Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Wear

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Toe-in explained a little better -Maybe

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spidergirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bonessix View Post
    I have an 09 GS that eats front tires. I have to replace them every 5000 miles. The dealer says everything is fine and that is normal. doesn't seem right to me. Any ideas from anyone? Thanks.
    dealer is full of hooey, I just had a laser alignment done, and huge difference. Highly recommend it. They all come from the dealership that way. My alignment was way off. Best 100 bucks I ever spent. 315-427-8522 NY northern rep. 386-427-8522 FL southern rep
    www.spydercomfort.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spidergirl View Post
    dealer is full of hooey, I just had a laser alignment done, and huge difference. Highly recommend it. They all come from the dealership that way. My alignment was way off. Best 100 bucks I ever spent. 315-427-8522 NY northern rep. 386-427-8522 FL southern rep
    www.spydercomfort.com
    3k on new tires and showing lots of wear on inside of both. Had them rotated to buy time, but won't fix the problem. I might get 5-6 K out of this set. Dealer again says it is fine, normal, and set right. I have raced cars, sold tires, and done front end alignments in the past, so I know they are wrong, but they have their minds set. Buying front tires every other oil change is nuts. Anyone in the western states that knows how to align it? Just venting. Thanks all.

Spyder Garage

3k on new tires and showing lots of wear on inside of both. Had them rotated to buy time, but won't fix the problem. I might get 5-6 K out of this set. Dealer again says it is fine, normal, and set right. I have raced cars, sold tires, and done front end alignments in the past, so I know they are wrong, but they have their minds set. Buying front tires every other oil change is nuts. Anyone in the western states that knows how to align it? Just venting. Thanks all.
    Find another dealer...yours is a dork!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Seriously you guys need to call BRP open a case and get the # and give the dealers name and answers they gave you to them and mention what you have been told here. Maybe they will (ask them to) contact the dealers and get them straight. We obviously have to be beta testers for the dealers now beside the bike.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

How does aggressive riding effect tire mileage on the ? I get 8-10 thousand miles out of a set of tires on my wing. There are many that get over twice as many miles on the same setup. Would the same 2 to1 ratio apply, or because of the 3 wheels and traction control etc., is the tire wear more consistent between aggressive and easy mileage?

Spyder Garage

Default Agressive Riding

Quote Originally Posted by bug's zedi View Post
    How does aggressive riding effect tire mileage on the ? I get 8-10 thousand miles out of a set of tires on my wing. There are many that get over twice as many miles on the same setup. Would the same 2 to1 ratio apply, or because of the 3 wheels and traction control etc., is the tire wear more consistent between aggressive and easy mileage?

Where ever there is an action there is a REaction. Going into corners at the posted speed and easing around it will not wear your tires very much.
    If you rocket into a corner and come out at full throttle, sure your going to reduce the thread life considerably because your scrubbing off the tires going sideways.

Alignment makes a difference no matter how or where you ride. If the alignment is not correct you will have premature wear on your tires not to mention poor handling all the time. Perfect on the mark alignment is by far better both in handling and in tire wear.

Obviously the hard you break or accelerate the quicker you will burn off the tires
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Spyder Garage

I live in Northern CA. and would gladly ride to OR. or WA. if you know someone up there that can align this correctly. In fact, I will go anywhere under 3-4 K. ( That's as far as I can go without tire service). LOL. Not really funny, but I don't like to cry. I am 66, ride to have fun, but don't abuse it in the corners etc. The spider fits me well with a one inch riser. I can ride 500-600 miles a day just stopping for fuel and a few pit stops, and feel good at the end of the day. I want to do some long rides(5-10K) but need to get this issue resolved first.Thanks all. Be safe.

Spyder Garage

I live in Northern CA. and would gladly ride to OR. or WA. if you know someone up there that can align this correctly. In fact, I will go anywhere under 3-4 K. ( That's as far as I can go without tire service). LOL. Not really funny, but I don't like to cry. I am 66, ride to have fun, but don't abuse it in the corners etc. The spider fits me well with a one inch riser. I can ride 500-600 miles a day just stopping for fuel and a few pit stops, and feel good at the end of the day. I want to do some long rides(5-10K) but need to get this issue resolved first.Thanks all. Be safe.
    Here:

http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealers.htm

There is one listed for Salem, OR.

Spyder Garage

Just rode the 300 miles last Thurs. and had my front end lazer aligned. It will take some miles to see if the tire wear problem is solved. What I did notice, is that it no longer wanders, jumps from side to side,or lurches all over the lane. It is also much tighter in the corners. Bottom line, it handles better, but time will tell if my wear problems are solved. I am expecting good things.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just rode the 300 miles last Thurs. and had my front end lazer aligned. It will take some miles to see if the tire wear problem is solved. What I did notice, is that it no longer wanders, jumps from side to side,or lurches all over the lane. It is also much tighter in the corners. Bottom line, it handles better, but time will tell if my wear problems are solved. I am expecting good things.
    I think you will be amazed.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I have an 09 GS that eats front tires. I have to replace them every 5000 miles. The dealer says everything is fine and that is normal. doesn't seem right to me. Any ideas from anyone? Thanks.
    Well.......................if you're buying; the dealer is selling! LOL! Time to find a different dealer, I think.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Dan in Salem did a great job on the lazer alignment. What a big improvement in the ride down the highway. If you live in Oregon or Northern California, check it out. It is a pretty ride this time of year too.
    Last edited by bonessix; 10-16-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 24,000

