Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Now mine....

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb A few mods...<lights, fuses, Hyper-Lites, Grip Puppies, throttle lock, RAM mts>

Accessory wiring:

To ensure that I didn't make the computer nannies mad, I ran an entirely new set of circuits (front to back) from the battery, through a relay, to a 30-amp Blue Sea fuse block mounted in the front compartment. The relay is activated by fuse three in the Spyder's standard front fuse block... therefore, all of my new circuits are on only when the ignition is on. An advantage to using fuse #3 is a built-in 15 second delay after the ignition is switched off.

As with all of these mods, I had the parts already "in stock" from other past bike projects. The Blue Sea box accommodates six fused circuits and six ground points. I'm only using three at this point... the Corbin heated seat will make four. All handlebar stuff (V1, GPS, etc) are low amperage and running on one circuit.

All wiring is run through plastic wiring looms available almost everywhere. I buy the looms from JC Whitney in boxes containing 100' each. :

Update: If I were to do this again, I'd mount the Blue Sea box not IN the front box but immediately behind it. Reason - if the luggage "box" needs to be removed, the "though-the-firewall" wiring complicates matters tremendously.

Last edited by ataDude; 02-02-2009 at 05:23 PM.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Driving lights....

These are Pilot 55w ultra-blue (very bright) driving lights I had "in stock" from other bike projects.... they are about 3-4 years old. You may be able to find them at Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc. I used these instead of others because the plastic finish exactly matches the plastic trim / guards on the front suspension.

The lower plastic light mounts (came with the lights) were reduced in size and re-shaped with a die-grinder. Mounting them on the bike required drilling one 1/4" hole (each side) through the plastic suspension guards... which can later be capped off if desired. All mounting hardware and brackets are virtually invisible.

I like the suspension mounts because the "bounce" produces a "modulator" effect without a modulator (I like modulators, BTW).

Update 7/21/2008: The bounce produces more than a modulator effect . Over time, the lights also tend to swivel up on the mounts even though they're as tight as I can get them. More work coming to fix that.

Update 7/30/2008: The low-tech fix? A small glob of RTV between the swivel mount parts. It's not permanent and seems to work fine.

Last edited by ataDude; 05-07-2009 at 08:32 PM.

There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Throttle lock and Grip Puppies...

This is a standard Vista Cruise / Yamaha-fit, throttle lock carved down to fit the Spyder. The Spyder's throttle sleeve has a ridge under the rubber which also must be filed off. I may install an AudioVox cruise unit later... none of these mods inflicts any permanent changes which are meaningful.

Did I say that I dislike the "universal" throttle locks with the ugly (IMHO) bar running across the top in plain view?

Installation instructions for the throttle lock are here:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...7&postcount=51

The Grip Puppies assist in softening and enlarging the grips for comfort. All were "in stock" from other bike mods. I'll use these until I decide what to do for heated grips. They are, however, a "bear" to install even using soap and water.

Last edited by ataDude; 02-18-2009 at 12:14 PM.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Hyper-Lites

I have used Hyper-Lites << for brakes >> on most of my previous bikes. On my customized Valk, I even use them as << turn signals >>.

Other folks can see these from as far as a mile away. I opted to mount just one on the Spyder... high and in the middle... with a home-made "U bracket" made from .020" thick x 1" wide stainless. The mount is fairly "invisible" unless you look from underneath.

After complaints from some of my riding buds, I now "snip the green HL wire" so that they blink for about five seconds instead of constantly.

Last edited by ataDude; 10-29-2008 at 01:54 PM.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Re: A few mods...

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude
    To ensure that I didn't make the computer nannies mad, I ran an entirely new set of circuits (front to back) from the battery, through a relay, to a Blue Sea fuse block mounted in the front compartment. The relay is activated by fuse three in the Spyder's front fuse block... therefore, all new circuits are on only when the ignition is on.

As with all of these mods, I had the parts already "in stock" from other past bike projects.

All wiring is run through plastic wiring looms available almost everywhere. I buy the looms from JC Whitney in boxes containing 100' each. :
    Nice. It looks like you used a similar idea as Evoluzione's powerbus for getting additional 12 volt power points.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt
    Nice. It looks like you used a similar idea as Evoluzione's powerbus for getting additional 12 volt power points.
    Probably...except mine was free... ... left over from an ST-1300 project about three years ago. I found it in the same toolbox drawer where the throttle-lock lived for a few years.

I'm known for collecting parts for bikes... selling the bikes... and keeping the parts. Need a rear-end and single-sided swingarm for a G1800? How about Valkyrie pipes? Or ST-1300 seats? Or VTX 1800C headers? Maybe even a few HD parts left? :
    Last edited by ataDude; 11-01-2008 at 07:59 PM.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Ram Mounts for GPS and V1...

I drilled and tapped the steering top cover for Ram ball mounts...fairly easy to do. A Nuvi 660 and Valentine One are currently mounted. The Nuvi and V1 are NOT waterproof... that's what they make plastic baggies for, right?

I began using the RAM mounts several bikes ago. They are easy to mount/dismount and are flexible in moving "things" around. I usually use http://MotorcycleLarry.com as the source for all of the RAM stuff. He's a rider and either works in, or owns, the company that builds the RAM mounts.

Last edited by ataDude; 10-29-2008 at 01:55 PM.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Driving lights....

These are Pilot 55w ultra-blue (very bright) driving lights I had "in stock" from other bike projects.... they are about 3-4 years old. You may be able to find them at Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc. I used these instead of others because the plastic finish exactly matches the plastic trim / guards on the front suspension.

The lower plastic light mounts (came with the lights) were reduced in size and re-shaped with a die-grinder. Mounting them on the bike required drilling one 1/4" hole (each side) through the plastic suspension guards... which can later be capped off if desired. All mounting hardware and brackets are virtually invisible.

I like the suspension mounts because the "bounce" produces a "modulator" effect without a modulator (I like modulators, BTW).

I like theses,

SPYMAN

PE #2735
    RUBBER SIDE DOWN SHINY SIDE UP!!!!!!!!!!
    Never ride faster than your Angel can fly...

Invalid Emails
    Mississauga Ontario Canada Alamo Texas jan to may
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: A few mods...<lights, fuses, Hyper-Lites, Grip Puppies, throttle lock, RAM mts>

Looks great :bigthumbsup:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: A few mods...<lights, fuses, Hyper-Lites, Grip Puppies, throttle lock, RAM mts>

Based on the lack of feedback, I'm beginning to think that posting these mods was a waste of time.

Did they help anyone at all -or- were they old news -or- should I just enjoy my mods privately in the future? Inquiring minds want to know...

Always feel free to share mods!!!! LOL
    I like the strut lights you used. The shape goes well with the bike, and like you said, the plastic is a spot on match!!!

Spyder Garage

Based on the lack of feedback, I'm beginning to think that posting these mods was a waste of time.

Did they help anyone at all -or- were they old news -or- should I just enjoy my mods privately in the future? Inquiring minds want to know...

I'd have to say that it's great that folks post any and every mod they do. If you are looking to get an "attaboy" you're probably not going to get one. I, however, make note of each and every mod done and shown as I have many customers who ask questions... and then I send (the customers) them to the "experts". That's the folks who've done it. So, please don't stop posting mods. That goes for everyone. They are observed, noted and considered by many of us.
    Mark

Mark "Spyderman" Adams
    ------------------------------

Spyder Garage

Keep 'em coming bro!

There are so many things that some people are doing to their Spyder that I probably would never do or that I have already done a different way, like your fuse block, but I always like to look at their ideas.

:a18:

Spyder Garage

Hey there ataDude! Nice stuff. :bigthumbsup: Judging from the # of views vs. the # of posts, a lot of folks are thinking about your ideas and implementation. keep posting!
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I don't need pics for myself... and if you've done them before, you know you blow several hours taking, editing and posting them.

Sometimes the picture taking / posting process takes longer than actually doing the mods. :

Spyder Garage

They are great, and I liked your single Hyper-Lite. I did two on the license light, though, because I didn't want to drill the tailpiece. Still pondering whether to clip the wire loop. The blinking is distracting, but commands attention. I also liked the auxilliary wiring harness, but tucking it under the dash, or using Evoluzione's version, may be the way I go due to the liner being installed. Don't worry if nobody comments much. Sometimes that just means you did well, there is no controvery, and no questions due to your clarity. This stuff is all useful. Kkeep it coming.
    -Scotty
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: A few mods...<lights, fuses, Hyper-Lites, Grip Puppies, throttle lock, RAM m

Hey, ataDude, I didn't reply since I was calculating whether I had enough $$$ to duplicate that light setup you did!

Also, as Lamont wrote earlier in another post, the activity here has gotten pretty fast and furious lately, so there's an awful lot to read.

Anyhow, I myself have posted w a y simpler modifications than your excellent ones ("Ooo, looky! jeuchler peeled off the Can-Am sticker!") sort of just to have a record of my process. If I get any feedback, that's a bonus!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy
    They are great, and I liked your single Hyper-Lite. I did two on the license light, though, because I didn't want to drill the tailpiece. Still pondering whether to clip the wire loop. The blinking is distracting, but commands attention. I also liked the auxilliary wiring harness, but tucking it under the dash, or using Evoluzione's version, may be the way I go due to the liner being installed. Don't worry if nobody comments much. Sometimes that just means you did well, there is no controvery, and no questions due to your clarity. This stuff is all useful. Kkeep it coming.
    -Scotty
    Thanks. Here's what I've found on the Hyper-Lites... feedback from my group... I'm sure it applies to others... after you're stopped (particularly for a long light), the continued bright flashing lights pi$$ folks off. If I'm stopped and notice others coming up on my six, I'll hit the brake again for another sequence. It's particularly annoying at night, so I'm told.
    Last edited by ataDude; 02-02-2009 at 05:25 PM.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Cool

A arm lights are nice I am looking for some thing along those lines!!
    Keep posting your mods for sure I like seeing what every one comes up with.

SPYMAN
    PE #2735
    RUBBER SIDE DOWN SHINY SIDE UP!!!!!!!!!!
    Never ride faster than your Angel can fly...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    ... no, I'm not going to re-post all of that .... so go here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5619
    I merged the thread for you. I really just wanted to see how that worked.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I merged the thread for you. I really just wanted to see how that worked.
    Thanks. That was easy << for me >>.
    Last edited by ataDude; 07-04-2008 at 05:53 PM.

My Spyder:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Does your driving lights stay on all the time or do you have a switch mounted? Looks great. I will probably mount some on mine. Great idea.......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rotaxrocket View Post
    Does your driving lights stay on all the time or do you have a switch mounted? Looks great. I will probably mount some on mine. Great idea.......
    There's a switch in the black plastic shroud just beneath and to the left of the instrument cluster. Left side is always better for switches and the like as your right hand is busy with the throttle.
    Last edited by ataDude; 10-29-2008 at 01:56 PM.

My Spyder:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You are so right......Thanks for the reply.....

Spyder Garage

Default ataDude's Micron...

...easy, 30 minute install... maybe a little on the loud side... but sounds so much better. The photo flash makes the black look purple... but it's not. Magic Man rocks.

Last edited by ataDude; 10-29-2008 at 01:57 PM.

My Spyder: