Spyder Garage

Default Calling all spyderlovers: to Spyder?, or not to Spyder?: that is the question

Greetings All, ViperWolf here writing from Nashville TN. I am a long time reader of spyderlovers.com, a junior member and I infrequently post on the site. I have been admiring Spyders from afar for about 4 years now, all while saving a little here and there to eventually purchase one. I have been on Can-Am factory demo rides 3 times, and initially was leaning toward the RS, but after a 30 minute test ride found myself too uncomfortable when getting off the RS. I don't think I'm quite ready in life for the RT. Last year I anxiously waited to see if the alleged ST would surface, which of course we all know did. I have test rode it as well, and found it perfect. I have been close to purchasing a ST-S in magnesium twice now, with the 1st deal falling through when Can-Am showed up the morning I was making a down payment, only to repossess all of the dealerships BRP products right off the showroom floor related to the dealerships financial situation (was going out of business.) The second deal disintegrated on closing when previously unmentioned fees amounting to several thousands of dollars suddenly appeared on the bill of sale. I ended up reluctantly walking away from that deal as well. I remain Spyderless, but hopeful. I am posting to inquire about the multiple problems people have been encountering with the ST model, specifically heat issues, melting parts and poor dealer support and poor responsiveness from BRP. With the blow out prices, factory rebates and BEST coverage it seems the perfect time to move forward. However doubt exists in my mind when I see so many here on SL experiencing problems. I'm wondering about moving on a 2013 while the prices are low, or should I wait to see if the 2014 models show resolution to so many issues. I realize the ST is in it's first year of production, and the bugs are still being worked out. Limp mode? legs and feet burning? melting parts? spyders on fire? home made heat shields? Heat wrap? the list goes on and on. Should I be hesitant that so many are improvising modifications on a $20K+ brand new vehicle just to make it run? Or, do these postings on SL magnify a relatively small issue affecting few into seemingly larger one? Has anyone had a problem free year on an ST? Experienced positive support from CanAm/BRP? I look forward to hearing peoples meaningful responses. Thanks in advance, ViperWolf

ViperWolf (work ryde & play ryde)
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that both deals did not go thru... but you can find out about other dealers like Pitbull, Cowtown, and even in the state like here in Memphis or in Knoxville.

As far as your Spyder or not Spyder question... I think reading most of the posts can answer that if you read on. Most of us here are happy, the ones that are not here posting are out riding, and you have a handfull that are not happy. IMHO... Doing what I just mentioned made me own 3 s already and others have done the same... happy owners!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

i would say wait until the 14's are announced. #1 See if they have improved anything. #2 You will get a better price on a 2013 once these come out/ win win for you. Issues, well.....youve read it all.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    i would say wait until the 14's are announced. #1 See if they have improved anything. #2 You will get a better price on a 2013 once these come out/ win win for you. Issues, well.....youve read it all.
    I would agree with this but would add that if I had a dealer I trusted, I'd buy a 2013, if I didn't I'd wait for a 2014. There are far more people with trouble free 13's, they're just quiet, but the dealer's role is critically important particularly with the 13's. It sounds like you were fortunate to have avoided a couple of dealers who could have really spoiled the experience.
    2012 RS Black - Fox Shocks, BRP Touring Windshield, BRP Sport Rack, BRP Backrest, BRP 1"Riser,Kuryakyn Console Inserts, Spyder Pops Missing Air Dam and Heat Shield
    Next Up - Madstad Brackets, Floorboards, Kuryakyn Iso-Grips

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I was hesitant also with the ST issues. I have a 2008 GS 10,000 trouble free miles and a 13 STS with 1,000 trouble free miles. No regrets so far with the STS .

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

Please don't let what you read here about problems with these roadsters sway you. Remember here is where they come for help and if you count them there aren't that many. All the happy wrinkle free ryders are out ryding yet a few do chime in. Most are minor issues with mods, farkels, and the learning process. You are very close to the new models coming out so you could wait to see whats coming down the pike. I'm sure there will be offers after that as well. Hope you have better luck...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Totally Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by steve635 View Post
    I would agree with this but would add that if I had a dealer I trusted, I'd buy a 2013, if I didn't I'd wait for a 2014. There are far more people with trouble free 13's, they're just quiet, but the dealer's role is critically important particularly with the 13's. It sounds like you were fortunate to have avoided a couple of dealers who could have really spoiled the experience.
    steve635 is spot on. Your dealer can make or break a really good ryde-from walking out of the showroom to your first service department encounter.
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you're ready...
    The 2013s seem to be showing a few more issues than past years; but there's still FAR more folks out there happily piling on the miles, who don't waste time on computers...
    Steve's right; find the right dealer!
    But since the 2014s are now getting closer; it might be fun to wait and see what they've done to the bikes for the new year.
    More than half of the fun is in the shopping anyway
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Solid dealers Make the Best Dealers

We are all human, some of us are more then others and we like going cheap. Going cheap sometimes costs more you expect in the overall scheme of things. You should make your Spyder purchase based on which one fits you and your plans.

