Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default The dreaded right foot french frier

I hated that right side blast furnace AKA fan vent. I called my service department, and was told that, "that's normal for the RT-S," I find it unacceptable to have to endure that continuously. You would have thought they would have addressed that, since it seems to have been a problem more or less for several years.
    I'd seen the part that Spyderpops.com sells on the web, and it didn't seem that difficult to at least partially duplicate. I haven't been too affected by it, until yesterday when my wife and I were driving through Columbia, stop and go, stop and go, I had a pair of Croc's on and could not keep my foot on the floorboard, or the highway peg, now I'd just sprung for those highway pegs and was not looking forward to never being able to use them.
    The ad on spyderpop said the designer had cut up his wife's cookie sheet, if I'd a done that, I would probably have made contact with another of her cooking tools, her cast iron skillet!!!!
    I had a piece of aluminum flashing that I could use for the cover, I went by Lowes and got a package of pipe insulation with foil on insulated fiber self adhesive, the flashing was $2 and the insulation was just under $5. I cut out an opening at the rearward grommet fitted the curve, and left a 1" tab that went between the frame and the bottom piece of plastic, then lined the aluminum flashing with the pipe insulation, 3 small pieces covered the area exposed within the shroud. I've not been able to test it fully as the ambient temperature was much lower than yesterday, however, I didn't feel any heat at all. I also didn't see any rise above center on the temperature gauge, so tentatively, I think I've cured my croc cooker, and for about a $1.50, as I've still got more than half of the flashing, and nearly all of the insulation, which I can probably use in further Spyder insulating jobs.

Spyder Garage

Default heat

what year is your bike my 2013 doesn't have a heat problem
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Be sure to remove that bottom cover to give the heat somewhere to go ...
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    what year is your bike my 2013 doesn't have a heat problem
    Someone forgot to tell my Spyder that it didn't have a heat problem, it is a 2013 RT-S SE5

Doc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    Be sure to remove that bottom cover to give the heat somewhere to go ...
    Which bottom cover, the diirectional piece that comes out, or the piece underneath that area?
    Thanks

Doc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On finding a workable solution!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I likey the stripies

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

make sure you have somewhere for the heated air to flow. This may create a heat issue elsewhere. Nonetheless so far so good. You may have something there...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default heat

ok i see you have the same highway peg setup that i just got but have not installed yet so once i install them maybe i will experience it also will let you know
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Registered Users WV Spyder Ryder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Like the stripes....

Bruce

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    make sure you have somewhere for the heated air to flow. This may create a heat issue elsewhere. Nonetheless so far so good. You may have something there...
    Gene, Good point!

Spyder Garage

A couple notes - make sure you cut a hole in the bottom pan to let the heat go down, you will see references to this in others posts where they have blocked this off. Secondly, I'm not your mother, but riding a motorcycle or the Spyder with Crocs on, could quickly get you a Darwin Award . Other than that looks like a good solution.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

Okay, I'll chime in on this one. It's obvious that you have a 2013 RT-S. (look at the front fenders). The question I propose is although you have blocked off what I call the TOP "black hole" of heat, what about the one below it? I call it the LOWER "black hole" of heat. In fact it is the latter that causes me problems. If you place your foot forward on your 2013 floorboard, it is directly in front of that LOWER "black hole" of heat. This is where I experience the blow torch effect.

I'm not complaining because I had this heat on my 2010 and had Harvey at Spyderpops put on a heat shield. He also took off the pans underneath. I've just been too lazy or too cheap to get with him to have this done to my 2013. However, I am still a bit concerned that since you cannot remove the pans underneath on the 2013's whether the problem will be solved. I think that I'll still have that hot air blowing through the LOWER "black hole".

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor View Post
    Which bottom cover, the diirectional piece that comes out, or the piece underneath that area?
    Thanks

Doc
    There is no removable one on the 2013 You would have to drill holes in the swoop panel lower area. And as others have said Croc's are not suggested footwear for motorcycle riding. I use a good quality slip on leather shoe with ankle socks when it is hot (RJ Colt) and zip up waterproof boots on longer rides. I have felt some heat on my legs but nothing unbearable..

http://www.zappos.com/rj-colt
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Moving air is at a lower pressure than static air....so.....I'm wondering whether forming a short length of duct with a cross section to match the shape of the outlet so that the duct outlet is outboard of your foot and ankle to let the lower pressure of the outside air (vehicle is moving forward) induces the hot air out of the engine compartment...???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe that Lamonot posted that those 2013 model year pans are removeable; it just isn't quite as easy on the prior models...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I believe that Lamonot posted that those 2013 model year pans are removeable; it just isn't quite as easy on the prior models...
    The swoop is all 1 piece all the way down under the radiator You can remove the pan behind it to open up the engine bay but still have no airflow change from the radiator.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default ok ok

ok i have not found any issues with heat on my bike until today, i went out early and it was nice and cool and great riding weather. on my way home b4 i hit a ton of traffic on the parkway and stop and go for miles and i have to admit i was melting with my right foot. so when i first said i had no problems all i can say is SORRY
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Bob? I've looked and looked for that post. If you get a chance and it's not too hard, would you please post here? I'd sho nuff appreciated. (and I take back all the bad stuff I've said about ya. )

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker2011 View Post
    A couple notes - make sure you cut a hole in the bottom pan to let the heat go down, you will see references to this in others posts where they have blocked this off. Secondly, I'm not your mother, but riding a motorcycle or the Spyder with Crocs on, could quickly get you a Darwin Award . Other than that looks like a good solution. Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't normally wear Croc's, normally I wear diabetic custom shoes from the VA. This guy I submitted to the Darwin Award program, he got an honorable mention, because he hadn't been a recipient, YET I ain't got nothin' on this guy Doc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Okay, I'll chime in on this one. It's obvious that you have a 2013 RT-S. (look at the front fenders). The question I propose is although you have blocked off what I call the TOP "black hole" of heat, what about the one below it? I call it the LOWER "black hole" of heat. In fact it is the latter that causes me problems. If you place your foot forward on your 2013 floorboard, it is directly in front of that LOWER "black hole" of heat. This is where I experience the blow torch effect.

I'm not complaining because I had this heat on my 2010 and had Harvey at Spyderpops put on a heat shield. He also took off the pans underneath. I've just been too lazy or too cheap to get with him to have this done to my 2013. However, I am still a bit concerned that since you cannot remove the pans underneath on the 2013's whether the problem will be solved. I think that I'll still have that hot air blowing through the LOWER "black hole".

Chris
    Thanks Chris,
    I'd not had as much problem with the lower "black hole" I could get my foot rearward on the floorboard enough to get away from there, the upper, for me was the serious fry cook for me. I know the heat there, if left in place, would cause, at the least, a first degree burn to the right foot. Bombardier really needs to address that, I don't know how it can be done, but burns hurt, and I don't "very like" them, as my step son used to say.

Doc

Spyder Garage

On my 2013 RT Ltd., I too thought that I didn't have a heat problem. That was until I went from Iowa to Maggie Valley last June. I think the right side was so hot I did get a first degree burn on my right foot. Once I got to Maggie Valley, I had Harvey from SpyderPops put on the upper right side heat shield. While this helped a little it didn't do much at all. The lower hole on the right side puts out a lot of heat.

After I got home, I did some research and figured that a set of Baker Air Wings, including the lower wings would help or so the Baker Wing ad said. I installed the wings and that did help a little bit but the right side is still pretty hot.

I talked with my Mechanic at Metro Motorsports in Cedar Rapids, and he suggested a ISCI Fan Can. He's said he's had good luck with that item. The only problem is that ISCI hasn't updated the Fan Can to work with the 2013 RT's yet. I did call them and they said they should have something in late July or August. Well, it's now the end of August and I still have seen updates to the Fan Can on their web site yet. I should probably call them and see if there's any update.

