Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default High Temps...Limp Mode

Today I had to run errands...about 90 degrees F so I took the 2013 ST-L that has all the heat issues....I had 160 miles showing on a tank of gas....wow...when the ST is running good I get 36mpg...great.....gas light came on...pulled in to get gas....knew I was going home in about an hour so only put 2 gallons in ....hate to put the bike up with full tank of gas....turned key on...."High Temp" light is showing...start engine...then across the screen....High Temps...Limp Mode....I was at the pump of gas station and decided to leave ...did not want to catch fire at the pump....bike hesitant to go....then everything on the screen went away...I still had 4 bars with no color...so technically the engine should not be high temps.... so I just went home.......I need for this bike to be fixed...so I'm not afraid to ride it...I'm so tired of complaining.....
    Thanks....think I'll go cry....remember...I a girl

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

Sadly seems when you stop in heat the "heat soak" syndrome kicks in. Then you get the high heat warning. Not always engine heat but air intake but still a pain. It's like you need to blow out the accumulated air under the tupper wear. Wonder if you go to the Kewl metal air cleaner and eliminating the oem air box could clear this problem up..?? Hope they can figure this out and you can trust your ryde....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I am so sorry to hear of the continuing heat issues with your new . All this was after you did a lot of mods with heat tape etc. to try to alleviate the heat problem?

Issues like you are experiencing do not build one's confidence in the ability of the machine to perform properly when you are out and about.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default High Temps...Limp Mode

My 2010 Rt has never given me heat issues except for occasional hot right foot which Spyderpops corrected. Been out riding all summer here in Arkansas with temps in the 90's and even into triple digits and no overheating issues. What makes the 2013 so different?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunkandpudge View Post
    My 2010 Rt has never given me heat issues except for occasional hot right foot which Spyderpops corrected. Been out riding all summer here in Arkansas with temps in the 90's and even into triple digits and no overheating issues. What makes the 2013 so different?
    That appears to be the million dollar question.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunkandpudge View Post
    My 2009 RS with 54,000 miles never had any of this....but I am in contact with BRP, again and my bike is going to the shop...

Spyder Garage

"High Temps...Limp Mode"

This shouldn't be "our" problem to fix !!!
    BRP... are you listening ???

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Sadly seems when you stop in heat, the "heat soak" syndrome kicks in. Then you get the high heat warning. Not always engine heat but air intake but still a pain. It's like you need to blow out the accumulated air under the tupperware.
    I think that you're right on track, Gene.
    Wherever that temperature sensor is under the bodywork; a bit of airflow to it might just make all of the difference!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think that you're right on track, Gene.
    Wherever that temperature sensor is under the bodywork; a bit of airflow to it might just make all of the difference!

Ok, here's the answer-
    my son had a 2009 Buell Ulysses .
    Great bike with that big air-cooled Harley Twin. Damn, I couldn't get on it, too tall for my short legs!
    When ya shut that bike down, a fan at the rear of the motor would come on to cool things down a bit.
    BRP, you listening.......

Bill

Spyder Garage

Default Using a blower to reduce operating temps & heat soak...

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Sadly seems when you stop in heat the "heat soak" syndrome kicks in. Then you get the high heat warning. Not always engine heat but air intake but still a pain. It's like you need to blow out the accumulated air under the tupper wear. Wonder if you go to the Kewl metal air cleaner and eliminating the oem air box could clear this problem up..?? Hope they can figure this out and you can trust your ryde....
    I have been testing use of a 12v blower under the Rh front fender on my RT with very good results. Recently I had a chance to get some good tests on the trip to Birmingham and more than once was able to pull down the temps under the tupperware by turning on the blower. Running the blower for a short period after shutoff puts a halt to heat soak... Replacing the stock airbox (with KewlMetal Kit) is probably a key part of this since a blower would have limited effect with that huge airbox still in place.

Using a dash gauge I installed demonstrates the drop in temps, no maybes about it! I live in Tennessee with moderate heat and the improvement is clear... .Texas or Florida would be a far better test!

I am still experimenting with postioning of the fan and am about to try a larger blower (4") to replace the one shown below...

Here's a couple of pics of what I have been testing so far...

Fan1.jpg RT-bilge-fan.jpg Intake-temp.jpg Fan2.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    "High Temps...Limp Mode"

This shouldn't be "our" problem to fix !!!
    BRP... are you listening ???
    I totally agree with you!
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    I have been testing use of a 12v blower under the Rh front fender on my RT with very good results. Recently I had a chance to get some good tests on the trip to Birmingham and more than once was able to pull down the temps under the tupperware by turning on the blower. Running the blower for a short period after shutoff puts a halt to heat soak... Replacing the stock airbox (with KewlMetal Kit) is probably a key part of this since a blower would have limited effect with that huge airbox still in place.

Using a dash gauge I installed demonstrates the drop in temps, no maybes about it! I live in Tennessee with moderate heat and the improvement is clear... .Texas or Florida would be a far better test!

I am still experimenting with postioning of the fan and am about to try a larger blower (4") to replace the one shown below...

Here's a couple of pics of what I have been testing so far...

Fan1.jpg RT-bilge-fan.jpg Intake-temp.jpg Fan2.jpg
    Sorry, don't take this the wrong way, but if we continue to try and solve this problem, BRP arn't going to make any effort to anti up and fix it, and the majority of us will suffer due to it, besides if your solution which seems to be a good one ends up causing some other problem, what happens to BRP Warranty. I'm not wanting to or should I invest more money to solve a major problem that is BRPS

Spyder Garage

The radiator fan on my 2010 usually runs, after the spyder if turned off for maybe 15 seconds. Not sure of the exact time but it does run. I have the bottom panels removed and utilize spyderpops block off plate (upper hole). I am sure this helps remove some of the heat build up when the machine is shut down. I have never had a heat issue while running or during shutdown,( just the typical right foot heat hence the blockoff plate). Does the fan run after shutdown on the 2013 models?? Just trying to figure out why there is such a difference in the models with the heat being trapped.
    Last edited by StanProff; 08-27-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

yes...the fan runs after shutdown....30seconds....the bottom panel has been removed....the panels on each side...one that covers oil and opposite ...where they connect to upper panel has no vent...that open area on the earlier models...has been shut off....I asked at Owners event if I could just cut a vent in each or completely out...the techs told me no...but I would like to...just to let the hot air out

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    I asked at Owners event if I could just cut a vent in each or completely out...the techs told me no...but I would like to...just to let the hot air out
    What have you got to lose by now? I would go ahead and put a 3 or 4 inch hole in each bottom plate.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Default sorry

Charlene! so sorry to hear this! but what the heck the Atwood fan looks cheap looks like a good solution. wonder if it'll work if I keep my stock airbox on my 2012 RT?
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    What have you got to lose by now? I would go ahead and put a 3 or 4 inch hole in each bottom plate.

Carl
    It's not bottom plate...that one is off.....it's the one that cover the oil tank and opposite .....I really want to...have sat out in the shop studying the panel....by husband, Mark says wait

Spyder Garage

Today I had to run errands...about 90 degrees F so I took the 2013 ST-L that has all the heat issues....I had 160 miles showing on a tank of gas....wow...when the ST is running good I get 36mpg...great.....gas light came on...pulled in to get gas....knew I was going home in about an hour so only put 2 gallons in ....hate to put the bike up with full tank of gas....turned key on...."High Temp" light is showing...start engine...then across the screen....High Temps...Limp Mode....I was at the pump of gas station and decided to leave ...did not want to catch fire at the pump....bike hesitant to go....then everything on the screen went away...I still had 4 bars with no color...so technically the engine should not be high temps.... so I just went home.......I need for this bike to be fixed...so I'm not afraid to ride it...I'm so tired of complaining.....
    Thanks....think I'll go cry....remember...I a girl
    Had that happen a couple of times if you start it shut off and restart it will go away it is a soft limp mode too probably p0217 fault. Hasn't done it lately but it hasn't been over 90 lately too. Stopping for gas does not give the heat soak enough time to cool down.It hasn't happened in 600mi. now

BRP was on here last month and explained this one of 4 posts that BRP actually ever made concerning coolant and air overtemp faults. Don't worry about it it is no big thing here is the link.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ht=p0217+p0127
    Last edited by Magdave; 08-27-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default I sent you a PM that may help with ST heat soak

My 2009 RS with 54,000 miles never had any of this....but I am in contact with BRP, again and my bike is going to the shop...
    Sorry to hear of heat soak/limp mode problem on your ST. You have ridden in higher temps than 90 deg & no problems.
    Time for BRP to help your dealer solve your ST heat problems !!!
    Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Sorry, don't take this the wrong way, but if we continue to try and solve this problem, BRP arn't going to make any effort to anti up and fix it, and the majority of us will suffer due to it, besides if your solution which seems to be a good one ends up causing some other problem, what happens to BRP Warranty.
    Soooo... you'd rather be miserable, and wait for somebody else to come up with an idea?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Sorry, don't take this the wrong way, but if we continue to try and solve this problem, BRP arn't going to make any effort to anti up and fix it, and the majority of us will suffer due to it, besides if your solution which seems to be a good one ends up causing some other problem, what happens to BRP Warranty. I'm not wanting to or should I invest more money to solve a major problem that is BRPS
    This is BRP,s Problem to solve! I hate to say but the more you modify it to be acceptable is defeating your own purpose when they deny your warranty and the Judge throws out your "Lemon Law?" case in a court???

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that I'm just stubborn... If my bike was having a problem that I could adequately address; I'd tackle it just so that I could ride it without having to complain about it...
    Most of what has been suggested as ways to combat the heat issues are not invasive and completely reversible. BRP knows that this is an issue; they also know that a lot of folks are going to try to do what is necessary to be able to ride their bikes.
    Voiding a warranty?? I doubt it...

Spyder Garage

Default HEAT ISSUES

Bob, I totally agree with you. BRP has known about these heat issues and melting of the MC caps on some 2013's, but to my knowledge has done nothing. If we riders were to wait for BRP, our whole riding season is shot! Many of us including myself have had success solving our own heat issues. My MC cap is now well insulated and the heat issues on my left leg have been solved. I am a happy Spyder rider. Thanks to others on this forum, we can solve a lot of issues.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Soooo... you'd rather be miserable, and wait for somebody else to come up with an idea?
    Wellll not miserable, just frustated that the solution (not the idea) come from the right people in this case its BRP, wouldn't you agree.

Spyder Garage

I guess that I'm just stubborn... If my bike was having a problem that I could adequately address; I'd tackle it just so that I could ride it without having to complain about it...
    Most of what has been suggested as ways to combat the heat issues are not invasive and completely reversible. BRP knows that this is an issue; they also know that a lot of folks are going to try to do what is necessary to be able to ride their bikes.
    Voiding a warranty?? I doubt it...
    they know (BRP) that a lot of folks are going to try----- I rest my case