I have 24,000 miles on my front tires and they still look pretty good

Spyder Garage

Called two dealers today, both well over 200 miles away. One said he had the equipment to align the front end. However, they both told me not to bother, that 5000 miles on front tires was not out of the norm. One said I just need to rotate them ever 2000 miles. It would be cheaper to just buy new ones. Oh well, it rides good and is fun.
    This just doesn't sound right. Are you sure you have a Spyder?
    OK. I just read you other post about getting it aligned. It will be fine now. The dealers who told you that crap should have their franchise pulled.
    Last edited by StanProff; 10-16-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Dan Maisel is a traveling Laser Alignment Technician

Salem , OR . 971-301-3329 ( ask for Dan )

E mail him : nwlaserlines@yahoo.com

Spyder Garage

I went to the dealer today to see how much it would cost to re-set the DPS because I had it lazer aligned. $ 85.00. I don't have any codes or anything, so I think I will just ride it the way it is until I need tires again. I will ride it through the winter and put new rubber on to start next season. I can't tell about tire wear yet, but I am hoping that issue is solved. For now, I am just getting used to how "tight" it is in the corners. I put on Ron's sway bar, and that helped, but is still tight. It is better than jumping all over the road. For now, I am riding it as much as I can to finish off the front tires and start over. I will be ready for my 3rd set of front tires at 10K. If the wear problem is solved, I plan on putting on about 10K next season. I have high hopes. Thanks all. Be safe.

Spyder Garage

Find someone near you who is doing the laser alignments.. Once done, you should not have this problem.. There are many threads on the forum discussing laser alignments

2012 RT Limited
    SpiderWrap Graphics
    KewlMetal DualKewl FenderZ Running Lights
    TricLED Dual Running & Brake Lights
    Seal Floorboards
    Bajaron Anti-Sway Bar
    Utopia Backrest
    Diamond R Luggage Rack
    SpyderPops Upper Blockoff
    SpyderPops Catalytic Converter Shield

Spyder Garage

Default Agree with Scotty

Yep got the same "line" from dealer on my 2010 RT.....but amazing...new shocks and len relocators and running tires OEM's now at 14k and still lots of EVEN tread....Find someone doing the Rolo Laser and get it done...have to admit when I was dealing with that I went from to everytime I either looked at my tires with 8k and worn out on inside edge or heard the "line" from the dealer/tech....Still makes my blood perk....
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

I went to the dealer today to see how much it would cost to re-set the DPS because I had it lazer aligned. $ 85.00. I don't have any codes or anything, so I think I will just ride it the way it is until I need tires again. I will ride it through the winter and put new rubber on to start next season. I can't tell about tire wear yet, but I am hoping that issue is solved. For now, I am just getting used to how "tight" it is in the corners. I put on Ron's sway bar, and that helped, but is still tight. It is better than jumping all over the road. For now, I am riding it as much as I can to finish off the front tires and start over. I will be ready for my 3rd set of front tires at 10K. If the wear problem is solved, I plan on putting on about 10K next season. I have high hopes. Thanks all. Be safe.
    I too would suggest switching to the Potenza if only for the reason they can be rotated regularly.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default hey good info

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Dealer is full of hooey! I'm assuming you have uneven wear of some sort. Uneven wear to the inside of both fronts is caused by inadequate toe-in. A proper alignment and proper front suspension preload settings should counteract it. If you are very heavy, aftermarket shocks may also be needed. Uneven wear of one side is generally due to suspension component wear or damage. A-frame bushings, shock bushings, ball joints, or tie-rods could be involved. There are other types of uneven wear, but they are usually not common in Spyders. Find a shop that has done and understands suspension inspections and alignment. Ideally, a laser alignment would be best, but those shops are pretty scarce. Best of luck in your quest.
    My 09 rts is wearing the front tires on the inside i wondered about the preload on the shocks i am 200 lbs run at #3 on the shocks and 15 lbs psi just want to catch it before they get worse but i know from auto industry that once tires have a wear pattern they stay with it . check out my trailer on the harbor freight trailer search thanks Mygyver

Spyder Garage

Default Next Chapter

At 10950 miles I just put on my 3rd set of tires. After having it lazer aligned, I wanted to go ahead and run my old tires down to nothing. After the alignment, it has been tight in the corners. I had them re-set the DPS with the new tires, and the tightness is gone. Runs smooth through the corners again. I will monitor the tire wear now and hope the problem is solved. I am going on a 3000-5000 mile trip next month so that should tell the tale. I will post future results.

Spyder Garage

Default Tires are great

I just rode 3600 miles with my new from tires. I checked tread depth before I left, and again after i returned. There is very little wear, with there being slightly more wear on the insides. ( not enough to see with the naked eye).The laser alignment no doubt fixed my problem. Before the alignment, my tires would show dramatic wear with this many miles. To say I am happy would be an under-statement.

Spyder Garage

You will get over 31 k miles I have done it maybe 6 k miles to go before tires change , had it laser aligned here in FL at spydercomfort the nicest people you can ever meet
    Last edited by jtoro1; 09-13-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

You will get over 31 k miles I have done it maybe 6 k miles to go before tires change , had it laser aligned here in FL at spydercomfort the nicest people you can ever meet