Thread: Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Guard

Anybody out there using the "Missing Belt Guard"? Just curious if its working for those that have it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Anybody out there using the "Missing Belt Guard"? Just curious if its working for those that have it.

I've had one on my GS for a few years. But, how do you know if it's working? I didn't have any problem before I put it on.

Spyder Garage

Funny, I was looking at it today.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I've had one on my GS for a few years. But, how do you know if it's working? I didn't have any problem before I put it on.

Cheap, just-in-case insurance?

Spyder Garage

Default precaution..!!

is what it is. Only those with rocky roads and belt issues that put one on could tell. But for the cost and ease of installing seems a good investment as the belts are not cheap nor is installing them...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

That's why I am wondering how others like it. We are fairly rural and they like to tar and chip as they call it. Sometimes you are stuck on a freshly done road and you can pick up a bunch of little stones in quick succession. Or also they like to patch areas and you are in it and out of it that quick. Thanks for the input so far folks!

Spyder Garage

Those tar and chip roads would drive me crazy.

Spyder Garage

Cheap insurance and easy to install. First thing to go on my bike.

Spyder Garage

I ended up taking mine off as I found it rubbing the rear tire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk 4
    2011 Pearl White RT Limited
    HMT Brake Light, Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Lights, GloRyders, Seal Floorboards, Powerlet 12V, Garage Door Momentary Button, Bump Skid, Elka's Stage 1, Ultimate Sea, Air Wings

Member of the Woodstock Spyder Ryders (Illinois)

Spyder Garage

just some belt insurance?first thing on my bike.

Spyder Garage

Have one fitted to my Spyder. For the price it's a lot cheaper than a new belt. I regularly have to ride short distances over loose stone and fresh tar/chip roads it seems to have done the job.

Its not fool proof - Two riders in the local group have had stones in their belts despite having these fitted. They were riding together came to a stretch where new tar/chip was being done and they couldn't slowdown or stop because they had an 18 wheeler barrelling down on them. The riders described it as an "avalanche of stones" flicking everywhere.

It does have to be fitted very carefully as there is not a lot of space between the tire and the belt. It would be very easy for it to end up rubbing on either and as it sticks in place very hard to fix. There's some photo's I took when I fitted mine on the New Zealand forum:

http://www.meetup.com/Spyder-Riders-...12/10#95811452

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Have one fitted to my Spyder. For the price it's a lot cheaper than a new belt. I regularly have to ride short distances over loose stone and fresh tar/chip roads it seems to have done the job.

Its not fool proof - Two riders in the local group have had stones in their belts despite having these fitted. They were riding together came to a stretch where new tar/chip was being done and they couldn't slowdown or stop because they had an 18 wheeler barrelling down on them. The riders described it as an "avalanche of stones" flicking everywhere.

It does have to be fitted very carefully as there is not a lot of space between the tire and the belt. It would be very easy for it to end up rubbing on either and as it sticks in place very hard to fix. There's some photo's I took when I fitted mine on the New Zealand forum:

Very nice clear pics

They should use them on the site they sell them on, it would make more sense how it is placed.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool good stuff i think

hi this belt guard was one of my first mods cheap and easy and haven't had a problem with it ....if its still there ill hafta check tomorrow cheers mick

Spyder Garage

Ive got pretty much everything Spyderpops has to offer for an RS. That dude is brilliant IMO.

Traveling in 90 degree weather with high humidity and I get 4 and even 3 bars on the temp gauge. That means my fan isnt even turning on! At least not until Im back in town at 35, or 25 mph and stopping at lights. And then it never goes over 5 bars.

And the skid plate? Buy one now! Ive got marks on mine already that I have no idea where they came from... And some that I do.

Im gonna have to say that the belt guard works, although I havent actually SEEN it deflect a rock yet.
    Last edited by daltmeyer; 09-01-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes look at the inside its totally wide open it wouldn't have cost $5 in production to enclose the inside but they didn't ,when we only had o spyder we rolled it out of the garage to my wife lets out the clutch to go raises her hands I look over belt on the ground broke a 1/2 stone hole that was as 3500mi now 35000mi on 2 spyders with guards no problem we ride gravel roads all we want I do have a spare belt zip tied to the frame under the panels you can put a belt on roadside if you had to (un like Harley which requires pulling swing arm ). One other thing everyone should note is that the sprocket on a spyder is all most as big as the tire so we are very careful when we take off in deep gravel because if you spin down into the gravel a few inches the sprocket will be running in the stones and the guard won't help this
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post

Excellent Pics! Thanks That will certainly aid in the installation.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Missing Belt Guard

YEP, and I guess it's working. I installed it the same time I installed the BumpSkid. I live on a gravel road, and have a gravel driveway, and haven't picked up a rock, yet, in 7,000 miles. Well worth the money, and installation is very easy. CapNCrunch

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daltmeyer View Post
    Ive got pretty much everything Spyderpops has to offer for an RS. That dude is brilliant IMO.

Traveling in 90 degree weather with high humidity and I get 4 and even 3 bars on the temp gauge. That means my fan isnt even turning on! At least not until Im back in town at 35, or 25 mph and stopping at lights. And then it never goes over 5 bars.

And the skid plate? Buy one now! Ive got marks on mine already that I have no idea where they came from... And some that I do.

Im gonna have to say that the belt guard works, although I havent actually SEEN it deflect a rock yet.
    Been looking at the skid plate too, don't remember if it fits an ST-S though