Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Now mine....

Spyder Garage

Oh, man, now I've got exhaust envy, too. Why cover the flanges? they look real good.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those dual look awesome, I would sure love a set up like that for my SE5 just for looks. I was never a fan of single side exhaust, I believe dual side exhaust makes any motorcycle look great a single looks like they forgot to add the other one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Oh, man, now I've got exhaust envy, too. Why cover the flanges? they look real good.

john
    Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    Those dual look awesome, I would sure love a set up like that for my SE5 just for looks. I was never a fan of single side exhaust, I believe dual side exhaust makes any motorcycle look great a single looks like they forgot to add the other one.
    Thanks, guys. If I can get the stock GSXR covers to work, you'll see why. They make it look gooooooooood.

But, I'm "exhausted" right now. Will be a few weeks before I get back at it. This was fun when it started but now....
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

How long til you make some type of crossover between the exhausts? I have heard that a one exhaust per cylinder design such as you have does not perform as well as duals with a crossover pipe between the two.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    How long til you make some type of crossover between the exhausts? I have heard that a one exhaust per cylinder design such as you have does not perform as well as duals with a crossover pipe between the two.
    I've heard the same thing... it has to do with the exhaust from one cylinder helping to scavenge (suck) the exhaust gases out from the other. But, I do like the sound so... that will be last, if at all. And, I'm not ready to be crawling on the garage floor again... at least for a while.

Next up will be Ken's airbox eliminator setup and the Two Brother's fuel box. Already have the fuel box and the filter should be in today.

Last edited by ataDude; 03-26-2009 at 10:41 AM.

There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Any of you technically savvy guys, who know all this sh...tuff can come over to my house any time. Mod parts (for my Spyder of course) and beer on me. BYOT....Bring your own tools.

Spyder Garage

JAX is just a tad far to be hauling tools and welding equipment... but I'll keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 0228lisa View Post
    Any of you technically savvy guys, who know all this sh...tuff can come over to my house any time. Mod parts (for my Spyder of course) and beer on me. BYOT....Bring your own tools.
    Last edited by ataDude; 03-21-2009 at 11:21 AM.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Hey ATADUDE how are your A-Arm driving lights working. You mentioned that the vibration eventually causes them to loosen up and swivel up and that you used RTV as a quick a dirty fix. Have you come up with a more permanent solution. I have the exact same lights and before I mount them as you did it would be nice to know what otehr problems/challenges I may encountered with them.

Thanks in advance.
    HAPPY 2008 SE5 OWNER 1" BRP Riser, NMN 3" risers, NMN Triple Play & Tail Light, Kewlmetal Mirror Extensions, Evoluzione Powerbus, BRP 23" Touring Windshield on CHAD Bracket, Ride-On in tires, J&M Integrator, Gerbings Dual Zone Temp Controller & Heated Gloves, 2 Dash Mounted 12V outlets, Kewlmetal Highway Brackets & Kuryakyn pegs, Trunk Spring Mod, Vista Cruise Throttle Lock, Kuyrakyn L.E.D. Battery Guage

Spyder Garage

The small, invisible blob of ATV is still working even after those runs (where I loan my bike to a maniac) of triple-digit speeds... doesn't need a fix... it is fixed.

I must note, however, that guy only does that on deserted farm roads. Most of the time, he drives sanely.

Quote Originally Posted by rleathen View Post
    Hey ATADUDE how are your A-Arm driving lights working. You mentioned that the vibration eventually causes them to loosen up and swivel up and that you used RTV as a quick a dirty fix. Have you come up with a more permanent solution. I have the exact same lights and before I mount them as you did it would be nice to know what otehr problems/challenges I may encountered with them.

Thanks in advance.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default This week's...

... mods.

I made the intentional mistake of putting on two performance goodies at the same time... now, I'll not be able to definitively say one or the other is good... or bad... only that the combination works or doesn't.

The evoluzion.net race air filter was installed... and it eliminates the entire greasy, oily stock airbox... and it was bad this time. The new filter plumbing shoots any blow-by directly back into the FI throttle bodies.

The install took maybe an hour... top and side panels require removal. Then, the airbox cover and box itself must be removed. Don't try this unless you have a very short, torx driver... like a ratcheting type.... for the six torx bolts holding the box to the FI intakes.

The Two Brother's Racing Juice Box was also installed... now that I'm running freer flowing pipes and air intake. It was pretty much an easy install (45 minutes) except that the wiring for the Box to the O2 sensor is still short... by about 12-15 inches. Cut/add/solder/shrink wrap added maybe 15 minutes.

I placed the Juice Box controller about where Lamont did... there's not too many choices if you want easy access to it. (see bottom of second pic).

Performance? Will have to wait until this weekend... it's raining... but we need it.

Update 4 April 2009: From a performance perspective, the combination appears to work very, very well. The benchmark DL1000 bike's typical 8-10 bike-length advantage was decreased to next to nothing. I'm guessing a 7-10 HP increase from the two mods combined.

However, as bjt stated below, the intake noise is bothersome at best... head-pounding at the worst. I can't imagine a trip with this intake on... it's just too noisy for me behind a full shield.

Last edited by ataDude; 04-04-2009 at 05:49 PM.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

I like the looks of the race airflow system but I'm guessing you get quite a bit more air intake noise and I'm aiming for a quieter ride. I did see an aftermarket pipe advertised at my dealer today that stated it had good performance gains while maintaining a quieter ride. I may consider that along with the Magic Man 90 if they are compatible with each other. The exhaust was a White Bros. I think. ..... Enough about me, your setup looks good.

EDIT: Well I just did a Google search on the White Bros. exhaust and it seems they are no longer in business. One link took me to Two Brothers, maybe some type of business change, buyout or partnership? Maybe I should tell the dealer its time to update his product posters...
    Last edited by bjt; 03-26-2009 at 05:34 PM. Reason: More info

Spyder Garage

White Brothers makes good stuff... and they have a very good reputation!

And, I hooked up my ear bud extension for the Garmin Nuvi MP3 player at the same time as installing the intake. You're right... it is louder... but music will make it OK... I hope.

I've got the Valentine One now visual only... with very bright LEDs right in front.

And, as much as I "piddle", not having the large plastic hunk under the hood will be pleasant.

I like the looks of the race airflow system but I'm guessing you get quite a bit more air intake noise and I'm aiming for a quieter ride. I did see an aftermarket pipe advertised at my dealer today that stated it had good performance gains while maintaining a quieter ride. I may consider that along with the Magic Man 90 if they are compatible with each other. The exhaust was a White Bros. I think. ..... Enough about me, your setup looks good.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    And, as much as I "piddle", not having the large plastic hunk under the hood will be pleasant.

Maybe it means something different in Texas than it does in Michigan but "piddle" is what I say that a puppy does when it gets too excited.

Spyder Garage

Maybe it means something different in Texas than it does in Michigan but "piddle" is what I say that a puppy does when it gets too excited.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

I forget how the spyder sounded before putting the race airflow on. Recently I put a CalSci shield on until it warms up a bit more - and noticed that I really hear a lot more since I don't have as much wind blowing on my helmet.

I hear the intake more than the Hindle - LOL.

It is nice not to worry about the oil box leakage, um - I mean air box leaking oil -

I'm building a small insulated box to go around the race airflow setup, that will connect via ducts to dual vents I'm installing on the front of Spyder - for a cold-air intake setup. This will get cool air into the intake, keep the hot engine air away, and quiet the intake down a bit.

Spyder Garage

Sounds cool ... let us know how it works!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I'm building a small insulated box to go around the race airflow setup, that will connect via ducts to dual vents I'm installing on the front of Spyder - for a cold-air intake setup. This will get cool air into the intake, keep the hot engine air away, and quiet the intake down a bit.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJohn View Post
    Always feel free to share mods!!!! LOL
    I like the strut lights you used. The shape goes well with the bike, and like you said, the plastic is a spot on match!!!
    Lack of feedback? Get your butt to Jacksonville! I'm with ya dude.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This is a standard Vista Cruise / Yamaha-fit, throttle lock carved down to fit the Spyder. The Spyder's throttle sleeve has a ridge under the rubber which also must be filed off. I may install an AudioVox cruise unit later... none of these mods inflicts any permanent changes which are meaningful.

