/filing on the little plastic "gap fillers" on the front to make them fit. They also have to be glued (RTV) back in. Some folks leave them off.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydeeBite2 View Post
    My wife and I are new here. Our spyder is on order. This is good stuff. Please keep posting.
    You'll love the forum for good information, good laughs and good friends.welcome
    fog lights, 4" risers, ISO grips, mud flap lights, 12v trunk accessory, zombie foot and passenger pegs, F1 slider windshield, cup holder, throttle boss

Spyder Garage

Wink FUZZ BOX

.I WANT TO NO WHERE TO GET THE FUZZ BOX SET UP AND HOW MUCH
    MOST OF US WANT TO NO WHERE TO PICK IT UP PLEASE LET US NO THANK YOU DONNY VT228

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vt228 View Post
    I WANT TO NO WHERE TO GET THE FUZZ BOX SET UP AND HOW MUCH
    MOST OF US WANT TO NO WHERE TO PICK IT UP PLEASE LET US NO THANK YOU DONNY VT228
    I had it for several years for another bike project before I used it on the Spyder. Don't remember where I purchased it from.

However, google "Blue Sea Fuse Box" and I'll bet you'll find it. It was originally designed for marine use.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Love your set up. Brilliant.
    Problem with Capitalism is you use up other peoples money, than cry for more handouts.
    ME

Spyder Garage

Accessory wiring:

To ensure that I didn't make the computer nannies mad, I ran an entirely new set of circuits (front to back) from the battery, through a relay, to a 30-amp Blue Sea fuse block mounted in the front compartment. The relay is activated by fuse three in the Spyder's standard front fuse block... therefore, all of my new circuits are on only when the ignition is on. An advantage to using fuse #3 is a built-in 15 second delay after the ignition is switched off.

As with all of these mods, I had the parts already "in stock" from other past bike projects. The Blue Sea box accommodates six fused circuits and six ground points. I'm only using three at this point... the Corbin heated seat will make four. All handlebar stuff (V1, GPS, etc) are low amperage and running on one circuit.

All wiring is run through plastic wiring looms available almost everywhere. I buy the looms from JC Whitney in boxes containing 100' each. :

Update: If I were to do this again, I'd mount the Blue Sea box not IN the front box but immediately behind it. Reason - if the luggage "box" needs to be removed, the "though-the-firewall" wiring complicates matters tremendously.

where did you get the box and could you get me one asap,,, please

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vt228 View Post
    where did you get the box and could you get me one asap,,, please
    Just google "blue sea fuse" and you'll find a number of places that sell them. That one was left over from a ST1300 project several years ago.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baldev View Post
    Love your set up. Brilliant.
    Thanks!

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Update on Corbin rear fender...

.... I've had the fender on for about eight months now.

Today, while removing the rear tire for replacement, I noticed a small hairline crack forming from the upper right of the Frenched-in license plate. The small hole is one I drilled to prevent the spread of the crack. Will use touch-up paint to fill in.

Also, by using a car jack under the rear frame (with the help of a piece of 2" x 4"), I was able to remove the tire without messing with the fender. So... that's out of the loop, anyway.

Have I said before that this fender is the ONLY mod on the Spyder I would NOT do again?

My Spyder:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have finally completed this thread.. And I am very impressed. Nice Bike ATA.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    I have finally completed this thread.. And I am very impressed. Nice Bike ATA.
    It is a little long, isn't it? Were you bored... did you have too much idle time (kind of like me with the SideKick)?

Thanks.

My Spyder:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This is a standard Vista Cruise / Yamaha-fit, throttle lock carved down to fit the Spyder. The Spyder's throttle sleeve has a ridge under the rubber which also must be filed off. I may install an AudioVox cruise unit later... none of these mods inflicts any permanent changes which are meaningful.

Did I say that I dislike the "universal" throttle locks with the ugly (IMHO) bar running across the top in plain view?

Installation instructions for the throttle lock are here:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...7&postcount=51

The Grip Puppies assist in softening and enlarging the grips for comfort. All were "in stock" from other bike mods. I'll use these until I decide what to do for heated grips. They are, however, a "bear" to install even using soap and water.

Dude, you are the man. I popped by cyclegear and 24.99 and 24 minutes of my life later, I now have an awesome, easy to use, factory looking throttle lock, just in time for my 600 mile weekend.

Thanks for the great instructions and the pics!
    Last edited by drogers; 07-20-2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Had to correct some iPhone auto-corrections gone awry.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by drogers View Post
    Dude, you are the man. I popped by cyclegear and 24.99 and 24 minutes of my life later, I now have an awesome, easy to use, factory looking throttle lock, just in time for my 600 mile weekend.

Thanks for the great instructions and the pics!
    No problem. I like them because they are all but invisible.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default MMG fresh air intake...

