Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Should I buy an ST or keep my GS?

Okay guys, I need some feedback here. I've had my 2009 GS SE5 for 1 year and 1 month. I ride. Alot. I've put 15,000 miles on it since I bought it. I added the Corbin seat, Baja Ron sway bar, some highway pegs. No risers. I have the common complaints and loves of my Spyder. My hips and knees hurt after about 3 or 4 hours. I am not a rocket-butt rider, so it isn't about how fast I can go around corners (much to my BMW rider/rocket butt/boyfriend's dismay). I love how reliable my GS has been, how simple the computer is.

However, I like the more upright riding position and the floorboards of the ST. I feel like I could ride for a very long time and not get uncomfortable. At this point if I don't stop every 90 minutes to 2 hours and stretch, I'm miserable. I like the idea of better shocks and better brakes, although after 18k plus miles I still have 75% left on the brakes - I don't use them very much. I don't care for the looks of the RT (no offense to anyone, just a personal preference). I got a great deal on the GS, and it showed me that I do love to ride and will do so at most opportunities.

SO, a dealer in Wyoming has a white STS-SE5 ltd for $20,999 (including dealer prep). I'm very tempted, but am not sure if I will regret giving up my GS. I would sell it to a friend or on ebay, most likely. I just had the BIG service done to it, so it is in FINE shape.

Your thoughts?

Spyder Garage

CHECK OUT THE PRICE FROM THE DEALER IN FLORIDA ON ANOTHER THREAD. YOU SHOULD BUY A TICKET TO FLORIDA AND DRIVE IT BACK!!!

Spyder Garage

If you are having comfort issues on you current , it may be time for a change. Been there and done that also. My hips have relegated me to the RT kind of ryde. The price you quoted sounds pretty good. It would be tempting.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-27-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    CHECK OUT THE PRICE FROM THE DEALER IN FLORIDA ON ANOTHER THREAD. YOU SHOULD BUY A TICKET TO FLORIDA AND DRIVE IT BACK!!!
    Here is a link to the thread I posted where you can get a ST-Limited for the same money you're about to pay for a ST-S. Prices are being blown out on the 2013 ST-L's right now. May involve some travel, but even with shipping or travel expenses it's cheaper than the full price ST-L that I paid just a couple of months ago.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...783#post673783

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    Here is a link to the thread I posted where you can get a ST-Limited for the same money you're about to pay for a ST-S. Prices are being blown out on the 2013 ST-L's right now. May involve some travel, but even with shipping or travel expenses it's cheaper than the full price ST-L that I paid just a couple of months ago.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...783#post673783
    Actually, I meant to say ST-Limited. The $20,999 price was for the same model, same color as your Florida dealer, but closer by a thousand miles or so. My bad, but you're right, that is a HOT price.

More importantly at this point - are you happy with your ST-L? Did you own a Spyder before?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Just a thought if your happy with your RS and could change the riding comfort for a little more than a new bike payment wouldnt you consider floor boards and Heli bar risors?
    My 2012 RSS fits me to a tee though i needed a more comfortable riding profile so rather than payments and more mods to a new bike i added the ISCI floor boards and Heli bar risors wow what a improvement weigh out the cost and what you have to make you happy and you will make the right decision.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

I bought the 2013 ST-S because of the riding position mainly. Having a bad back and a bad knee it seemed like the smartest choice.

Unfortunately I have only put on 40 miles so far so I can't give further input yet?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sue... Go for it!
    You'll be happy that you did!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes...i'd recommend one

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSue View Post
    More importantly at this point - are you happy with your ST-L? Did you own a Spyder before?
    Yes...I had an overheating issue initially but my dealership and BRP got me through that. I have been on a few organized rides now (Poker runs mostly) and love how my Spyder is performing. Like you, I wanted the ST-L because of the upright seating position, yet wanted the lesser weight and sportiness of the RS over the RT. Not only am I glad that I chose the ST-L, I would recommend one to a prospective buyer AND I would purchase the same bike again if I had it all to do over. I rode the whole line, and the ST-L was the right bike for me. It really is a personal choice though...others may tell you that the ST lineup is riddled with problems and defects.

