Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Wear

Spyder Garage

Default Tire Wear

I have an 09 GS that eats front tires. I have to replace them every 5000 miles. The dealer says everything is fine and that is normal. doesn't seem right to me. Any ideas from anyone? Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Dealer is full of hooey! I'm assuming you have uneven wear of some sort. Uneven wear to the inside of both fronts is caused by inadequate toe-in. A proper alignment and proper front suspension preload settings should counteract it. If you are very heavy, aftermarket shocks may also be needed. Uneven wear of one side is generally due to suspension component wear or damage. A-frame bushings, shock bushings, ball joints, or tie-rods could be involved. There are other types of uneven wear, but they are usually not common in Spyders. Find a shop that has done and understands suspension inspections and alignment. Ideally, a laser alignment would be best, but those shops are pretty scarce. Best of luck in your quest.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I weigh 165. Shocks are set on second notch. The tires wear on the inside. I replaced at 5 K and am going to need another set at 10K. Any idea what the toe in/out is supposed to be? Rides great, but doesn;t seem right to me.

Spyder Garage

Like Scotty said: You most likely have other issues than bad tires. I got 23,000 miles out of my last set of fronts.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-24-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Find another dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bonessix View Post
    I have an 09 GS that eats front tires. I have to replace them every 5000 miles. The dealer says everything is fine and that is normal. doesn't seem right to me. Any ideas from anyone? Thanks.
    Tire pressure ????

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I weigh 165. Shocks are set on second notch. The tires wear on the inside. I replaced at 5 K and am going to need another set at 10K. Any idea what the toe in/out is supposed to be? Rides great, but doesn;t seem right to me.
    Crank the preload up a couple of notches, have the front end inspected, and find someone who can do an alignment for you. Bring the toe-in up to the later 2011/2012 specs...not the 2009 specs. Try running about 20 psi in the tires if you are not already. You still haven't said what kind of tire wear problems you are having. Hard to diagnose when you just say "They have to be replaced."
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Shock relocators....

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk 4
    2008 GS , Brisk Spark Plug - BOR10LGS Blk/yelllow

Spyder Garage

Why tell the customer the truth when miss-information works nearly every time! I got almost 30k out of my front tires. Bad A-Arm bushings killed them.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 23000

I have 23,000 miles on my front tires and the dealer says they are still good.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Crank the preload up a couple of notches, have the front end inspected, and find someone who can do an alignment for you. Bring the toe-in up to the later 2011/2012 specs...not the 2009 specs. Try running about 20 psi in the tires if you are not already. You still haven't said what kind of tire wear problems you are having. Hard to diagnose when you just say "They have to be replaced."
    They wear on the inside. I am running 18 lbs of pressure. I weigh 165, and shocks were set on middle notch. Book says lighter for my weight so I moved to second notch when I put these tires on at 5K. They are wearing the same as the first set. The dealer checked the front end and says all is fine. I can check toe in myself, but I can't find what it is supposed to be. I think it is a front end issue, but what? I still have just under 10K miles and almost ready for my second set of front tires. Other than that,I love it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Something's just not quite right up under the front end of your bike...
    Follow what Scotty said; he's the guru in here...
    ... And Wylie's right; find another dealer; this one lies!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

They wear on the inside. I am running 18 lbs of pressure. I weigh 165, and shocks were set on middle notch. Book says lighter for my weight so I moved to second notch when I put these tires on at 5K. They are wearing the same as the first set. The dealer checked the front end and says all is fine. I can check toe in myself, but I can't find what it is supposed to be. I think it is a front end issue, but what? I still have just under 10K miles and almost ready for my second set of front tires. Other than that,I love it.
    Your toe-in is inadequate. ...,and your dealer is a flake! The procedure for toe-in on a Spyder is not what you maybe familiar with. Best to go by the shop manual procedure. You cannot really do the job correctly by yourself because the steering sensors have to be rezeroed on BUDS following alignment. Also, there is a special tool required to center the steering. If you do decide to adjust by guess and by gosh (not recommended) at least have your dealer rezero the sensors. I'd check the A-frame bushings for play before adjustment. If they have not been properly lubed they are almost certainly worn out. Don't take the word of a dealer who says "They all do it," that everything else up there is fine. You can get 30k-40k out of front tires on a properly aligned Spyder with sound suspension.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 08-27-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I got 33,000 miles out of the first set of front tires. At bout 5 ,000 miles I notice wear on the inside right tire. Had my dealer aligned the front end put another 28,000 on them before I changed them.

Spyder Garage

Default It sounds like alignment...

Bonessix....i feel your pain thats why I invented adapters to laser align my wife's Spyder. The biggest problem is the rear wheel is NOT aligned with the front wheels, it is all about contact patch that is all that Spyder feels, how the tires hit the road surface and your scrubbing those tires every mile you ride.The dealer can check all they want unless they have this laser system they CANNOT find the problem...and there is a problem.

check out our website I know we can help you...www.spydercomfort.com

Spyder Garage

Your toe-in is inadequate. ...,and your dealer is a flake! The procedure for toe-in on a Spyder is not what you maybe familiar with. Best to go by the shop manual procedure. You cannot really do the job correctly by yourself because the steering sensors have to be rezeroed on BUDS following alignmenet. Also, there is a special tool required to center the steering. If you do decide to adjust by guess and by gosh (not recommended) at least have your dealer rezero the sensors. I'd check the A-frame bushings for play before adjustment. If they have not been properly lubed they are almost certainly worn out. Don't take the word of a dealer who says "They all do it," that everything else up there is fine. You can get 30k-40k out of front tires on a properly aligned Spyder with sound suspension.

Thanks for your help. The next closest dealer is 200 miles, but I think it is worth a try. and a ride. It is clear that the local dealer is all wet. Glad you told me about the sensors. I was going to take it to a laser alignment frame shop, but that would only solve half the problem. I will need to try to find a dealer that knows how to align it. Thanks again. The only good advice my dealer has given me is this web site.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At least he got something right!

Spyder Garage

Called two dealers today, both well over 200 miles away. One said he had the equipment to align the front end. However, they both told me not to bother, that 5000 miles on front tires was not out of the norm. One said I just need to rotate them ever 2000 miles. It would be cheaper to just buy new ones. Oh well, it rides good and is fun.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That's not normal I have 26k on my original front tires and they are just starting to show wear. Of course I replaced the rear tire at 18k due to the occasional spin out.

Spyder Garage

Called two dealers today, both well over 200 miles away. One said he had the equipment to align the front end. However, they both told me not to bother, that 5000 miles on front tires was not out of the norm. One said I just need to rotate them ever 2000 miles. It would be cheaper to just buy new ones. Oh well, it rides good and is fun.
    Those dealers are wrong...although they are passing on BRP's standard advice. I am not saying that the problem is not common on Spyders, but that does not make it "normal" or right. It does not have to be that way! My tires have 25K on them right now and are barely over half worn to the wear indicators. They are worn evenly. Nancy has 7K on her GS and the tires are even and have over 3/4 of the tread left. An alignment to the latter spec for the 2008-2012 Spyders would do you good. Rotation is futile...it merely swaps the improper wear to the other side of each tire, and buys you some time before replacement. Many times the Spyder tires won't balance well after the rotation, and then they wobble and vibrate. In addition, rotation requires dismounting and remounting the tires, then rebalancing them, so you will spend at least half as much as the alignment would cost. You can't save the tires you already have, but it would pay for you to have the Spyder realigned to the tight side of the proper spec, then install new tires.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Those dealers are wrong...although they are passing on BRP's standard advice. I am not saying that the problem is not common on Spyders, but that does not make it "normal" or right. It does not have to be that way! My tires have 25K on them right now and are barely over half worn to the wear indicators. They are worn evenly. Nancy has 7K on her GS and the tires are even and have over 3/4 of the tread left. An alignment to the latter spec for the 2008-2012 Spyders would do you good. Rotation is futile...it merely swaps the improper wear to the other side of each tire, and buys you some time before replacement. Many times the Spyder tires won't balance well after the rotation, and then they wobble and vibrate. In addition, rotation requires dismounting and remounting the tires, then rebalancing them, so you will spend at least half as much as the alignment would cost. You can't save the tires you already have, but it would pay for you to have the Spyder realigned to the tight side of the proper spec, then install new tires.
    Thanks again. I think I will just run these into the ground, then go to a different dealer, get the alignment and new tires. I agree that rotation is a waste of time and money, and could create other problems. At least the tires aren't very spendy. That helps. It's hard to put a price tag on good fun.

Spyder Garage

Thanks again. I think I will just run these into the ground, then go to a different dealer, get the alignment and new tires. I agree that rotation is a waste of time and money, and could create other problems. At least the tires aren't very spendy. That helps. It's hard to put a price tag on good fun.
    Good attitude! You are right about the tires...at least compared to sport touring motorcycle tires they have longer life and are as cheap or cheaper. Good reports about the Bridgestone Potenza automotive tires, too, as a slightly cheaper and smooter alternative. Keep them in mind when tire time comes around.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

. It's hard to put a price tag on good fun.

But it's easy to put a price tag on good friends: Priceless!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FLAlaserman View Post
    Bonessix....i feel your pain thats why I invented adapters to laser align my wife's Spyder. The biggest problem is the rear wheel is NOT aligned with the front wheels, it is all about contact patch that is all that Spyder feels, how the tires hit the road surface and your scrubbing those tires every mile you ride.The dealer can check all they want unless they have this laser system they CANNOT find the problem...and there is a problem.

check out our website I know we can help you...www.spydercomfort.com
    I would love to try it but your dealers are so far away I would have to stop and buy tires to get there. I am convinced it is toe in,out. Both new tires are wearing on inside. They are half gone at 3K.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RS S I got 18,000 on the rear and 25,000 from the front. I ride hard and had I watched the tire pressure on the front I may have gotten 30,000 there must be something wrong with the Spyder and the Dealer Hope you can get it figured out good luck. jt
    Last edited by jtpollock; 09-17-2013 at 01:43 PM.