Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    La Grande, Oregon "In The Blue Mountains, On The Oregon Trail"
    Spyder Garage

Default What have you hit with your Spyder.........

.............and how did you, your co-rider, your Spyder, and what you hit fare? Just wondering.

I've been considering going back to two wheels. I really, really miss leaning in the curves. Then, a couple of weeks ago, a buddy was riding his brand new Suzuki cruiser, a few days after the start of a five week motorcycle tour from his Oregon home, and he hit a "killer deer" in Montana as he was going about 60 mph.

Another driver saw it all, and my buddy doesn't remember a lot about the collision, but says that he does remember sliding for a long ways on the pavement. He believes that the large front fairing of his cruiser helped.

Somewhere in mid air, he and the deer collided. He cracked a rib, had a lot of bruising, but he had on all the safety gear, and he survived. The bike was a total, and so was the deer.

Sooooooo, as much as I miss two, I'm not sure that I want to miss the stability of three. That's why I'm wondering what you've hit, and how things went. Thanks. <M>
    2012 RT/S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well... Let's see...
    First; I hit a Subaru!
    That wasn't fun; the Missus was in the Jeep behind me and saw the entire episode unfold!
    End result: $13,000 in damages to the Spyder, and $,000 to the Suby...
    Next; I got sideswped by a Van...
    My left front fender really cobbed up the side of his vehicle... Curiously; I suffered no damage!
    The third chapter opens up with me hitting a dog.. I managed to take the poor sucker with the right front tire, so the bodywork under the nose was safe.
    But it busted my center windshield strut!
    I guess when the bike landed; it took a good hard landing back on the road...
    So as you can see; I'm a dues-paying member of the Spyder Crash Test Dummies Club!

But to balance out all of the carnage: I use the bike to hit the local pizza joints, ice cream stands, diners, dealers, and coffee houses too!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-26-2013 at 05:38 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Racoon

I hit a racoon at night on a long sweeping curve doing around 50 coming home from work. I swerved just a little and managed to hit him with the front struts. Neither wheel hit him, but it was dark, so I don't know if he survived. No damage to me or the bike, but I'm absolutely sure that if I'd been on two wheels on that curve, I would have been down.

farmerjim
    Jim Dumey
    Enjoy the Passage of Time with

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Spyder Hits

I have killed a bunch of bugs

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

When I had my Spyder I Turned a few squirrels into fly catchers when they straddled the front wheels. Hit a small deer no damage, and one full recap that cracked the air dam, But I welded the plastic back together. I did run over some a-holes foot backing up when he didn't move fast enough... No damage to the Spyder...
    Last edited by boborgera; 08-26-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default cat

Hit a cat with the right front wheel that was running across road spyder won that one, and I had a Jeep bump me in back tire, no casualties on that!

Spyder Garage

The balance in my checking account!

2016 F3 Limited Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Happily, I can say that I have not had any actual encounters with critters or other vehicles. Have had to dodge deer, bear, and moose, but so far, have won those battles.

That being said: I do believe you are safer on three wheels () compared to two wheels. When you lock em up and start that slide on two wheels, then the problems begin. Thanks to nanny, and three wheels the outcome seems to be better on

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default just watching!

i'm just watching these posts! not saying a thing.

Spyder Garage

I hit some kind of large bird that crossed in front of me while I was riding home from work one afternoon. It hit the sharp edge on the plastic just below the headlights and blew apart. No damage to the bike, but there was blood and feathers to be cleaned off after I drove the last mile to the house. One large feather was jammed between 2 of the plastic panels. Not fun to clean up, but that was the worst of it.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hovdestar View Post
    .............and how did you, your co-rider, your Spyder, and what you hit fare? Just wondering.

I've been considering going back to two wheels. I really, really miss leaning in the curves. Then, a couple of weeks ago, a buddy was riding his brand new Suzuki cruiser, a few days after the start of a five week motorcycle tour from his Oregon home, and he hit a "killer deer" in Montana as he was going about 60 mph.

Another driver saw it all, and my buddy doesn't remember a lot about the collision, but says that he does remember sliding for a long ways on the pavement. He believes that the large front fairing of his cruiser helped.

Somewhere in mid air, he and the deer collided. He cracked a rib, had a lot of bruising, but he had on all the safety gear, and he survived. The bike was a total, and so was the deer.

Sooooooo, as much as I miss two, I'm not sure that I want to miss the stability of three. That's why I'm wondering what you've hit, and how things went. Thanks. <M>
    Well lets See- Rattle Snake in the middle of the Road Sun bathing...Got it good with back tire. A few rabbits,prairie Dog's No Damage yet, guy on Mtn bike that ran stop light-Damage to his front tire- bent to hell but none to spyder,Pot holes-I'm Afraid to look, Speed bumps- Minor scrapes to bump Skid Thank goodness ,Steak/BBQ house,Mall's- Lighter on the wallet so not so good but OH well.
    Last edited by happyspyder2039; 08-26-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Happily, I can say that I have not had any actual encounters with critters or other vehicles. Have had to dodge deer, bear, and moose, but so far, have won those battles.

That being said: I do believe you are safer on three wheels () compared to two wheels. When you lock em up and start that slide on two wheels, then the problems begin. Thanks to nanny, and three wheels the outcome seems to be better on
    I think Fred Rau ran over a baby calf when he first got his RT and was able to keep going.

with the above, it is just as important at what you were able NOT to hit

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Bought my Spyder this may and I was leaving the dealership was about 1/2 mile down the road and hit the biggest groundhog I've ever seen. I bout crapped my pants. But thank God I wasn't on 2 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Hit a deer that came out of nowhere three yrs. ago. Not pretty for the deer or the Spyder, but just thankful I was on the Spyder, and not on two wheels. He did approx $3000 damage, and the bike was tied up in the shop for five weeks. More pics in my album.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...20036-Deer-Hit

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Default Good news..!!

the only thing I have hit so far is the road and the passenger is loving it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Deer encounter

I hit a deer on Interstate going 65 miles an hour. Came out of the median, only had time to square out the handle bars and hit the brakes. Hubby was passenger. Spyder won. Put 3 large cracks in the frunk lid, scratched up the spoiler with his hoofs, knocked the mirrors loose and smeared up the windshield. About $1600 damage to the Spyder. In the shop for a couple of days after the parts came in. They only took a couple of weeks. Spyder was drivable while we were waiting for parts. Hit the deer square on and it threw it up and over us and it landed about 20 feet off the shoulder in the ditch. Drove it back to town and straight to the Police dept to report it. It was 9:30 at night and didn't want to wait for the HP since we were drivable, no injuries and deer was not a safety issue on the roadway. Wouldn't have wanted to do the same thing on 2-wheels, it would've been a different outcome. We have only had our 2012 RTLtd since Oct 2012. We are impressed with how it handled and the minimal amount of damage compared to what would've been with a different vehicle.

Spyder Garage

Now I'm scared, not riding my Spyder anymore.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Now I'm scared, not riding my Spyder anymore.

But then again....looks like Bob is hitting everything, so I might be good. Hmmm...

Spyder Garage

I have "hit" the 401K, the road, and lots of bugs.....................survived them all!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

But then again....looks like Bob is hitting everything, so I might be good. Hmmm...
    Just make sure if your riding up his way that you are on the lookout.
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Spyder Garage

Default what i hit

now i am new at riding spyders and thank god all i hit so far was a small bush
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found out what the problem was...

I had inadvertently read the part in the owner's manual about using the "Braille" method for offensive drving...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Only hit so far was an unexpected water puddle, happy i was on three and not two

Cruiser Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Hit a pit bull, left front tire rode him down the road about 50'. Dog got up and ran away with his tail between his legs. Spyder needed an alignment. Scared the wife but she's still ryding...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default What You Hit

I was on my way to the safety course I was taking for my. Had to be there before 7am (70miles)which meant I had to leave home at dark thirty. I had never ridden at night and never had written anything before the A car was coming up behind me I looked in my mirror for just a second and, BAM I thought I hit part of a recap. It was still running OK so kept going. When I go to school the instructor said I had something under my. I looked and found a baby rabbit wedged between the tie rod and where I have now put a bump skid. I love all animals and felt really bad I had killed one of Gods precious animals.