Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default R-35 Saddle Bags

Does anyone have a picture of what the saddle bags look like fully removed?
    I've seen pictures with the frames still attached, but my understanding is using a small tool, the frame also disconnects from the Spyder.

If I were to add them, I'd probably use them on rare occasions and would rather leave them off a majority of the time...

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

The frame does disconnect pretty easily. All that's different then (if memory serves) is a hole in each (l + r) side vent covers and the longer arm on the turn signal stalk. Turn signals look "factory" but are just moved on the higher stalk. I thought I'd take mine off when not using them, but I've actually kind of grown to like the looks. They seem to balance out the bike more to me.

Spyder Garage

I don't have a picture, but all that shows is the turn signal extension "stalks" that are the rear mounts for the bag frame. Looks so close to stock you'd have to know what you were looking for to notice the difference. Even with the frames left in place and the bags removed the Spyder isn't ugly. The blake frames sorta disappear. The frames literally go on and off in 15 seconds using the special wrench that comes with the set. Don't forget if you buy the BRP bags and mounts, you have to buy the color panels separately. They are needed, so don't forget them.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The frames literally go on and off in 15 seconds using the special wrench that comes with the set.
    That's not my experience. They come off very easily and quickly but putting them back on can be a pita. The alignment of the stalks connecting point cause me to some times have to loosen the bolts holding the stalks in order to use the key to lock them in place and then re-tighten the mounting bolts.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know, did the R35 change in the last few years?

I'm watching some auctions with Part Number 219400127. It appears the current 2009-2012 model is listed everywhere as 219400301.

I'm wondering if they are identical... I could imagine a scenario where all they did was update documentation to include a new model year and had to change the part number because of it...

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    That's not my experience. They come off very easily and quickly but putting them back on can be a pita. The alignment of the stalks connecting point cause me to some times have to loosen the bolts holding the stalks in order to use the key to lock them in place and then re-tighten the mounting bolts.
    Loosen the body panels, back off all the mounting fasteners, then attach the frames. Then tighten all mounting fasteners securely. This will align the frames with the mounts. After that, they should install easily every time. Had the same problem with Nancy's until I did a realignment with the frames in place.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post
    Does anyone know, did the R35 change in the last few years?

I'm watching some auctions with Part Number 219400127. It appears the current 2009-2012 model is listed everywhere as 219400301.

I'm wondering if they are identical... I could imagine a scenario where all they did was update documentation to include a new model year and had to change the part number because of it...
    If what you are watching is for the 2013 or the ST, they are different than the earlier ones...same bags, different mounts.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

If what you are watching is for the 2013 or the ST, they are different than the earlier ones...same bags, different mounts.

The number was different completely... Neither the current RS or 2013 RS/ST versions.
    I called the store up, they said it was the 2009 model year, but that they should fit the 2012.
    Is this true? Or do the 2012 units include something to make them work on the 2009?

Maybe its as simple as the older ones said GS and the newer ones had a new model because of new packaging and instructions saying RS?

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Loosen the body panels, back off all the mounting fasteners, then attach the frames. Then tighten all mounting fasteners securely. This will align the frames with the mounts. After that, they should install easily every time. Had the same problem with Nancy's until I did a realignment with the frames in place.
    I'm going to have to do that myself. Left frame is fine but right is a brute. I rarely take them off so it has not been a high priority.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The number was different completely... Neither the current RS or 2013 RS/ST versions.
    I called the store up, they said it was the 2009 model year, but that they should fit the 2012.
    Is this true? Or do the 2012 units include something to make them work on the 2009?

Maybe its as simple as the older ones said GS and the newer ones had a new model because of new packaging and instructions saying RS?
    The 2008 to 2012 GS and RS are the same and the bags for anything in that range should fit just fine. You are probably right about the GS designation being the difference in part numbers...or they made some other minor change. Nancy has the earliest version on her 2008.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I don't see how what you wrote will make a difference. The body panels (plastic tuppterware stuff) does not interfere with the alignment of the saddlebag rack. Attaching the frames (saddlebag rack) without having the saddlebags may not allow the saddlebags to be attached after everything is tight.

In theory having the saddlebags attached to the rack on the bike and then tightening down the racks attachment bolts to the bikes frame should insure that when you remove the bags they should go back on without any problem as at that point everything is all lined up. In reality this is not what happens for me. I suspect there is a part of the rack that is not straight and when the bolts are tightened it pulls (flexing the rack frame) the rack so that the bags no longer fit after they are removed, but I can not find the bad area.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    I don't see how what you wrote will make a difference. The body panels (plastic tuppterware stuff) does not interfere with the alignment of the saddlebag rack. Attaching the frames (saddlebag rack) without having the saddlebags may not allow the saddlebags to be attached after everything is tight.