... first mod today in quite a while. I'm running out of things to do!

I ordered the Mel's Monster Garage fresh air intake from eBay last week ($89 + shipping) and put it on today. Fast service!

Installation

The right side black covers (mid and front) need to be removed. I won't go into that detail in this post... easy stuff.

The stock rubber air intake snorkels need to be removed by forcing them from the box... there are flexible internal and external rubber flanges on the snorkels... I removed by pulling the snorkels into the air box as I had the lid off already. Sorry... no pics on that but it is easy.

The underside of the stock front air intake needs a little slicing for this mod. I used a Dremel to remove the rear 3" of the intake (red X in the below pic) per the MMG instructions which are very good, BTW. Large pics are included.

Once the small section was removed, I used a file and sand paper to clean up the cuts. The MMG intake mates to the stock air vent like this... with a rubber joint connector:

The other end (rear) of the MMG intake is a "force fit" into the stock air box. The fit leaves a minor open area on my air box (maybe 1/64") but that is no big deal as it is upstream of the air filter. If desired, black RTV could be used to seal it up.

I did add a drain hole (just in case) at the very bottom of the intake... it slants down from the front and then slants up to the air box. I had a feeling that the duct will probably collect and retain water in a rain storm. And because of the way the stock air box is constructed (air flow in is below the filter), water will not make it to the engine.

Sometimes I make stuff... sometimes I buy. In this case, I'm glad I bought as the finished product is next to invisible and once spotted, looks like it belongs! Is it worth $89? For me, it was... I still have not recovered from the dual pipe marathon.

Performance

After some Juice Box tuning (.5, 7,7,2,2), I believe the combination of the intake plus the JB is pretty close to being as effective as the race air flow filter/JB combination. The new combination is awesome and the bike strongly pulls to red line in all five gears! Plus, no additional intake noise!

psssst... didn't try reverse performance .

Last edited by ataDude; 09-06-2009 at 02:10 PM.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

I'm glad you bought that. I've considered it but just haven't had the extra $90 that wasn't earmarked for other mods, toys, etc. I'm curious to hear how it performs.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I'm glad you bought that. I've considered it but just haven't had the extra $90 that wasn't earmarked for other mods, toys, etc. I'm curious to hear how it performs.
    Actually, Brian, I'm not concerned about that at all. Fresh air is fresh air, regardless of how you get it from in front of the radiator. This one might produce less turbulent air because of the "smoothness" of the inside but that really doesn't matter, either.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

... I just installed "araneae"...Bryan's... highway peg mount. Very easy to install (15 minutes) and will serve it's purposes well. Contact "araneae" on this forum for his current price. The "stubs" that extend out to the side, BTW, were already threaded 1/2" x 20 tpi. Bryan does provide another metric threaded option, I think.

I spent an hour or so browsing the local Harley mega-dealership for options. I informed the parts guy what I was making and he was more than helpful to someone without a HD... great service!

These HD accessories are what I used for my pegs:

1. 34023-08 HD Black billet shift and brake lever SET, MSRP $129.95; and
    2. 34690-08 HD Diamond Black Shifter Pegs, MSRP 16.95 each, times two.

As always, I wanted something just a little different and BLACK. Sooner or later, there will be NO silver on my tricycle.

I wouldn't want to stand on these but... for intermittent change of feet position, these work well... plus they look just downright cool.

As an added "plus", they are locked in place two ways... (1) 1/2"x20 jam nuts on the back sides and (2) pinch bolts built into the levers. I did have to tap the large HD lever holes to match Bryan's mounts... that's no big deal IF you have the 1/2"x20 tap.

My lower leg position is relatively straight-up (knees at a 90* angle) with my feet on the new pegs.

I like the subtle looks of those - very nice! And yep, I love black!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    I like the subtle looks of those - very nice! And yep, I love black!
    Thanks. The only silver left on mine is the rear wheel and sprocket and... I'm on a wait list for those.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

... first mod today in quite a while. I'm running out of things to do!

I ordered the Mel's Monster Garage fresh air intake from eBay last week ($89 + shipping) and put it on today. Fast service!

Sometimes I make stuff... sometimes I buy. In this case, I'm glad I bought as the finished product is next to invisible and once spotted, looks like it belongs! Is it worth $89? For me, it was... I still have not recovered from the dual pipe marathon.

Performance

To come.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Any updates on how this is working for you? I may want to ride down to Mels today and buy one.
    Last edited by bjt; 08-15-2009 at 04:19 AM.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Default crafstman

wow you are a true crafstman keep it up love to wach you mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by truck 85 View Post
    wow you are a true crafstman keep it up love to wach you mods
    Thanks... but I'm running out of things that I want to do.

My Spyder: