Spyder Garage

Default Project help - installing a SPY 5000m on a RT (or other models)

Hey folks, so a week ago I was out to lunch only to return to my Spyder to see some jerk sitting on it!
    WTF is wrong with some people?

So after some research I decided to buy the SPY 5000m Alarm system. Reason was it came with a proximity sensor and a vibration sensor.
    I have fully played with and tested the system off the Spyder and on the bench. Everything works and I figured out what all the wires do and how they accomplish what the features of the Alarm state.

I really only wanted it for the proximity and vibration alarm (audio). Heck I was not sure I even wanted to hook up the wires to flash the lights!
    It has many features I was not planning to use:
    1) Remote start via remote control.
    2) Hi-jack engine cut off via remote control.
    3) Will flash all your lights via remote or when alarm goes off (yes alarm has a silent mode too).

Basic easy minimum install is 4 wires:
    1) Positive and negative to battery for power.
    2) Ground strap to frame.
    3) A switched by the key 12V line to keep the alarm from "auto" rearming once the key is turned on. You actually can get by without this one too as I figured out using the remote but it is kind of a pain without it.
    This is the minimum hook up.
    I do not need any wiring info for the above and can easily show a DIY for hooking this up minimum.

However in the "theme" of completeness it would be good to figure out how to use all these features in case I did or someone else wanted to. So rather than do the simple 3 wire install I figured I would try to at least test the other features.

This is where I could use some expertise (Scotty?) to find either wires to tap into or locations on the fuse / relay block.
    So let me explain the other needed hook up requirements.

Flashing all the riding lights:
    The manual tells you to just tap into the left and right turn signal lights positive side. They supply 2 yellow wires to do this. They are 12V out when flashed. I do not think this is the best or easiest way! To me it would be better to tap into the emergency flasher system with just one wire. Maybe on the switched side of the emergency flasher switch?
    So the questions here are:
    1) The emergency flasher button seems to be a momentary contact switch not a click on click off type switch. So how does this work? Through the cluster or does it turn on some lock loop relay or something? Could I hook one of the yellow flasher wires to the switched side of the emergency flasher button to make the Spyder think I have pressed it? I realize the yellow wire pulses 12V so maybe this is not the correct area?
    2) Could I find the output of the flasher unit (if there is one?) and hook the one wire there? This seems like the best way? If so where do I find this and what wire color?
    3) Other ideas?

Auto start:
    Now before everyone jumps all over this, I do understand the key must be turned on and the mode button pressed OK? OK.... I have no plans to bypass the chipped key or the mode button (if you even can). But someone might want remote start for a "coolness factor" e.g. key is on, mode has been pressed and you just hit the remote start button.

How this works is the alarm switches on a single wire and outputs 12V (it's a blue wire) for about 5 seconds. It's not a lot of current! It is intended to probably trigger the start relay or possibly be put in parallel with the start button?
    So question about the Spyder wiring here:
    1) How does the start button work? When pressed, does it just give 12V to the coil of the start relay? Or does it go through the cluster in some way? In other words can I hook the alarm blue output wire to where the start button output goes? If so can someone tell me the wire color and where best to find it?
    2) Alternative is to hook it to energize the start relay directly? In other words find the positive switched side of the start relay and hook the blue wire there? If so, can someone help with that relay and what side to connect this blue wire?
    3) Other alternatives?

Hi-jack kill button:
    This feature is to allow you to remotely kill the engine. The idea being is if someone ran up and jumped on your running Spyder, you press a button on the remote and it will kill the engine and it wont let it start again for 20 minutes unless you press the remote button again.
    To be honest I would probably never hook this up as I would not want the alarm to malfunction and kill the engine going down the road! But for those that want it we need to figure out how to hook it up.
    The way it works is it is 2 wires that are just switched. When not activated they are switched to pass current. When activated it opens the 2 wires so no current passes. The manual suggests 2 ways to hook this up.
    1) In series with your regular kill switch.
    2) In-between the CDI wire thus when activated it kills power to the ignition system. Not sure I like that idea and the Spyder might not either!
    So the question here is how does the kill switch on the handle bars work? It is a switch that "opens" a circuit? Or does it close a circuit and provides a signal to the cluster to kill the engine?
    Ideas for how to hook this up easily and not cause issues?

So if anyone wants to help me figure some of this out, I promise I will do a full DIY how to for hooking up all the features of this Alarm system.
    I could go probing myself and rip into the Spyder and possibly figure it out but with all the talented people here that know some of this wiring, you could save me a ton of time and in turn I will help others wanting to do the same.

Thanks!
    Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

On a CANbus vehicle like the Spyder RT, where the control switches are digital and the flasher logic and many other functions are controlled by a processor rather than switches, flashers, and relays, you will not be able to connect everything on an add-on designed for hard wired circuits. You may be able to connect to the turn signals on the output side of that circuit, but connecting to the switch side of that or any of the rest would be a struggle. Not saying it is impossible, but it takes someone smarter than I am to do it, and a logic diagram in addition to a wiring diagram. At very least some additional components are likely to be involved. For the starter circuit the same thing may be likely. Jump the starter relay with 12V to see if it is possible. More trouble than it is worth with the DESS and rider input needed, if you ask me. Why add yet another step to the process? Afraid you are in uncharted territory here. You are on your own. If you do decide to experiment, remember that Miss CANbus is very sensitive to relay or switch generated noise on the bus.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

So your saying that everything in this area goes through the can buss and these switches are digital inputs only? I would think the emergency flashers might not as a fail safe thing?
    Kill switch too?

If that is the case it would be easy to convert these 12v outputs to a digital switch.

Does the service manual give the wiring diagram for this stuff?

Thanks,
    Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

The kill switch is 12V. It functions by opening the ground from the DESS module. You could probably tap into it, if it is exposed somewhere, and break the circuit elsewhere for the same results. I would worry about reliability, however. You would hate to be going down the road and have your Spyder quit because of a flaky security system. The turn signals and hazard flashers operate through the cluster. I don't know if you could jump those and trigger the circuits. Better to pick up the outputs from the cluster to the signal lights, IMO. Probably easier to access those wires, too. These are shown in the wiring diagram in the shop manual.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Ok that gives some ideas.

You are correct I do not plan to you the kill function of the alarm for the reasons you said. I said that above. But I do want to show how spiffy others want to they can.

Thanks for the tips.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black