Spyder Garage

Default Can my Elka's be used on a '13 RT?

Mostly dreaming, but the heavy discounts on '13's got me to wondering if I could swap the Elka's on my '11 to a '13 RT if I were to trade?

Would any of the other items listed below work on the '13?
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default elkas

NO i just installed them on my 13 rt/s and elka has a set just for that bike it is a elka 1+1 and pitbull has them for 695 and free shipping
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Do you need to . The 2013 RTs have the improved FOX Shocks ?
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The first question that need answering: Are the shocks for both model years the same length?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I had a set of Wilbur shocks on my 2011 RSS. They are 1" lower than the stock 2011 shocks. I measured my 2013 RSS and they were within 1/4" difference in length. I put them on the 2013 which was an improvement over the Fox shocks but I still prefer the 2011 with the Wilburs. I have tried it with just the front wilburs first then added the rear. each step was better but the steering takes so much more effort at speed than the earlier bike. I have over 40lbs in the front tires just to make it tolerable to ride. Save your $ keep the 2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    Good question. Its just that I can't imagine having a non-adjustable shock. I've liked the Elka's I have as they are so easy to fine tune for changing road conditions. Even the OEM's were fairly decent when cranked all the way up in conjunction with a Ronbar.

What say you, '13 owners, are you happy with the OEM's?

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

I thought only the RSS models had the Fox Shocks but I could be wrong........

Spyder Garage

Only rss have fox..... No to the 13 , the 10-12 will not fit on 13.rts or sts. But Len has the new ones for the sts and rts 2013 only and they really nice. Great feel to.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Good question. Its just that I can't imagine having a non-adjustable shock. I've liked the Elka's I have as they are so easy to fine tune for changing road conditions. Even the OEM's were fairly decent when cranked all the way up in conjunction with a Ronbar.

What say you, '13 owners, are you happy with the OEM's?

If you have a 2013 RT or ST and you are experiencing shock/spring weakness get it to a dealer. (NOT ALL) but (SOME) have bad shocks. They will most likely take some height measurements to see if the bike is sitting at proper height with and without a rider.

If you are not bottoming out on hard bumps and your front doesn't dive down in a turn then most likely you are not affected..

And like any aftermarket device,,, If you have the extra money to buy it and there are other people already enjoying the product ,, then I would say make the purchase and don't look back.

I have the first set of Elka's made to fit a 2013 RT and they are like night and day. I personally would highly recommend calling John at Elka and getting a set on the way. I have the Fox shocks on my 2013 ST and they are "acceptable" but nothing to "highly" recommend. Sometime in the future I will most likely order a set of Elka's for it.

I also would highly recommend Ron's sway bar. It will make a HUGE improvement in sway and it will keep the front up when diving into a turn. The bar actually works by keeping each side at the same level. It resist one side from greatly differing from the other. If you hit a dip in the road evenly you will be relying on the shocks and springs not the sway bar... If you dive hard into a turn it loads the bar and that is a good thing because it will keep up in a more level position and keep the nanny happy and you happy.....

Spyder Garage

Default shocks

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    i have to look at the shocks i took off my 13 rt because they looked pretty cheap and i don't remember seeing fox written on them anywhere
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default shock i took off my 13 rt

http://s572.photobucket.com/user/cuz...library/shocks non adjustable and doesn't say fox anywhere only says made in mexico
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Mostly dreaming, but the heavy discounts on '13's got me to wondering if I could swap the Elka's on my '11 to a '13 RT if I were to trade?

Would any of the other items listed below work on the '13?
    Contact ELka at 1-800-557-0552 and ask for the tech dept , let them know the situation. These folks can make those shocks work. Might have to do a little work but a lot less than new ones.
    [/URL]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERJEFF View Post
    Contact ELka at 1-800-557-0552 and ask for the tech dept , let them know the situation. These folks can make those shocks work. Might have to do a little work but a lot less than new ones.

Jeff, good info. Will hold on to the phone nr in case I do anything about trading. Right now, the more I read about the '13's the less inclined I am to want one. Perhaps the '14's will be more enticing.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Default Can my Elka's be used on a '13 RT?

Just put the shocks on my 13 and rts and they made a big and better ride. Thev13 need to be 19" in long to fit the 13 teens rts that is. Thanks Len and the shop for sending to me in aloha, Oregon. USA........the 13 do not have FOXs on them just crap stock ones....
    Last edited by Spacetrucker; 08-28-2013 at 07:31 PM.