Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default what's up with my gas cap ?

the last few times i've put gas in, the cap is LOOSE. all by itself. this is the new style large cap that bob d. was nice enough to send me cause brp never did, and still hasn't. i do make sure it is tight after i get gas. this has just started happening recently. anybody else having this problem? i don't want to experience a spyderanne situation.
    Last edited by coz; 08-25-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    the last few times i've put gas in, the cap is LOOSE. all by itself. this is the new style large cap that bob d. was nice enough to send me cause brp never did, and still hasn't. i do make sure it is tight after i get gas. this has just started happening recently. anybody else having this problem? i don't want to experience a spyderanne situation.
    You need to watch Lamont's video on how to install the gas cap correctly?

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Are you tightening it a couple clicks, or just till it feels tight?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You're not alone. This is the response my service department received from BRP:

I have talked to BRP about this and they said that temperature change might affect the torque required to reach the click. As long as you are not noticing any fuel residue at the cap area this should be normal.

Temperature change? Ya think! Not quite sure what to make of their answer so I check the cap every now and then particularly when I get back from a ride. I raise the seat to let the "temperature change" out anyway.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

Are we talking rattling last thread loose or just easy to remove loose..?? Hard to imagine the cap coming loose on its own. Only thing would be heat pressurizing the tank causing the clicking feature to activate prematurely...upon cooling the cap is loose..good theory but will it hold water..??
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default pretty loose

one time soon after i got it, i didn't want to open, would just spin. could be a defective cap, i'll put my old one back on, never had a problem with it.

Spyder Garage

Mine is just the opposite. The last few times I've re-filled, it just spins and spins, clicking all the while. Finally after a few tries, it comes loose. Go figure. (and no, I'm and NOT trying to tighten it, for those who think that I am) I watched the video (twice) so I am well informed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    You need to watch Lamont's video on how to install the gas cap correctly?
    That's the video right after the "How to Insert Key" video isn't it?

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

one time soon after i got it, i didn't want to open, would just spin. could be a defective cap, i'll put my old one back on, never had a problem with it.
    Coz...

I sure didn't mean to send you a handful of trouble...

If it was me and my bike; I'd stop in to the dealer and ask them to replace it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

User Error.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default maybe

i'm not smarter than my gas cap.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default same here

Had to re-tighten the gas cap 4 times today at one point it was so loose that when i touched it with my finger it spun open. I thought this was one of the reasons for changing the cap in the first place...its not really reasonable to expect people to keep stopping to check their gas cap is still tight due to temperature changes...and if gas caps are so prone to this, how come my cars gas cap never does it no matter how hot it is and i don't want to hear how the spyder is different than a caris it really so hard to for BRP to find a gas cap that works? if they are supposed to be "ok" if they are "slightly loose" then why the hell all the fuss about tightening them in the first place...BECAUSE THERE SUPPOSED TO STAY TIGHT....i'm just saying...that's all .....ok i feel better for that

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Coz...

I sure didn't mean to send you a handful of trouble...

If it was me and my bike; I'd stop in to the dealer and ask them to replace it.
    Bob , i'm glad that you care about me more than brp does. thank you canam girls for backing me up on this. i really AM smarter than my DEFECTIVE gas cap. i'm probably smarter than my DEFECTIVE, LEAKING MASTER CYLINDER CAPS too.
    Last edited by coz; 08-26-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

It is the new "Child Proof " cap.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    It is the new "Child Proof " cap.
    Child-proof??? That's it! I've been beaten!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default me too

My hubby has been accusing me of not tightening the gas cap because every time he goes to fill up, it's loose. I just called the dealership and they want to see it when it's loose. I topped off on my way home on Sunday, but who knows if it's loose now. I'm sure not going to check it and see if it's loose and then leave it that way.... I figure I'll just get on and ride down there and hope it's loose when I get there
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Bob sends those broke gas caps out to everyone ................... No one told you
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

The truth about "clickable" gas cap is you are supposed to only get 3 clicks when you tighten it. If you spin click it you WILL ruin it. This may or may not apply to some of the people having issues. In the old days it did not matter how many clicks it does now since those too started to fail the OEMs came up with the 2 click recommendation.

Q: Do I need to turn the gas cap so hard that it clicks repeatedly.
    A: Different gas caps require different procedures. However, many vehicles today require the gas cap to click at least three times. If the gas cap is not installed properly, the “check engine light” can go on. An improperly tightened gas cap could allow excess fuel vapors to evaporate and enter the atmosphere. Gasoline vapors contribute to smog. The best advice I can give is to check your owner’s manual or to see if the gas cap itself has any writing on the top of it that identifies the procedure.
    Last edited by Magdave; 08-27-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Awhile back my technician recommended pressing down (light pressure) on the gas cap while tightening which I've always done and so far I haven't experienced a loose cap.

Spyder Garage

Default To remove and install a gas cap.

Gas caps are righty tighty and lefty loosey . That's IMHO.

MIKE

Spyder Garage

Default got a "new new" gas cap

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    My hubby has been accusing me of not tightening the gas cap because every time he goes to fill up, it's loose. I just called the dealership and they want to see it when it's loose. I topped off on my way home on Sunday, but who knows if it's loose now. I'm sure not going to check it and see if it's loose and then leave it that way.... I figure I'll just get on and ride down there and hope it's loose when I get there
    So I rode down to the dealership the other day and of course it was NOT loose when I got there, but they replaced it for me anyway. They put it under an "emissions warranty" in case anyone who has the same issue wants to mention that to their own dealership.
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default hey von

there is nothing wrong with our gascaps . most of the others said so. that makes us wrong, right? i hope no ones spyder burns down because of it.

Spyder Garage

To me the problem is obvious and BRP needs to fix it. These caps were not designed to be heated to the point of not being able to touch them. Plastic warps, seals deteriorate under extreme heat and increased pressure. Most of us do not live in the great white north. Some of us live where it never snows. C'mon BRP this is not rocket science a little common sense goes a long way. They need to insulate the smaller than everyone else's gas tank.

Spyder Garage

To me the problem is obvious and BRP needs to fix it. These caps were not designed to be heated to the point of not being able to touch them. Plastic warps, seals deteriorate under extreme heat and increased pressure. C'mon BRP this is not rocket science a little common sense goes a long way. They need to insulate the smaller than everyone else's gas tank.