Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Question

How can you tell if your Spyder's DPS system is working or not? At 1st I didn't even think my 2012 RS had any kind of power steering, it feels like pure manual to me. When does DPS kick in and provide assistance? How can I tell it'd doing anything?

I checked the DPS marked fuse under my seat this weekend and it appears to be fine and I don't have any warning lights on when the Spyder is running.

What does DPS actually do and when does it do it? Thanks!

- Michael

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michael211_2000 View Post
    How can you tell if your Spyder's DPS system is working or not? At 1st I didn't even think my 2012 RS had any kind of power steering, it feels like pure manual to me. When does DPS kick in and provide assistance? How can I tell it'd doing anything?

I checked the DPS marked fuse under my seat this weekend and it appears to be fine and I don't have any warning lights on when the Spyder is running.

What does DPS actually do and when does it do it? Thanks!

- Michael
    ;Dynamic Power Steering.. Its an electric motor..
    If you are turning the bars at a Standstill, It will feel heavy, Once your moving the steering should be light.
    Some even feel its too light/sensitive at highway speeds...

Spyder Garage

It doesn't feel light to me at all at highway speeds. I guess I'll go get a dealership to check it, since it's still under factory warranty.

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michael211_2000 View Post
    It doesn't feel light to me at all at highway speeds. I guess I'll go get a dealership to check it, since it's still under factory warranty.

- Michael
    By all means have it checked out, or better yet ride a demo and compare. Please understand that DPS means Dynamic Power Steering. That means it changes under different conditions. The response is based on speed, engine rpm, steering torque, and steering angle. It also is dependent on battery voltage. Basically it works harder at low speeds or when greater steering input (torque) is sensed, and is virtually dormant at highway speeds on gentle curves.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine is an '09 and supposedly had the correction before I purchased it in '10. About a month ago, I got the "check DPS" message and the engine light. I hauled it to East TN ATV and they've had it ever since. They suspected a sensor and replaced that. Their computer said everything was fine, the bike, on the other hand, did not. The lights were still coming on. The tech talked to BRP for about two hours and they decided to send yet another sensor. So, we'll see what happens this week.

Of course, this would happen during the only few weeks this entire summer that it hasn't rained every stinkin' day!