Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RTS Oil Change

I am the owner of a new 2013 RTS. Very happy with a few hundred miles this weekend. I have searched but cannot find this answer so thought I would post this question.

I had some time today and pulled all the left side panels off to just check it out and learn where everything is at, as well as prepare for the 600 mile oil change. I did not have it up in the air on ramps or a lift, but did not clearly see how the bottom splash pan comes off to do the oil change? Is it one piece or two, and does just a portion need to be removed? I've searched the forums and maybe just getting under it, it will be obvious? I have to admit that the plastic panels a kind of a pain to put back on...

Thanks for any advice.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK REV 800 X View Post
    I am the owner of a new 2013 RTS. Very happy with a few hundred miles this weekend. I have searched but cannot find this answer so thought I would post this question.

I had some time today and pulled all the left side panels off to just check it out and learn where everything is at, as well as prepare for the 600 mile oil change. I did not have it up in the air on ramps or a lift, but did not clearly see how the bottom splash pan comes off to do the oil change? Is it one piece or two, and does just a portion need to be removed? I've searched the forums and maybe just getting under it, it will be obvious? I have to admit that the plastic panels a kind of a pain to put back on...

Thanks for any advice.

There are two bottom splash panels. Kind of a pain in the to get off.
    Illegitimi non Carborundum

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow with Black Trailer

Spyder Garage

Don't know about the '13's but on mine I took both sides off and left them off. Left side for easy oil change and right side for radiator air flow downwards instead of out the two side vents that I stopped up.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Teddy & I would like to say Congrats on the New Ryde & Welcome to the SpyderHood~Dave

We have a 2011 RT-S & I do know that they made changes to the frame etc.... so we really can't help to answer your question, but we wanted to welcome you to SpyderLovers & also leave you with a word of caution.

From reading your post, it sounds like your intending to do your own maintenance/oil changes & while we also do ours, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND having the 1st 600 mile Break-In Service done by your dealer. This is a VERY IMPORTANT SERVICE INTERVAL & a good dealer can usually catch anything that may be out of spec. or that wasn't set-up correctly in the beginning.

The dealer not only does the oil change, but also hooks up to BUDS (BRP User Diagnostic System) to check and make sure everything is as it should be & all your machines software is up-to-date.

Now I don't know this for a fact, but I would think Not having this Very Important Service Interval done by a dealer could potentially open you up to possible warranty coverage issues if something would arise in the future. I'm not stating this is fact, just a friendly word of caution.

And again:

Spyder Garage

Please note that there is more to the 600 mile service (or any service interval) than just the oil change. If you do change your own oil and filters, have the dealer conduct the rest of the 600 mile service, including hooking to BUDS and retensioning the belt.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and For me It's a good idea to have your dealer do the 600 miles oil. I took our member's advice and next time I will do my own.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for replies

Thanks for the comments. I do understand the other items being done for the 600 mile inspection, but was considering the oil change on my own. I have been on two wheels for 35 years, and ridden snowmobiles for 45 years along with 10 years of racing both water and grass, and am very familiar with sleds and two wheel bikes, but am new to the Sypder. I didn't have it up in the air so was curious how the splash pans come off. Sounds like its kind of a hassle to do the oil changes....

Overall I am very happy with it, and it's the closest thing to riding a sled in the summer I have found. I typically do my own maintenance, but plan to get it to the dealer for them to hook up to BUDS and check other misc items. I have checked and have no codes at 450 miles, and when I took the plastic off yesterday all looked good. I'm very meticulous and like to keep my "toys" in perfect condition, so just trying to learn as much as I can. These forums are a great help.

Again, thanks for the welcome and I love my new Spyder. This was actually what we decided on for our 25 wedding aniversary - it was between a trip to Hawaii, or the Spyder - and we got the Spyder and both my wife and I feel we made a great choice!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK REV 800 X View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I do understand the other items being done for the 600 mile inspection, but was considering the oil change on my own. I have been on two wheels for 35 years, and ridden snowmobiles for 45 years along with 10 years of racing both water and grass, and am very familiar with sleds and two wheel bikes, but am new to the Sypder. I didn't have it up in the air so was curious how the splash pans come off. Sounds like its kind of a hassle to do the oil changes....

Overall I am very happy with it, and it's the closest thing to riding a sled in the summer I have found. I typically do my own maintenance, but plan to get it to the dealer for them to hook up to BUDS and check other misc items. I have checked and have no codes at 450 miles, and when I took the plastic off yesterday all looked good. I'm very meticulous and like to keep my "toys" in perfect condition, so just trying to learn as much as I can. These forums are a great help.

Again, thanks for the welcome and I love my new Spyder. This was actually what we decided on for our 25 wedding aniversary - it was between a trip to Hawaii, or the Spyder - and we got the Spyder and both my wife and I feel we made a great choice!
    There is no better way to get to know your machine than to elect to do at least part of the maintenance yourself. I think you have a very good plan. Please note that the owner will not be able to check for anything but currently active fault codes. It takes BUDS to look at and clear any fault code history. The dealer will also check for and perform any necessary warranty campaigns or processor updates at that time, and look for recalls or other outstanding needs associated with your VIN#.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!