Good luck in your decision making process!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    I bought the 2013 ST-S because of the riding position mainly. Having a bad back and a bad knee it seemed like the smartest choice.

Unfortunately I have only put on 40 miles so far so I can't give further input yet?
    Snoopy! I can barely get out of my neighborhood in 40 miles. Go ride that thing!! Or better yet, send it to me and I'll break it in for ya!

Spyder Garage

I traded my 2008 GS for a STS and love it. I have 3500 miles on it and can't imagine going back to a GS/RS even with risers etc. I can ride way farther in much more comfort on my STS
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Snoopy! I can barely get out of my neighborhood in 40 miles. Go ride that thing!! Or better yet, send it to me and I'll break it in for ya!

LOL

Only had it a couple days and don't have a motorcycle license yet.

Don't want to get busted.

Hoping to have my full license in a couple weeks, Virginia laws suck. LOL

Spyder Garage

LOL

Okay, all is forgiven. I got my MC license 1st, and then flew to Missouri to pick up my Spyder I bought on Ebay, and then rode it home to Colorado. 700 miles right off the bat. Figured I was going to learn to ride the damn thing one way or the other!
    Of course, it would have helped if they didn't have the front tires set at 36 psi. No wonder the thing felt so ginchy - thought I was going to end up in the trees. Read the manual that night in the hotel room and promptly adjusted the pressure down to 20. I run at 18 now.

Have fun!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Sue... Go for it!
    You'll be happy that you did!
    Bob, I KNEW you'd say that

Spyder Garage

Well, I am going the other unpopular way. I have both, I find my 08 GS SM5 with 42,000 totally trouble free miles, comfort seat, madstad shield, 3" riser block and highway pegs to be more comfortable. I have the dual-mode backrest on both. It steers easier by far, no heat to speak of, and the dash loads quickly before my buddies ride off, although it's not a problem to catch them on either one. My wife prefers to be on the GS also, says it feels more nimble and flies. Where the ST feels more planted and heavy, the GS feels more alive, especially around town. I do like the SM.
    The ST is very nice in a different kind of way, it's smoother than the GS, feels more planted due to the weight of the Catalytic converter and such, and the Brakes are fantastic. The automatic trans works great although I miss the control of the clutch. It steers and follows a line well, but takes more effort to do it. The heat problem needs to be addressed, not only from a comfort standpoint, but a safety issue as well, master cylinders aren't supposed to melt. The windshield works OK but I wouldn't want to look through it. The electronic parking brake is nice. Of course I have spent a ton of money on the GS to get it like it is, so it's really not a fair comparison, in stock form I would have to take the ST, for the brakes if nothing else. I would try to ride an ST for a couple of days if possible if your not sure, I would have hated myself for trading in my trusty farkled out GS for peanuts only to have heat and steering issues right out of the box, although the steering has been resolved. I love them both, but my nod goes to the GS, to each his own.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

