Spyder Garage

Default First case of boiling gas, first HEAT trip!

Wow today was hot here is Socal. Not that hot compared to what some of you deal with in Texas and the south with 90% humidity.
    But today I got stuck in bad freeway traffic surrounded by hot trucks and cars with NO WIND to speak of.
    The temp gauge on the cluster read 116. I know that is not the truth and real ambient temp but that is the hottest I have ever seen the cluster read since I owned this RT since June 2013.

Anyway first problem I had was at a light, I could NOT get it into neutral. That was one time only. I should have tried to roll it a little and try again but the light turned green. I will keep an eye on this issue as maybe the clutch fluid and cylinders new work (I have an SM5). I hope not with only 1800 miles on it (but it is a 2011 so age and break fluid matters!)

But when I got home I did not smell gas at all but a bad exhaust stink. It went away pretty quick though. I am hoping I don't have a exhaust leak I will keep an eye on that too.

BUT when I got my helmet off in the quite of the garage I could hear bubbling! I thought... WOA! Do I have boiling gas?
    Sure enough removing the cap the tank was under pretty good pressure and with the cap off I could see the gas bubbling. But I did NOT get noxious gas fumes or smell really. Not any more than you would taking off the gas cap normally! I think I should have just left the cap on as once I released the pressure it seemed to bubble more.

I did not PANIC! After reading about all this gas boiling and paying attention to what Scotty said, I just let it calm down a bit and put the cap back on. I could still hear it bubbling and checked under the bike for any fuel drips. NONE! I removed the cap again and got the phsssss and it was still bubbling but much less... Put the cap back on and said the hell with it. Nothing to worry about based on my research on this issue (not just the spyder too). Went back out the garage about 1 hour later. NO GAS SMELL, NO DRIPS, all was good!

So I guess my purge valve and evap canister is doing it's job!

I will also say however that I am not sure the Spyder liked this heat trip. I could hear the engine and could tell the oil was thinned out due to temps. It just sounded "looser" if you know what I mean? I also got the dragons breath on BOTH FEET while sitting stopped on the black top freeway. When that fan came on WOW.... However, it did not melt my tennis shoes or anything like that. It was just hot and I dealt with it. It was really not all that bad. My head was hotter to be honest and I just wanted some air! If we could have just got moving a little all would have been fine with me and I am sure Darth (my Spyders name) would have liked that better too!

Anyway... just my first experience with this and I have to say it really was uneventful because it was not a shock to me as I learned much here on SL what to expect! Sometimes if you don't know what to expect is when you get a surprise and a worry.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 08-22-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

You might want to park outside for a little while after riding when you are worried about heat issues, so you don't end up with a fire in your garage.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Spyder Garage

Default here is my last reading of the ambient temp.

here is my last reading of the ambient temp. it says 123
    but no hot gases yet
    Rick11Flor practicing for retirement. Everyday is a new day and I try to live it to the max.
    We (DW and I) travel to distant lands three or more months per year now looking for a Outlaw to take the Spyder along.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found that 122 is the trigger temperature for Limp Mode and the heat codes P0127 and P0217. Finless, when you have trouble getting it into neutral try letting the clutch out a little and then try going for neutral again. I had that happen quite often actually on both of my Spyders. When the temp is really hot it makes it more frustrating when you can't get it into neutral.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Didn't know this...

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I found that 122 is the trigger temperature for Limp Mode and the heat codes P0127 and P0217.
    Wow...didn't know what the "magic number" was for going into Limp Mode was. I have hit Limp Mode due to heat a few times on really hot days here in Folsom Ca, but took the advice of the BRP rep and turned the machine on to cycle the coolant...limp mode clears after 20-30 secs once the coolant starts to circulate and the temps dissipate. BRP rep referred to this as "Heat Soak" as those who've experienced it already know. Gonna try Water Wetter this weekend as the Summer has been unseasonably hot and my temp gauge will hit 122 when in traffic on the way home...stop to get my son @ school (10 minutes), start up the bike...and Red Screen of Death!!!
    turn the bike on, cycle the coolant for 20-30 secs and voila...Red Screen of Death gone

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    Wow...didn't know what the "magic number" was for going into Limp Mode was. I have hit Limp Mode due to heat a few times on really hot days here in Folsom Ca, but took the advice of the BRP rep and turned the machine on to cycle the coolant...limp mode clears after 20-30 secs once the coolant starts to circulate and the temps dissipate. BRP rep referred to this as "Heat Soak" as those who've experienced it already know. Gonna try Water Wetter this weekend as the Summer has been unseasonably hot and my temp gauge will hit 122 when in traffic on the way home...stop to get my son @ school (10 minutes), start up the bike...and Red Screen of Death!!!
    turn the bike on, cycle the coolant for 20-30 secs and voila...Red Screen of Death gone
    Watter Wetter won't help the air intake temperature. It only affects engine temps and is also of no value in addressing heat soak related (engine off or vehicle not moving) issues. It may help the radiator efficiency and efficiency of heat transfer from the engine to the cooling system.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DocRags View Post
    You might want to park outside for a little while after riding when you are worried about heat issues, so you don't end up with a fire in your garage.
    Funny, I havent had any issues. But do tend to park outside for a while...just in case
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium