Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Bike over heating

My NEW ST-S was just towed back to Ease Coast Cycle because it is overheating. I rode it about 6 miles at 8 AM EST this morning, the temperature was 71% and before I got to where I was going the caution notice came on, then limp home. The bike has 110 miles on it. Anybody having this problem

Spyder Garage

Default Need to know..!!

more..were there codes etc. Will be good to know what they find. At that outside temp it is strange it would overheat. It could have been air temp to throttle bodies was hot but will have to see what they find..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Checked your profile. Not enough information to give a good answer. How about some more details? Year, model, etc.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Checked your profile. Not enough information to give a good answer. How about some more details? Year, model, etc.
    He said New STS so obviously it is a 2013.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    He said New STS so obviously it is a 2013.
    Sorry, missed that--need more coffee. I only had two sips previous.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Sorry, missed that--need more coffee. I only had two sips previous.
    Don't even talk to me with out at least 2 cups I might hurt you.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

there have been several ST's with over heating...limp mode....mine goes in the shop Tuesday...we'll have to keep in touch on updates....make sure the dealer checks your master cylinder...the heat shield is too short and some have melted...Canada had a recall today...check to see if your ST is running lean

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

man I hate to hear that picked up my STS end of May just turned 3200 miles this morning so far knock on wood not one problem... Hope you get it worked out.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Had my sts since April and nothing but problems .

Mine has been at the dealer 6 times since April and finally got it back from the dealer last week . This is going to be the first full weekend with it, in which I am planning to ride it thru the weekend . Lets see how she works since dealer claims they now fixed all the issues .

Problems recorded on mine were ,

1. Kill switch went bad
    2. Brake switch was no good as per dealer brake light stood on.
    3. When braking bike would veer off the the right
    4. When bike gets up to 96 in temp it would shut off , got no codes or limp mode
    5. Battery also would drain after leaving it sitting only one full day off the tender.
    6. Thumping noise coming from left shock
    7. Console dash loose , dealer said clips that hold dash got loose .
    8. Brakes squeak and grind like hell , dealer says its normal .
    9. Lastly that heat is crazy .

I know have 1400 miles and had nothing but issues ,
    I know this is spyder lover s forum but I am not loving my Spyder rite now , lol
    BRP sucks when I call to put in a complaint they don't return any calls .

Just making sure thus time around the Bike is running decent so I can pass on this headache to my buddy that wants to desperately buy it .

I have mention this so many times , to spend $20.000.00 straight up cash on this piece of crap . I should not have to be looking for bandages or after market parts to solve normal operating problems .

BUYERS BEWARE do your home work before buying .
    I ride my gixxer that cost me $ 11,000,00 with no issues
    Very sad because sts is fun to ride . When every thing works .

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear this

I got mine in May, but only have 5000 miles on it and never had it go into limp mode or shut down. I does get hot and I have added reflective heat material to the inside of the tupperware so now I only get the hot right foot expect on todays ride as it was only 62 out.
    Thankfully I have no melting of the Master cylinder cover, or boiling gas issues yet

I hope your dealer gets it fixed quickly for you.
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I only have 1000 miles on my STS-SE5. But, so far no mechanical problems and heat has not really been an issue. Yea it gets hot but even in my shorts it's tolerable. It has it's share of idiosyncrasies but nothing that is not considered normal based on what I have read on this forum. I am concerned though after reading about all the potential problems that can happen. I'll be taking it in shortly to get the MC heat shield update. Hopefully it's had all the other updates done on it before I bought it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed cause I really do love the thing. I hope it "love's" me back.

Spyder Garage

Default Wtf

Quote Originally Posted by Edsts View Post
    Mine has been at the dealer 6 times since April and finally got it back from the dealer last week . This is going to be the first full weekend with it, in which I am planning to ride it thru the weekend . Lets see how she works since dealer claims they now fixed all the issues .

Problems recorded on mine were ,

1. Kill switch went bad
    2. Brake switch was no good as per dealer brake light stood on.
    3. When braking bike would veer off the the right
    4. When bike gets up to 96 in temp it would shut off , got no codes or limp mode
    5. Battery also would drain after leaving it sitting only one full day off the tender.
    6. Thumping noise coming from left shock
    7. Console dash loose , dealer said clips that hold dash got loose .
    8. Brakes squeak and grind like hell , dealer says its normal .
    9. Lastly that heat is crazy .

I know have 1400 miles and had nothing but issues ,
    I know this is spyder lover s forum but I am not loving my Spyder rite now , lol
    BRP sucks when I call to put in a complaint they don't return any calls .

Just making sure thus time around the Bike is running decent so I can pass on this headache to my buddy that wants to desperately buy it .

I have mention this so many times , to spend $20.000.00 straight up cash on this piece of crap . I should not have to be looking for bandages or after market parts to solve normal operating problems .

BUYERS BEWARE do your home work before buying .
    I ride my gixxer that cost me $ 11,000,00 with no issues
    Very sad because sts is fun to ride . When every thing works .
    Wow what a piece of **** my 2008 never gave me that kind of problems were the first ones better than these new ones? I thought they're supposed to improve on the product not make it under reliable and constantly breakdown
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!