Did I say that I dislike the "universal" throttle locks with the ugly (IMHO) bar running across the top in plain view?

Installation instructions for the throttle lock are here:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...7&postcount=51

The Grip Puppies assist in softening and enlarging the grips for comfort. All were "in stock" from other bike mods. I'll use these until I decide what to do for heated grips. They are, however, a "bear" to install even using soap and water.

Spyder Garage

This is a standard Vista Cruise / Yamaha-fit, throttle lock carved down to fit the Spyder. The Spyder's throttle sleeve has a ridge under the rubber which also must be filed off. I may install an AudioVox cruise unit later... none of these mods inflicts any permanent changes which are meaningful.

Did I say that I dislike the "universal" throttle locks with the ugly (IMHO) bar running across the top in plain view?

Installation instructions for the throttle lock are here:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...7&postcount=51

The Grip Puppies assist in softening and enlarging the grips for comfort. All were "in stock" from other bike mods. I'll use these until I decide what to do for heated grips. They are, however, a "bear" to install even using soap and water.

I finally got this same throttle lock put on my Spyder the other day. Took a little bit of futzing around to get to where I think it works okay. I may still need some tweaking to the mount as the one screw in the bottom seems to force it to lean into the grip. As far as locking the throttle and ease of use, its great. If I don't have the mount dialed in by the time we meet in Oklahoma, maybe you can give me some tips.

Spyder Garage

bjt... the key is to drill it only after you have it in the locked position...

I finally got this same throttle lock put on my Spyder the other day. Took a little bit of futzing around to get to where I think it works okay. I may still need some tweaking to the mount as the one screw in the bottom seems to force it to lean into the grip. As far as locking the throttle and ease of use, its great. If I don't have the mount dialed in by the time we meet in Oklahoma, maybe you can give me some tips.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I think I did that. If not, its too late now as I have the hole drilled. Probably wouldn't be too good if I ended up with the Vista Cruise or my right control module looking like swiss cheese trying to get it 100%. I'm thinking of finding a piece of the 3M VHB tape and affixing it to the lower, stationary portion of the Vista Cruise and to the right controls. I think that'll do what I think I need. I'll see how it goes during the next few weeks as is. Right now, I have totally free throttle motion when the Vista Cruise is unlocked and it appears to hold the throttle rock solid when locked. I'll find out better when we take our first long trip of the season tomorrow.

ps. I don't know how many of these they make for different bikes and how different each one is but it appears that the one Vista Cruise they had at the dealership is the same one you had sitting in your garage... Looks to me like they could make a Spyder specific one by just making that tab with the screw mount longer to fit the Spyder's controls. There is a screw on the bottom of the controls that the tab could use.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just installed the vista cruise latnight on my Spyder. If you have the ISO/Flame Kuryakyn grips have the dremel handy. To get it to fit clush against the control mechanism you have to sand out part of the inner circle to fit over the large lip at the end of the grip. Works great though now that its complete took about 45 minutes to install.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

I'm a little slow... have had these on for more than a month, now.

Rear lighting doesn't get any better than this: the No Magic Neon Triple Play unit (with LED turn signal lights) and the NMN center LED light. This set-up is great! The turn and brake lights flash on/off three times when the brake is applied... if you so choose.

Visibility for those following is wonderful... this setup should remove any excuses of "I didn't see you..." except for the most negligent folks... as we read about on this forum just this week.

The install is relatively easy and includes dropping the center black plastic cover directly over the rear wheel... seven #30 Torx screws... the same that holds the rest of the plastic together.

If you can read and following directions, the total install time should be less than 45-60 minutes... tops.

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being difficult), the installation is a "2". All required wiring/plugs/taps are included.

Last edited by ataDude; 06-03-2009 at 05:33 PM.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

This week's entry is the No Magic Neon "Double Play" with LED turn signals... most excellent... more front end visibility to encourage the cagers to not turn in front of you.

Pic is at night, in my garage, with emergency flashers on.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

I like seeing the mods...although one of them was way over my head. I've been on a spending spree since Doru, Forest and Mike came to help me put them all on. And they are even coming back to finish the project. Cool.