LOLOnly had it a couple days and don't have a motorcycle license yet.
    fullmetaljacket.jpg I said "DO IT NOW"; maggot!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    Well, I am going the other unpopular way. I have both, I find my 08 GS SM5 with 42,000 totally trouble free miles, comfort seat, madstad shield, 3" riser block and highway pegs to be more comfortable. I have the dual-mode backrest on both. It steers easier by far, no heat to speak of, and the dash loads quickly before my buddies ride off, although it's not a problem to catch them on either one. My wife prefers to be on the GS also, says it feels more nimble and flies. Where the ST feels more planted and heavy, the GS feels more alive, especially around town. I do like the SM.
    The ST is very nice in a different kind of way, it's smoother than the GS, feels more planted due to the weight of the Catalytic converter and such, and the Brakes are fantastic. The automatic trans works great although I miss the control of the clutch. It steers and follows a line well, but takes more effort to do it. The heat problem needs to be addressed, not only from a comfort standpoint, but a safety issue as well, master cylinders aren't supposed to melt. The windshield works OK but I wouldn't want to look through it. The electronic parking brake is nice. Of course I have spent a ton of money on the GS to get it like it is, so it's really not a fair comparison, in stock form I would have to take the ST, for the brakes if nothing else. I would try to ride an ST for a couple of days if possible if your not sure, I would have hated myself for trading in my trusty farkled out GS for peanuts only to have heat and steering issues right out of the box, although the steering has been resolved. I love them both, but my nod goes to the GS, to each his own.
    Capt.jim - thank-you so much for your thoughful response. I have a question for you. You say the steering has been resolved - how did you resolve it? The steering is probably my biggest concern moving over to the ST, as it has taken me this long to get up to speed around corners and such on my GS. Now, I just started riding a year ago when i got it, so there was a very large learning curve. I had a lot of fears to overcome, but have (for the most part) done so. I am not a fast rider by any means, but need to at least be able to do speed limit +5 or 10 (not including the yellow suggested speed limit signs) around the twisties. I live in the mountains of Colorado.
    I have a 4" riser that I have not installed yet. I put in highway pegs, but not real happy with them. So, I guess what I'm saying is I'm working on the farkles to resolve the issues I have with the GS, and don't really mind doing a few more.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So, I guess what I'm saying is I'm working on the farkles to resolve the issues I have with the GS, and don't really mind doing a few more.
    Hi Sue,
    I suppose that you might have to just be careful about how much money you spend on making adaptations to your bike; versus spending it on a new one...
    The fun part is in the shopping anyway!

Spyder Garage

Quoting a good source (not naming names here... just met with him in Alabama recently) "You may want to trade a '13 for a '14" And they are just around the corner, so I would wait a little longer...
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

LOL

Do they offer a learners permit? In NC, I was able to take a written test, get a permit to ride - alone. That was how I got it home, then just went out and practiced for a while before taking the test for the endorsement.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Quoting a good source (not naming names here... just met with him in Alabama recently) "You may want to trade a '13 for a '14" And they are just around the corner, so I would wait a little longer...
    Of course, one can take that logic to it's conslusion and never buy anything because there will always be a new thing. My temptation now is that the price has come down quite a bit. But I also am reluctant to buy the 1st year of anything. One thought is to wait until this time next year when they are marking down the 2014s.

I think I have, however, decided not to buy an ST until I can ride one for longer than 4 miles (which is what RPM offers for a test ride). No, that's just not long enough. Maybe I'll see if George has one in his rental stable, and work out a deal with him for a day or two.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Of course, one can take that logic to it's conslusion and never buy anything because there will always be a new thing. My temptation now is that the price has come down quite a bit. But I also am reluctant to buy the 1st year of anything. One thought is to wait until this time next year when they are marking down the 2014s.

I think I have, however, decided not to buy an ST until I can ride one for longer than 4 miles (which is what RPM offers for a test ride). No, that's just not long enough. Maybe I'll see if George has one in his rental stable, and work out a deal with him for a day or two.
    The 2014 would be the second year for the ST. If they are lowering the price so steeply already on the 2013 doesn't it make you wonder how much more they will lower the price when the 2014 comes out?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The 2014 would be the second year for the ST. If they are lowering the price so steeply already on the 2013 doesn't it make you wonder how much more they will lower the price when the 2014 comes out?
    Yes, SpyderAnn, it does!

On another note, does anyone know if they resolved the heat issues?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know it's harder for a spyder, but that is sound logic. We do that when we're in the market for a car - way easier... If we see something we like, we will test drive it from the dealer, and if that goes good, then we find one to rent for a nice long trip.

Spyder Garage

I have own both, a 08 GS and 13 ST. By far the ST is my choice, GS was a bit faster off the line but that's the only thing that's was better. IMO
    I'd rather be on 3 wheels, but 18 pays the BILLs!
    We are a two SpYder family!

N1RDH