Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2009 RS...54,000 miles love it and almost trouble free.....sold it for the 2013 ST-L.....you would be ahead of the game if you wait for a 2014.....the headaches from the heat issues is stressful...good luck

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    Do they offer a learners permit? In NC, I was able to take a written test, get a permit to ride - alone. That was how I got it home, then just went out and practiced for a while before taking the test for the endorsement.

Yes, I have the permit. But it only allows me to ride if another motorcyclist rides along w/ me. I think they even said they had to be within 20 feet of me? What the heck?

And I have to hold the permit 30 days before I can get the real license.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Yes, I have the permit. But it only allows me to ride if another motorcyclist rides along w/ me. I think they even said they had to be within 20 feet of me? What the heck?

And I have to hold the permit 30 days before I can get the real license.

You're right... they have some stooooo-pid laws...

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSue View Post
    Capt.jim - thank-you so much for your thoughful response. I have a question for you. You say the steering has been resolved - how did you resolve it? The steering is probably my biggest concern moving over to the ST, as it has taken me this long to get up to speed around corners and such on my GS. Now, I just started riding a year ago when i got it, so there was a very large learning curve. I had a lot of fears to overcome, but have (for the most part) done so. I am not a fast rider by any means, but need to at least be able to do speed limit +5 or 10 (not including the yellow suggested speed limit signs) around the twisties. I live in the mountains of Colorado.
    I have a 4" riser that I have not installed yet. I put in highway pegs, but not real happy with them. So, I guess what I'm saying is I'm working on the farkles to resolve the issues I have with the GS, and don't really mind doing a few more.
    Many 2013 ST's and RT's came with ball joints that were too tight, some had alignment problems and some weak shocks also, making for quite a scary ride sometimes. Those have all been rectified now. It will still need Baja Ron's sway bar to clean up the handling in the twisties.
    The 4" riser will make it feel more like an ST if you have the ones you can adjust back. Not sure about your physical stature or strength, but one thing I would be concerned about riding the twisties a lot is the amount of steering effort required, you won't look like Popeye anytime soon, but your forearms will feel it if it's anything like mine, maybe some others ST owners will chime in on this. Mine may be an isolated incident.
    I have some highway pegs that put my feet in the exact same position on both, but the ST puts out a ton more air and it is hot. I fixed that so the heat is no worse than the GS, which isn't too bad, what is the problem with yours? Some other observations, the ST 60 watt headlamps are far superior, the nanny seems to kick in much sooner, and I'll mention the brakes again, Fantastic! The heat is the only issue I would really like to see resolved that might sway me to wait another year if I really had my eye on the ST. Good luck what ever you decide, they are all great, but my GS is just fine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    Many 2013 ST's and RT's came with ball joints that were too tight, some had alignment problems and some weak shocks also, making for quite a scary ride sometimes. Those have all been rectified now. It will still need Baja Ron's sway bar to clean up the handling in the twisties.
    The 4" riser will make it feel more like an ST if you have the ones you can adjust back. Not sure about your physical stature or strength, but one thing I would be concerned about riding the twisties a lot is the amount of steering effort required, you won't look like Popeye anytime soon, but your forearms will feel it if it's anything like mine, maybe some others ST owners will chime in on this. Mine may be an isolated incident.
    I have some highway pegs that put my feet in the exact same position on both, but the ST puts out a ton more air and it is hot. I fixed that so the heat is no worse than the GS, which isn't too bad, what is the problem with yours? Some other observations, the ST 60 watt headlamps are far superior, the nanny seems to kick in much sooner, and I'll mention the brakes again, Fantastic! The heat is the only issue I would really like to see resolved that might sway me to wait another year if I really had my eye on the ST. Good luck what ever you decide, they are all great, but my GS is just fine.
    Apparently I'm pretty strong, because last year I didn't know about the DPS recall, and mine started slowly going out, but I didn't notice - it was all so new to me. So, before I got it fixed I was muscling the Spyder around the Colorado mtns. When I got it fixed, it scared me how responsive the GS was - I had to re-learn how to ride it. I installed Ron's sway bar (huge difference, would do it again), the missing heat shield and air dam. So no real heat or stearing issues now with my Gs - plus I ride ATGATT, so feel the heat less that some who ride with less. My highway pegs don't feel substantial enough to me, as I had to use the riser version because I have short legs. Decided not to go with the floor boards, but probably would have liked them, although I don't like the idea of braking with my heel. Speaking of brakes, do not like the ones on the GS. I don't use them alot, but when I've needed them I have thought they were lacking. All that being said, I do love my GS. I finally feel like it is a part of me sometimes when riding, and I love that level of comfort with the machine.

The good news is I talked to the sale manager at RPM, and the guy who rolled his eyes at me when I asked for a long test ride of the ST is no longer with them. They will accomodate my need to ride an ST for a good ride,through some twisties etc. so I will get a chance to compare and see what I really think without having to drop $250 for a day's rental. He said I could take it out for a couple of hours, and that will tell me enough. Kudos to RPM in Lakewood.

All your advise and opinions are so very valuable. Thanks to everyone. I'll test ride the ST probably next week, and will let you know my impressions. Sue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSue View Post
    Okay guys, I need some feedback here. I've had my 2009 GS SE5 for 1 year and 1 month. I ride. Alot. I've put 15,000 miles on it since I bought it. I added the Corbin seat, Baja Ron sway bar, some highway pegs. No risers. I have the common complaints and loves of my Spyder. My hips and knees hurt after about 3 or 4 hours. I am not a rocket-butt rider, so it isn't about how fast I can go around corners (much to my BMW rider/rocket butt/boyfriend's dismay). I love how reliable my GS has been, how simple the computer is.

However, I like the more upright riding position and the floorboards of the ST. I feel like I could ride for a very long time and not get uncomfortable. At this point if I don't stop every 90 minutes to 2 hours and stretch, I'm miserable. I like the idea of better shocks and better brakes, although after 18k plus miles I still have 75% left on the brakes - I don't use them very much. I don't care for the looks of the RT (no offense to anyone, just a personal preference). I got a great deal on the GS, and it showed me that I do love to ride and will do so at most opportunities.

SO, a dealer in Wyoming has a white STS-SE5 ltd for $20,999 (including dealer prep). I'm very tempted, but am not sure if I will regret giving up my GS. I would sell it to a friend or on ebay, most likely. I just had the BIG service done to it, so it is in FINE shape.

Your thoughts?
    while I am certainly a newbie, I can tell you from a price standpoint you have good deal offered for the ST-LTD. I just bought my ST-LTD 2 weeks ago and got almost the same price. I even had one dealer refuse that same price

As for the ST. In the 600 miles I have ridden I love it. I also was not comfortable on the RT. my legs are too long and it is too upright for me. I find the ST a perfect "in-between" position

Go for it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Sue... Go for it!
    You'll be happy that you did!
    and your experience in this is????? We have a 2013.... wish we had the 2009 back....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am just the "eternal optimist"!
    It almost seems that not all STs are having issues, and I'm firmly convinced that BRP will get a handle on it.
    But you're right; I'm riding a 2010 RT...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hotglue View Post
    and your experience in this is????? We have a 2013.... wish we had the 2009 back....
    Throttle by cable no computer flapping butterflies for minutes after shutdown hand clutch that doesn't make me run 3500rpm bearable heat levels all dialed in comfort wise ,I live 200 mi from dealer we have 2 spyders for what 1 2013 costs I'm standing pat happy happy
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Default hey sue

your risers will make a huge difference in your comfort, floorboards will also. it did for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

I bought a STS-SE5 1050 miles ago and I LOVE it even with all the BRP/Spyder issues
    (excessive heat, clunky Trans, so so gas mileage, etc). It's really been a solid ride. I live in the north so heat isn't really an issue with me. The clunky Trans seems to be a standard trait, so as long as know the issues are stats quo I'll live with them. I considered a RS but the seating position was so much more comfortable on the STS. It appears you can add floorboards to the RS so that would fix that concern.
    I'm not happy with the black plastic dash, it scars/scuffs easily. I believe the RS has a painted surface there which is actually more durable.
    I love the platinum silver/black paint scheme and the dark gray wheels
    I enjoy the larger windshield.
    I'm not sure if I helped any but I thought I would offer another perspective.
    Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by golfsferr View Post
    I bought a STS-SE5 1050 miles ago and I LOVE it even with all the BRP/Spyder issues
    (excessive heat, clunky Trans, so so gas mileage, etc). It's really been a solid ride. I live in the north so heat isn't really an issue with me. The clunky Trans seems to be a standard trait, so as long as know the issues are stats quo I'll live with them. I considered a RS but the seating position was so much more comfortable on the STS. It appears you can add floorboards to the RS so that would fix that concern.
    I'm not happy with the black plastic dash, it scars/scuffs easily. I believe the RS has a painted surface there which is actually more durable.
    I love the platinum silver/black paint scheme and the dark gray wheels
    I enjoy the larger windshield.
    I'm not sure if I helped any but I thought I would offer another perspective.
    Good luck!

Keep the RPMs up higher and the tranny is smooth
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Long live the GS!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default go for it

that is a great price on a STL I really like my new STL and have 4000 miles on it my wife and I also own a 2011 RT with 14000 miles of happy 2 up cruising on it. the things that make the STL such a great ride for me are the Brembo brakes really a great improvement and I like the riding position and with the new floor boards I can ride for mile after mile comfortably. with the new lower profile and larger 15 inch tires it is really tracking nicely and is plenty quick to initiate a turn and holds a darn nice line while in the corner and yes you have to run this spyder at higher RPM's for smoother shifting and it also auto shifts down at around 2000 RPM versus 1800 for the RT my dealer lifestyles Honda told me that from the get go and they had the ball joints fixed before I picked it up as well. The other thing that i have noticed is the STL doesn't seem to get pushed around by wind and truck turbulance nearly as much as our RT i think due to better aerodynamics and the new suspension and tire upgrades however i do miss the huge wind screen on the RT some times and if you are considering riding with a passenger quite a lot then the back seat on the RT is really nice. I know this comparison may not help your decision between an RS and STL but it is all i can offer as i have not ridden a RS/GS .I have not experienced any real issues with heat however it is much cooler here in Washington state than most of the country the STL is way hotter under the tupper ware than our RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chuck gross View Post
    however i do miss the huge wind screen on the RT some times
    I have the Calsci extra wide windshield on my STS and its awesome. Best wind protection and quietest ride I've ever had. I tried 3 different windshields on my GS and two on the STS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydr in KS View Post
    I have the Calsci extra wide windshield on my STS and its awesome. Best wind protection and quietest ride I've ever had. I tried 3 different windshields on my GS and two on the STS

Could you post a picture of your ST-S with the Calsci windshield? I have one on our RT-Limited and considering one for our ST-S.

TIA,

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I said "DO IT NOW"; maggot!
    You do know that that actor works for Victory and helps them sell their bikes, right? (traded in a Victory which is why I know)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    Could you post a picture of your ST-S with the Calsci windshield? I have one on our RT-Limited and considering one for our ST-S.

TIA,

Carl

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...sci-Windshield

Spyder Garage

Spydr in KS thanks much for the pictures.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    Long live the GS!
    Amen to that Capt.!!!
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Love our '13 STS

No issues, but the new ones are just around the corner ?