Spyder Garage

Default Custom Paint Info Needed

Hello. I am the new owner of a RT-S SE5 and am slowly adding a few small items to personalize it. Sometime in the future I hope to add graphics. If i opt to have custom paint done ( airbrush or freehand striping) instead of the typical vinyl graphics, what type and prep work is required for the "tupperware" and what is the best type of paint to use for a long lasting durable finish. I worked in the automotive reconditioning field many years ago and worked closely with body shops. I'm familiar with different types of paint but there's a lot of new stuff I am NOT familiar with.

Thanks.

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Check out House of Kolors. That's what my husband used on his Spyder. Prep would be 400 grit wet sanded. They have great tech people too. Easy to work with too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Spyder Garage

I really like some custom striping. However, remember that not everybody does. Paint is very permanent, vinyl striping can be easily removed. Paint graphics can greatly reduce resale value.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you go to a pro for your pin stripping. They know what to use and how to prepare the surface. The most I can tell you, is it is not cheap.

Spyder Garage

I was at the bike shop two weeks ago and a rider had his bike pinstriped. I ask him who did his painting and he said a guy that did tattoos painted the pinstripes and said ask at your local tattoo places. Then you can get a big Spyder tattoo on your back.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    I was at the bike shop two weeks ago and a rider had his bike pinstriped. I ask him who did his painting and he said a guy that did tattoos painted the pinstripes and said ask at your local tattoo places. Then you can get a big Spyder tattoo on your back.

Mike
    Priceless!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your help. I may think about the possibility of having some work done on vinyl. I found a local graphics guy who has done a lot of custom vinyl work. He has the capability of printing any high resolution image ON vinyl as well as geometric vinyl layouts. This would allow me to have something unique and not "off the shelf" Of course this will have to wait until the budget allows. http://www.urstagraphics.com/index.html