Spyder Garage

Default All 2013 Spyders recalled for fire hazard

I received a Facebookl notice from BRP today via my local power sports dealer that all 2013 Spyders will be recalled because of melting plastic causing brake fluid to leak and causing a fire. The recall is already in effect in Canada and is about to be in the US. The dealers will install a heat shield. Here's the notice, with Q&A:

Can-Am Spyder

on Friday

Dear Can-Am Spyder roadster owners,

As some of you might already know today Transport Canada published a recall notification from BRP on all 2013 Can-AmŪ SpyderŪ RT and ST series roadsters.

BRP has proposed a solution to the issue raised by the recall; this recall notification has been approved for affected vehicles within Canada by Transport Canada. Agencies in other countries are also reviewing the solution for their own jurisdictions, including the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the United States.

All of the details on the issue, the recall and the solution are being communicated to BRP's Canadian dealers as well as to all Canadian owners of a vehicle that is affected by Transport Canada's. As soon as we have the green light from agencies in other countries, we will release the same information to the dealer network and owners of affected vehicles within those countries, including NHTSA in the United States.

Following are some additional details regarding the recall:

What issue does this recall address?
    Under some riding conditions, the tandem master cylinder manifold inlet may melt and cause brake fluid to drip onto a heat source, which may lead to a vehicle fire.

How will the recall address this issue?
    To correct this condition, dealers will install BRP-tested, specially-designed heat shields and heat deflector to reduce the heat in the general area of the tandem master cylinder manifold inlet and prevent it from melting.

Should I continue to ride my 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT or ST until the safety recall is performed on my vehicle?
    As you are now aware of the details of this safety recall, give yourself enough time to react and contact your dealer at your earliest convenience.

Should I contact my Can-Am Spyder dealer for full details of this recall?
    In Canada, our dealer network is being fully briefed on this safety recall. In other countries, we cannot release full details to our dealer network until the regulatory procedures with their respective agencies are completed. As soon as BRP is able to do so, our dealer networks in those countries will be fully briefed on this safety recall.

In the meantime, if you have more questions, in Canada, consumers can contact their BRP authorized dealer. In the U.S., you may contact BRP directly by calling us at 1-888-638-5397 (U.S. & Canada only) from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM Eastern time Monday to Thursday, and 10:30 AM to 5:30 PM Eastern time Friday. For other countries, please contact BRP at:

We apologize for any inconvenience and we will keep you informed.
    Last edited by Navy Warrant; 08-31-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Added BRP notice
    [/IMG]

2012 RT-S SE5, Pure Magnesium Metallic (traded in)
    2015 RT LTD SE6, Red Pearl, Ultra Comfort Seat
    MODS: shorty antenna, BajaRon sway bar, Air Hawk cushion, custom LED US flag, custom Sue Hopper painted SPECOPS hood logo, custom Combat Craft Crewman windshield engraving, cup holder, Doc Humphry's 2017 complete RT kit belt tensioner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Warrant View Post
    I received an email notice from BRP today via my local power sports dealer that all 2013 Spyders will be recalled because of melting plastic causing brake fluid to leak and causing a fire. The dealers will install a heat shield.
    temporary fix , or solution to the problem?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    temporary fix , or solution to the problem?
    Good question. I would hope permanent solution. Your dealer should be able to tell you. Glad I have a '12. Just got back in July from a 5,000 mile trip through 113 degree deserts. Could've been bad news if I'd had a 2013 with serious heat melting plastic and fire problems.
    Last edited by Navy Warrant; 08-31-2013 at 08:16 PM.
    [/IMG]

2012 RT-S SE5, Pure Magnesium Metallic (traded in)
    2015 RT LTD SE6, Red Pearl, Ultra Comfort Seat
    MODS: shorty antenna, BajaRon sway bar, Air Hawk cushion, custom LED US flag, custom Sue Hopper painted SPECOPS hood logo, custom Combat Craft Crewman windshield engraving, cup holder, Doc Humphry's 2017 complete RT kit belt tensioner

Spyder Garage

Default Seems to me..!!

that this is the fix for those out there. Later models will have some better solution for sure. The shield should do the trick...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

This is the solution for the existing 2013's from having this fire hazard with melting plastics. This isn't going to solve the overall heat issues. BUt, i would say fixing a fire hazard is a good thing.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Same thread 5 minutes apart...

Hi Navy Warrant...looks like you have the same post within 5 minutes of each other. Others on your other post gave you the link to the original BRP release & mentioned that it is for Canada only, at this time. Had my ST in the shop this morning for minor maintenance and tried to talk the shop manager into throwing on the BRP recommended stuff now, but he mentioned that because it is not approved for North America yet, it would be on my dime as BRP will not authorize the warranty work until it is approved in US. If your dealer is willing to put the fixes in now, JUMP ON IT!!!

Spyder Garage

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 rt se5

A freind of mine just picked up her 2013 se5 rt ltd last week and now its recalled.
    She said the seat was very hot and wasn't able to sit on it.

Spyder Garage

The "official" recall for US should be on the horizon as soon as the US government approves the recall.

Waiting is hard if you are one of the 2013 owners. I recommend a little more patience until everything is official and the dealers have a chance to get the "fix" parts in stock, and then get the work done as specified. Time will also tell, if this fix is the "answer" to the heating problems that have been reported.

If its anything like the DPS fixes that went on a couple years back--its all going to take some time.

Unfortunately, this is not something that is going to be solved in a day or two.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Called dealer today , will notify me when part arrives to schedule service . After I confirmed with can am this morning !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a good thing for our members who own 2013. Now the whole world took notes BRP are doing the best to solve this issue. Hang on tight my friends, God Bless us all. See you all on the road having fun and safe.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod