Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Bike back on the road

Last week posted about a soft metal shifter My dealer told me it would be cheaper buy 4 shifters then weld the shifter on the spline because if I weld on the shifter the spline would cost a lot more to repair so true got pull the whole motor

Spyder Garage

If you buy four shift levers from your dealer, he is getting you right where he wants you...in the wallet. These come loose but are not known to fail at that kind of rate. Your Spyder needs to be properly repaired by a competent dealer. One new shift lever, properly fitted, with a bolt secured by Loctite should do the job if your shaft is not damaged. I'd find another dealer ASAP if it were me.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

if properly re-installed you should not have a problem. I worked on dirt bikes and quads which are brutal on shifting and only a few times did I re-shape the shaft and shifter to save splitting cases. Your shop is handing you a line. Even if your splines are worn you can file them deeper widen the gap in the shifter to make a tight fit...good luck...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's time to start looking for another dealer... This one is just setting the hook!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Agree. New desler.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

If the shifter keeps coming loose,there is a problem.

Could be as simple using some blue Loctite on the bolt thread or the splines on the shift shaft are worn or were machined undersize.

So did you just replace the shifter?
    Last edited by Spyder4Tess; 08-25-2013 at 07:25 AM.
    2011 RT LTD. Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default my dealer

I would weather pay for the shifter then over a $1000 for a overhaul on the motor yes it is put on right So don't cut down my dealer the shifter is made cheap nothing wrong with the spline just on the sift leaver
    Last edited by baldeagle55; 08-25-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Not my dealer

You asked a question and then got several answers that you apparently disagree with . Not one other person has posted about the same problem of "cheap" shifters . Why would you continue to disregard the opinions of others that all agreed that the problem was installation and not the product ? If I were you , I'd continue using the same "competent " dealer and continue complaining about getting nothing but bad parts.....................but somewhere other than SL. To me it's pretty obvious that if only one person is having the identical problem over and over again then it doesn't appear to be the part that is the problem. Just my opinion .

Spyder Garage

What is really happening with the shifters? In my years of riding and a lot of miles, I have never had it a problem with a shifter on my bikes or have I heard about shifter problems from any of the people I ride with.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    What is really happening with the shifters? In my years of riding and a lot of miles, I have never had it a problem with a shifter on my bikes or have I heard about shifter problems from any of the people I ride with.
    I'm not sure that I have ever seen a motorcycle in the last 50+ years where a shift lever bolt, kickstarter bolt, handlebar bolt, chainguard bolt, or something similar didn't come loose somewhere along the way. Periodically tightening bolts is a standard part of motorcycle maintenance. A loose bolt here and there does not indicate a design, assembly, or materials problem. If there is a raft of failures, all in the same location, that would be different, but that is not really the case here.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I'm not sure that I have ever seen a motorcycle in the last 50+ years where a shift lever bolt, kickstarter bolt, handlebar bolt, chainguard bolt, or something similar didn't come loose somewhere along the way. Periodically tightening bolts is a standard part of motorcycle maintenance. A loose bolt here and there does not indicate a design, assembly, or materials problem. If there is a raft of failures, all in the same location, that would be different, but that is not really the case here.
    I agree that what you are describing is maintenance and not a defect. My 08 Harley Ultra had a side stand bolt that needed to be tightened every couple of hundred miles. Not a defect but a real PITA. Is that what this is about?