In theory having the saddlebags attached to the rack on the bike and then tightening down the racks attachment bolts to the bikes frame should insure that when you remove the bags they should go back on without any problem as at that point everything is all lined up. In reality this is not what happens for me. I suspect there is a part of the rack that is not straight and when the bolts are tightened it pulls (flexing the rack frame) the rack so that the bags no longer fit after they are removed, but I can not find the bad area.
    It is not the body panels that is the problem. It is the mounting bracket alignment (and tightness). The body has to be loosened to get at the bracket mounting screws. The instructions call for tightening the brackets down as they are installed, without the bag mounting carriers attached. This can leave them out of line. Furthermore, if the brackets aren't tightened securly, the alignment can change. The trick is to loosen the brackets, install the mounting carriers, then tighten the brackets securely. After that the frames should go on and off readily every time. You do not need to install the bags themselves when doing this, just the bag carriers. The bags themselves fit in slots in the carriers, and do not affect how the carriers mount to the Spyder. Several of us have experienced this problem and have cured it this way. It costs nothing but your time to try it.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 08-29-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

It is not the body panels that is the problem. It is the mounting bracket alignment (and tightness). The body has to be loosened to get at the bracket mounting screws. The instructions call for tightening the brackets down as they are installed, without the bag mounting carriers attached. This can leave them out of line. Furthermore, if the brackets aren't tightened securly, the alignment can change. The trick is to loosen the brackets, install the mounting carriers, then tighten the brackets securely. After that the frames should go on and off readily every time. You do not need to install the bags themselves when doing this, just the bag carriers. The bags themselves fit in slots in the carriers, and do not affect how the carriers mount to the Spyder. Several of us have experienced this problem and have cured it this way. It costs nothing but your time to try it.
    For someone doing a fresh install, do you need to put the body panels on before doing that adjustment or can you put the carriers on while the body panels are off and get it all properly aligned?

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Spyder Garage

For someone doing a fresh install, do you need to put the body panels on before doing that adjustment or can you put the carriers on while the body panels are off and get it all properly aligned?
    They need to be left loose until the carriers are installed and the brackets are tightened into place. Basically, just install
    the carriers before you tighten the fasteners, then proceed as instructed. There is something else missing in the instructions, but I don't remember what it is. Firefly had an instructive thread about the installation that points out that error.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

They need to be left loose until the carriers are installed and the brackets are tightened into place. Basically, just install
    the carriers before you tighten the fasteners, then proceed as instructed. There is something else missing in the instructions, but I don't remember what it is. Firefly had an instructive thread about the installation that points out that error.
    A few of us had to notch out the cover on the left hand side where the bracket comes down. The bolt holes on the cover underneath the bike would not line up. I just kept trimming away to get it right. This procedure was not in my instructions, but I believe later it was added.
    Randy
    HAPPY SPYDER OWNER
    GULF COAST SPYDERRYDERS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt John View Post
    A few of us had to notch out the cover on the left hand side where the bracket comes down. The bolt holes on the cover underneath the bike would not line up. I just kept trimming away to get it right. This procedure was not in my instructions, but I believe later it was added.
    Could you take a picture of where you notched it out? What tool did you use to do so? I just bought a pair of these saddle bags from 2009 so it probably has the old instructions

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Could you take a picture of where you notched it out? What tool did you use to do so? I just bought a pair of these saddle bags from 2009 so it probably has the old instructions
    You need to fit yours up to see if the panel needs to be modified. Most fit OK, and each fits a little differently, so if notching must be done to fit...it cannot be done ahead of time.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I can send you a pic when I get home. I'm offshore working right now. You could send ERAGS a pm. He had to notch out his also. Some people did not have to notch out at all. As far as taking the brackets off....if they are lined up correctly... they go on and off quickly. I've had mine on since 2009 and have not had to make any adjustments.
    Randy
    HAPPY SPYDER OWNER
    GULF COAST SPYDERRYDERS

Spyder Garage

Are the two saddle bags not identical? The right side saddle bag included the rear reflector installed, the left side saddle bag did not include a rear reflector. I'm still waiting for my color panels to show up, I don't know if its different, but that just seems odd to me.

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Are the two saddle bags not identical? The right side saddle bag included the rear reflector installed, the left side saddle bag did not include a rear reflector. I'm still waiting for my color panels to show up, I don't know if its different, but that just seems odd to me.
    The bags are identical (mirror images) the reflectors are held in by the color panels, so they can be lost if you ride before the panels are installed. they can also fall out on the garage floor or the packaging.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

The bags are identical (mirror images) the reflectors are held in by the color panels, so they can be lost if you ride before the panels are installed. they can also fall out on the garage floor or the packaging.
    The reflector definitely isn't anywhere to be found, I haven't begun mounting anything yet.

Guess I'll have to demand my money back.

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Spyder Garage

You can buy a replacement reflector from GIVI.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

You can buy a replacement reflector from GIVI.
    I'm assuming I'd have to call them? Their spare parts in their online store doesn't include reflectors.
    I see they have 3 models of the V35, is there a particular one that Can-Am used?

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Spyder Garage

I'm assuming I'd have to call them? Their spare parts in their online store doesn't include reflectors.
    I see they have 3 models of the V35, is there a particular one that Can-Am used?
    I don't know...you'd have to call them. Other owners have reported here that they have obtained replacement reflectors from GIVI.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Perhaps these might be worth a try???? http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/..._Reflector_Kit