Spyder Garage

Default Another spyder won't start

I knew this spyder was too good to be true. was gonna go out for a ryde tonight and it won't start!! everything lights up on the dash but when i hit the start button it does nothing-no click or anything! the oil light does stay on now for some reason. it only has 23 miles, why would it need oil already?!! So I checked that and it's about half way to the fill line. that should be ok then right?! Not sure that this could be a problem but after I turn it off there is a high pitch noise that starts...and doesn't stop, well not that i've noticed, i wasn't gonna stay out there to see how long it lasted (i was out there for about 20 min trying to figure out why it won't stop and finally gave up). Also on the dash it says ORMP...does that mean anything or is that normal?
    Thanks for helping. maybe this is a sign that i should stick with 4 wheels

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Silly Question

But you turned on the key, you waited for the screen to come up, and then you hit the mode button, and then you hit START. RIGHT?
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmmmm?

Double check the Engine kill switch first. If the SPYDER is in 1st gear, try applying the brake while starting. As for the high pitch sound, that is (for lack of a better term) just the computer powering down. It goes silent in about 30-45 minutes...give or take. All of this can be found in the manual. I know...it took me two months before I finally read the darn thing. Lots of useful stuff in there. Try those things and see if that works. Just to give you a heads up, when you have a question that you want the community to assist you on, make sure you give some basic info, such as make, model, and year of your bike. It helps a lot. Good luck and be sure to check back often. There are plenty "wizards" on this site.
    "Ride Safe, Ride Long, and Ride Often...Be Free on Three"
    ValCruzSpyder
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Guesswho View Post
    I knew this spyder was too good to be true. was gonna go out for a ryde tonight and it won't start!! everything lights up on the dash but when i hit the start button it does nothing-no click or anything! the oil light does stay on now for some reason. it only has 23 miles, why would it need oil already?!! So I checked that and it's about half way to the fill line. that should be ok then right?! Not sure that this could be a problem but after I turn it off there is a high pitch noise that starts...and doesn't stop, well not that i've noticed, i wasn't gonna stay out there to see how long it lasted (i was out there for about 20 min trying to figure out why it won't stop and finally gave up). Also on the dash it says ORMP...does that mean anything or is that normal?
    It does not need oil. When the engine is not running there is no oil pressure and that is why the oil pressure light is on. This is exactly the same as your car. When you turn off the key the throttles are held closed for 40 minutes that is high pitch sound. This is normal. I don't know what ORMP is, maybe some else knows. Now you did not tell us what kind of Spyder you have so I will have to guess. If you have an SE5 it's in gear and you have to hold down the brake pedal to start. If it's a SM5 and it's in gear you have to hold in the clutch.

I hope that helps.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe that he has an RS that he bought from someone who won it in a raffle.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks everyone, got it figured out!

So things I learned on my first ryde: push down on the break to start it , where the oil is, how to take off the panel, how to check the oil and how to put the panel back on, and that the blinker switch is way too close to the horn! sorry to about the 10 ppl i honked at! other than that it was awesome!!!!

Spyder Garage

So things I learned on my first ryde: push down on the break to start it , where the oil is, how to take off the panel, how to check the oil and how to put the panel back on, and that the blinker switch is way too close to the horn! sorry to about the 10 ppl i honked at! other than that it was awesome!!!!
    We are happy to help.

Two things I would suggest you do. Give the manual a read over and add details about your Spyder in your signature line.

Happy Spydering!!!!!

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ValCruzSpyder View Post
    Double check the Engine kill switch first. If the SPYDER is in 1st gear, try applying the brake while starting. As for the high pitch sound, that is (for lack of a better term) just the computer powering down. It goes silent in about 30-45 minutes...give or take. All of this can be found in the manual. I know...it took me two months before I finally read the darn thing. Lots of useful stuff in there. Try those things and see if that works. Just to give you a heads up, when you have a question that you want the community to assist you on, make sure you give some basic info, such as make, model, and year of your bike. It helps a lot. Good luck and be sure to check back often. There are plenty "wizards" on this site.
    I agree about the manual, it was a lot of help with questions I had when I first started ryding my spyder. This site is also GREAT. A lot of really smart and good people.
    2013 RT-S se5, C/D HMT third tail light( r/b/t), Ram Cup holder, TRICLED front fender LED's (r/t), C/D Bright sides (r/t), Bajaron sway bar and metal heim links, TRICLED mirror turn signal LED's, ISCI tall dual flag holder, BackOff LED license plate frame, "Rufus" (stuffed 20" Bulldog) real one wants nothing to do with bike. Honel tri bag for dash, recordingguy25's (SL handle) custom mud flap ( didn't want plain old square cut mud flap. Spyderpops critter gitter. Gremlin Bell

Spyder Garage

The high pitch sound you hear when you turn the Spyder off will last for 40 minutes. If I remember correctly it was the BRP software solution for insuring that the throttle body plates would remain closed so no fuel would find its way into the cylinders. This was to cure some obscure problem with previous throttle bodies.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a weak battery or bad battery connection. Don't give up on it so fast. We'll help you through it. Check the kill switch first.

And don't check the oil cold. You have to go by the manual.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

From a post on the CanAm Spyder Owners facebook page that starts with the exacts same post this thread started with: "Thanks for telling me about the break pedal...that was the culprit! U guys rock!!! Off I go!!!" It was an SE5 transmission that was in 1st gear when it was shut off.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

This is a poster child "the sky is falling" post
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    This is a poster child "the sky is falling" post
    I think a lot of nimrods are getting Trikes and all of a sudden they forget to read the manual or the things they should know from driving cars....[no new rope please]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I fear that you are correct...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

At least it was a Spyder/horn button issue. Just imagine if you'd bought an AH64 Apache, and it was one of the weapons system buttons...........................

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    At least it was a Spyder/horn button issue. Just imagine if you'd bought an AH64 Apache, and it was one of the weapons system buttons...........................

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I think a lot of nimrods are getting Trikes and all of a sudden they forget to read the manual or the things they should know from driving cars....[no new rope please]
    "Manuals? We ain't got no manuals. We don't need no manuals! I don't have to show you any stinkin' manuals!" from the never made movie, "Spyders of Sierra Madre."

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You did good but you missed a couple of newbie rider things. You forgot to push the horn button while wanting to change gears. Also you did not ask if you were missing the right hand air exhaust grill that BRP does not install.

Do a search for "new rider information it is on the forum by Illinois Bob." It has a ton of good things new riders and old timers too.

Spyder Garage

It sounds like you got the problem solved. Add a little information to your posts though, you may find an answer to any problem a bit quicker.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

0 rpm?
    2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, Web Boards in Black Line-X Closed pattern, Bajaron sway bar and links, Spyderpop's Bump Skid, GloRyder remote controlled lights, show chrome rear rack, cargo nets in the all three rear bags, more to come........

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

MANUAL? I don't need to read any stinking manual !!

Welcome -- we are a fun group. Enjoy your new ride !!

P.S. I downloaded the manual from BRP's website and put it on my IPAD. Probably took a month, but I finally got through it. I hope the movie is better then the book !!