Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I appreciate all the suggestions to fix my ST....but we have heat wrapped, rebuilt the heat shield near master cylinder, prayed...danced around bike and all kind of stuff...but everything has been approved by BRP....my engine is still running lean...causing a hotter engine....the coolant system appears to work over and above because I have never reach high bars on the gauge....but does it work....yesterday no high bar reading....just the hi-temp light came on and limp mode...after riding 1 hour.....I understand why those happened...stopped no air flow around engine....I just want to go riding and everything work

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    It's not bottom plate...that one is off.....it's the one that cover the oil tank and opposite .....I really want to...have sat out in the shop studying the panel....by husband, Mark says wait
    Oh that panel. Now I understand.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Char,
    Maybe it's time to sacrifice a pig...
    I recall you mentioning that it's been hooked up to BUDS for updates and reprogramming; do they have ANY idea as to what is causing the bike to run lean?
    If it's not electronics; I'd be looking for a leak in the intake system somewhere...

Or a rEaLlY plugged-up fuel filter???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I appreciate all the suggestions to fix my ST....but we have heat wrapped, rebuilt the heat shield near master cylinder, prayed...danced around bike and all kind of stuff...but everything has been approved by BRP....my engine is still running lean...causing a hotter engine....the coolant system appears to work over and above because I have never reach high bars on the gauge....but does it work....yesterday no high bar reading....just the hi-temp light came on and limp mode...after riding 1 hour.....I understand why those happened...stopped no air flow around engine....I just want to go riding and everything work
    My first occurrence was exactly like yours the LCD temp was 5 bars and it tossed a code & Limp. The second one the bars pegged for a sec at start up and dropped immediately. Both were short rides and after gassing up. It stopped 600mi ago and have not had another. I know it is frustrating for the $$$ we should all have perfect bikes but.....

As far as the engine running lean The ECM maps the fuel tables based on feedback from the O2 sensor in a FI engine after it is out of closed loop (warmed up) and should never run lean. Only 2 things could allow this to happen if no code is tossed. 1. bad O2 sensor 2. Bad ECM or Programming. How do you know it is running lean ? Spark plug diagnoses? If so keep fighting with the dealer and BRP. Good Luck.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

we pulled the back plug...chalky white...a flash on FCM and 2500 miles later...very light mocha...still to lean

Spyder Garage

we pulled the back plug...chalky white...a flash on FCM and 2500 miles later...very light mocha...still to lean
    Light Mocha is good IIRC we 2013 owners have an Iridium plug from the factory. (Bajaron told me)

http://www.densoiridium.com/howtoreadusedplugs.php

http://www.motocrossgear.com/blog/bi...ce/spark-plug/
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Mark says its still to light in color....the bike goes in the shop here in Houston...pray for my bike....but afraid to ride it to PitBull or even Greenville Louis Powersports.....I have an appointment Tuesday 9am

Spyder Garage

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/automoti.../lemon-law.php

I,m sure your aware of the above- And I realize its the last thing you would want to do!

BUT, Its no reflection on the dealer ONLY that the problem needs to be fixed by BRP or Replacement or Compensation MUST take place!!

Maybe it takes 10-20 Cases on record to get BRP to do something for the Rest That are suffering, Many of them have No clue whats wrong because they are NOT on this site?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat Soak

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Sadly seems when you stop in heat the "heat soak" syndrome kicks in. Then you get the high heat warning. Not always engine heat but air intake but still a pain. It's like you need to blow out the accumulated air under the tupper wear. Wonder if you go to the Kewl metal air cleaner and eliminating the oem air box could clear this problem up..?? Hope they can figure this out and you can trust your ryde....
    Chupaca is exactly right about this being a Heat Soak problem. It still occassionally hapens to me on those 90-95 degree days when i'm driving enough to get the temps on the bike up to normal operating tempratures...then, when you turn the bike off, there is no air or coolant flow (Hence the Heat soak) and the Hi Temp warning light comes on with Limp Mode. If you start your bike and let it run for 30 secs or so, the coolant will again be circulated and the bike will drop in temp and operate normally. I have dealt with the dealership and BRP extensively (BRP replaced my radiator, thermostat, cooling fan, and temp sensor in an attempt to control the overheating). Bottom line is that is although it is not a fix, but moreso a workaround, just start your bike and the bars will drop in half a minute...no limp mode, no Warning. The 2013 ST's seem to shoot up in temp when parked after a ride on warm days. I have learned to manage it until BRP can fully address it.