So I tried another approach. I looked on-line for heat insulating socks or boots. I didn't find any socks I thought would work but I did find some boots. I bought a pair of All American Fire Fighter boots (~$200) and they have some pretty thick leather and they're supposedly what fire fighters wear when they're fighting forest fires. They're clunky but they seem to have helped solved the problem. This last week we had some pretty warm days and while my right foot got warm, it wasn't burning up. I'll know more this week as the weather is supposed to be hot.

So until ISCI get's the Fan Can updated for the 2013 RT's, I'm going to use what I have now. Of course, if BRP could fix the problem that would be even better. I'm not sure what they can do though, The heat's got to go somewhere.

Tony
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    2017 Red F3T

Mods
    Lamonster RIP Floorboards
    Lamonster H4 LED headlights
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights
    Lamonster LED White and Amber Fog Ring
    Lamonster Show Chrome Fender kit
    Lamonster Drink holder
    Lamonster Dual Power Plate with large X-Grip
    Lamonster F3 Driver Back Rest
    Lamonster Lid Lock
    Baker Air Wings Luggage Rack

Spyder Garage

Can we call you fire Marshall? Boots! What a concept :-)
    I like Spyderpops block off plates I bought last year and just last week added the small piece that glues to the plate! But he also drilled my cowling and I took the base pan off.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Default socks

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarPlayer View Post
    On my 2013 RT Ltd., I too thought that I didn't have a heat problem. That was until I went from Iowa to Maggie Valley last June. I think the right side was so hot I did get a first degree burn on my right foot. Once I got to Maggie Valley, I had Harvey from SpyderPops put on the upper right side heat shield. While this helped a little it didn't do much at all. The lower hole on the right side puts out a lot of heat.

After I got home, I did some research and figured that a set of Baker Air Wings, including the lower wings would help or so the Baker Wing ad said. I installed the wings and that did help a little bit but the right side is still pretty hot.

I talked with my Mechanic at Metro Motorsports in Cedar Rapids, and he suggested a ISCI Fan Can. He's said he's had good luck with that item. The only problem is that ISCI hasn't updated the Fan Can to work with the 2013 RT's yet. I did call them and they said they should have something in late July or August. Well, it's now the end of August and I still have seen updates to the Fan Can on their web site yet. I should probably call them and see if there's any update.

So I tried another approach. I looked on-line for heat insulating socks or boots. I didn't find any socks I thought would work but I did find some boots. I bought a pair of All American Fire Fighter boots (~$200) and they have some pretty thick leather and they're supposedly what fire fighters wear when they're fighting forest fires. They're clunky but they seem to have helped solved the problem. This last week we had some pretty warm days and while my right foot got warm, it wasn't burning up. I'll know more this week as the weather is supposed to be hot.

So until ISCI get's the Fan Can updated for the 2013 RT's, I'm going to use what I have now. Of course, if BRP could fix the problem that would be even better. I'm not sure what they can do though, The heat's got to go somewhere.

Tony

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-54300 pretty interesting
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarPlayer View Post

Tony

I'm looking at this solution with interest. I see two possibilities. One is the spyderpops block off plate with a baker wing (lower) installed to take care of the "lower hole".

The solution you are offering up in your post also makes sense to me. I'm going to wait and see if and what ISCI might come up with.

I would note that on my 2010 RT-S the spyderpops block off plate and removing the pans underneath did wonders. However, my 2010 had footpegs and not a floor board. If you take a look at where the placement of the footpeg is, you will find that your foot placement is much higher than where they rest with the 2013 floorobards. Consequently, the 2010 fix, i.e., spyderpops block off plate worked in that the lower hole heat went underneath your foot. However, that is not the case with the 2013 floorboards. Your foot is flat out next to the hole. Admittedly you can move your foot back and that does help. However, isn't that why we had floorboards was to stretch your leg out?

Again, I think your solution sounds logical as well as the spyderpops fix with a lower baker airwing.

(Now what do we Corbin seat riders do with the heat that comes out our gas tank door.)

Chris