You can get along without spending a ton of money for accessories because you don't really need everything to enjoy the hobby of riding. You just need the basics, good helmet, jacket or jackets, gloves, rain suit and a collection of seasonal clothing.

As several stated in the forum there are many owners that never post because they are not having problems. Many posters discover they don't know how to use a system and don't bother to read the Owners Manual first. They just sit down and put it on the forum and let someone else tell them what to do. It is easier but may not be quicker.

Finding a good solid dealer is the real challenge and the most important part of the whole buying cycle. Tossing in a good to excellent Service Department with knowledgable Techs is like finding a $100. On the sidewalk. Adding in a good knowledgable Parts Department is like getting a good chocolate shake it just sweetens the whole deal up!

Waiting for the 2014 model to hit the dealers door then buying a leftover 2013 may or may not be a good choice as you may not get what you want. But then again it maybe the wiser choice. It is a judgement call that only you can make at this point.

Good luck with your decision making and when you do,

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    We are all human, some of us are more then others and we like going cheap. Going cheap sometimes costs more you expect in the overall scheme of things. You should make your Spyder purchase based on which one fits you and your plans.

[snip]

Finding a good solid dealer is the real challenge and the most important part of the whole buying cycle. Tossing in a good to excellent Service Department with knowledgeable Techs is like finding a $100. On the sidewalk. Adding in a good knowledgeable Parts Department is like getting a good chocolate shake it just sweetens the whole deal up!

Waiting for the 2014 model to hit the dealers door then buying a leftover 2013 may or may not be a good choice as you may not get what you want. But then again it maybe the wiser choice. It is a judgement call that only you can make at this point.

Good luck with your decision making and when you do,
    The dealer is critical to a good experience. There are certain dealers who apparently never have dissatisfied customers. There are others who don't know beans from good apple butter about Spyders and their customers are frequently unhappy. According to Spyderlovers members, Tennessee is blessed with a number of good dealers. America's Motor Sports in Madison, TN and Mid-South Motoplex in Clarksville, TN have both been mentioned as good dealers.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default "to Spyder or not Spyder" SPYDER!!

I agree with most of the previous posts. I have a 2011 RT S that I bought new and have loved every minute of riding it. I have not had any issues with it and I would recommend the Spyder to anyone interested. Everything mechanical will have an issue or two, sooner or later, but that is just the nature of a manmade beast. I have been riding 2 wheelers for over 40 yrs and my Spyder is the BEST riding experience I have had. The only regret I have is that my deteriorating health precludes me from riding anymore and am forced to sell it. Good hunting and ride safe.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I own a 2013 ST-L...

...and have had some problems...but both BRP and my dealership worked in concert with one another to resolve them. I will reiterate what others have said...make your purchase wisely; up to and including the dealership. I wanted to buy a 2012 RSS but waited so late in the year (June 2013) that I couldn't find a 2012 new at dealerships at all, much less the model/color I wanted. Bought the ST because of that...paid $4,000 more than what they're currently going for, but I also put on over 2600 miles in a couple of months. I don't regret my purchase a bit (encountered issues and all) and would say my machine is reliable as I have gone on several group rides and Poker Runs the last couple of months.

Lastly, as others have also said...remember that this forum, by its inherent nature, is a place that those with problems utilize in search of a solution (and others will merely vent). It really does skew ones perception into thinking Spyders are problem ridden. As a whole, they are not...in my opinion.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steve635 View Post

I agree and this is spot on

The dealer I got mine from is tops around here, he gave me a good deal on my bike but 20 minutes up the road probably could of got a better price on the same bike but , a good quality honest dealer is better then a little better on the price. As far as the 13's vs the 14's don't know what the future will bring but I was very interested in the color and who knows if the 14's would have the color I wanted. As far as the problems with the 13's mine does get a little warm on the leg but the bike doesn't run hot , it's more the way the exhaust is ran and gonna try coating the exhaust this winter and see if that helps other then that I love my bike and my choice. Longer rides are little tougher on the tail bone but I bought a sport version to ride it like a sport bike, on and off the seat is the way I like to ride it, the comfy seat that BRP offers is a option for the RSS if you want something a little softer.

I like the idea of the ST but like the sporty look of the RSS and that was my choice.

Good luck with your decision

Spyder Garage

I have been a member for years but like you seldom post. I have owned 2 Spyders, a 2008 GS and a 2012 RTS. Last month I went on an 11 day, 6,300 mile trip by myself. I had no issues and no hesitation to take the trip. Both of my spyders have had very few issues. I do read all of the issues people post here and it helps with me with trouble shooting. I think most people are like me, if they have no issues they don't post.

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 ST LIMITED

My hubby has the 2013 ST Limited and other than the heat issue, no problems in over 8,000 miles. We solved the heat issue by removing the rear 2 skid plates from undernearth (learned that simple fix here). It was a matter of about three bolts each side and done. I know he couldn't be happier with his ST.

I have the 2012 RT Limited and love, love, love it. Some heat issues coming up next to the glove box, and of course the right foot. I got the block off plate installed and I'm okay now, even on long rides.