Here is a link to my thread on the subject including pics of overheating screen & invoices for work done in the effort to curtail the issue. I think you'll find it interesting reading...
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...969#post660969

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mark says its still to light in color....the bike goes in the shop here in Houston...pray for my bike....but afraid to ride it to PitBull or even Greenville Louis Powersports.....I have an appointment Tuesday 9am
    Good Luck! Please let us know what they find...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear this but it's a re occuring issue. The question is how long this will go on before the fix will come. BRP must be working hard but how long. For the members who did R&D on their own and sucessful should be given credit and awarded of some kind.
    I'm with you, for all the money invested we should a fair deal. God Bless us all.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

You folks have the right idea about BRP taking an active role in the fix. IMO--not enough said or done by BRP so far--and we are a couple weeks off from new model introduction. Wishing you a successful visit on the trip to the shop.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    .....Only 2 things could allow this to happen if no code is tossed. 1. bad O2 sensor 2. Bad ECM or Programming. How do you know it is running lean ? Spark plug diagnoses? If so keep fighting with the dealer and BRP. Good Luck.
    A couple of other possible factors...
    A bad connection can do it, altering the resistance and skewing the O2 sensor reading.
    Low (or high) voltage can do it, either failing to adequately heat the O2 sensor, or skewing the O2 sensor reading.
    A dirty or fouled O2 sensor can also affect the mixture, sometimes without the sensor being fatally damaged or throwing a code.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

i hope they find a fix for all your heat probs,and i feel your pain in dealing with all the trouble.keep us informend on the outcome.

Spyder Garage

Default High Temp

Hello Flamingo Babe
    We had a check engine light come on ours the other day. We took the key out and restarted it 3 times before it went away. I rode it to work the other day 32 miles away and it did not come on, but this 2013 ST has made us gun shy. We keep waiting for another problem, we have had so many. I hope they find your problem and fix it quick. Keep us posted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would call this ...REALLY lean....If it was on one of my bikes, I'd be changing jets and raising needles....spyder plug.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hotglue View Post
    I would call this ...REALLY lean....If it was on one of my bikes, I'd be changing jets and raising needles....spyder plug.jpg
    That would be an interesting approach on a Spyder. I'm afraid you and I are just part dinosaur, my friend. Somewhere down the line the world has passed us by.

That is plenty lean, though. Is it still that way? BRP didn't do us any favors by making the fuel mapping and timing completely unadjustable, IMO. Lucky there wasn't any aluminum on a plug that lean. My first RT did that, then switched to fouling plugs with a new ECM. There has to be a better solution!
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is not lean; that's too dang lean!
    H.G.
    And I'm with you; Lower the e-clips one notch, and go up one size on the mains...

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

This is the issue I just had before I took my bike for the 600 mile service.
    My dealer said this IS a BRP known issue and there needs to be a software update to keep the bike from saying the temp is too high.
    BRP just doesn't have the software update ready yet.

In the meantime - I was told to ride it in limp mode if it's in a safe area - so that the coolant starts to flow again and air starts blowing over engine.

I do hope all these issues can be addressed and fixed.

Spyder Garage

My ST has never shown high temp on the gauge/bars....I question if it works properly....light has come on and limp mode.......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Canada has called them on it; perhaps NHTSA will be next...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    That would be an interesting approach on a Spyder. I'm afraid you and I are just part dinosaur, my friend. Somewhere down the line the world has passed us by.

That is plenty lean, though. Is it still that way? BRP didn't do us any favors by making the fuel mapping and timing completely unadjustable, IMO. Lucky there wasn't any aluminum on a plug that lean. My first RT did that, then switched to fouling plugs with a new ECM. There has to be a better solution!
    Scotty, here are the before and after pics of the plugs for comparison. The after plug pic is taken after BRP at Pitbull make a change, and has 2000 miles on it. spyder plug.jpg Now for the after pic. resize after plug.jpg Still pretty lean. but not as bad.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The second plug definitely looks much better!
    (I'd almost call it, "Good to go", but it could use just a little bit more color on the senter ceramics,,, )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Canada has called them on it; perhaps NHTSA will be next...
    Bob...the recall from Canada is for a new heat shield to protect the master cylinder from melting... and thank you BRP...and the USA will follow soon.....it does not address the heat issues with over heating, running lean etc.....the heat is still there...the master cylinder will now be protected

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hotglue View Post
    Scotty, here are the before and after pics of the plugs for comparison. The after plug pic is taken after BRP at Pitbull make a change, and has 2000 miles on it. spyder plug.jpg Now for the after pic. resize after plug.jpg Still pretty lean. but not as bad.
    That looks better. Still lean, but not unusual for an EPA approved smog engine. I understand the pitfalls for a manufacturer in allowing any changes that could updet the EPA applecart, but it sure would be nice to have a limited ability to tune things...much like the jets and needle settings of our youth.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!