Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Cool Spyder up and running

Thanks a lot for all the valuable inputs. Bought a new OEM battery, YUASA ($139 + tax), installed it without any issues. Also applied dielectric silicone grease on the battery terminals.

Enjoy the video.

2016 F3T SM6 , Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Ironically my RS won't start today either.

Mine started in the garage ok. I backed it out and after turning it around, it then wouldn't start. I tried repeatedly over a period of hours and always got the same result. I took a you tube video of it tonight and the link is belowWould appreciate it if any or everyone would view it and let me know if you think I also have a battery problem. Battery is 3 1/4 years old.
    Thanks
    Dave

Spyder Garage

A low battery can do a lot of crazy crap. Period.

If you own a power sports item ....motorcycle, jet ski, snowmobile, etc etc you should at minimum own a multimeter to be able to read specific voltage.

If you read voltage and it is, lets say below 12.1* volts, then when you hit the starter ....it is probably hitting below 12 volts and freaking out everything.

I would check where your volts are and at least put a battery tender on it to up the charge.

Spyder Garage

In my experience over the years... A strong factory car battery can last 6-7 years. I've even seen 8 at one time.

A powersports vehicle is much lower, I've seen 4 years, but that IMO is not the norm.

I think the norm is maybe 2-3 year. If you get 4, you're doing very well.

Maybe some have been more fortunate?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    A low battery can do a lot of crazy crap. Period.

If you own a power sports item ....motorcycle, jet ski, snowmobile, etc etc you should at minimum own a multimeter to be able to read specific voltage.

If you read voltage and it is, lets say below 12.1* volts, then when you hit the starter ....it is probably hitting below 12 volts and freaking out everything.

I would check where your volts are and at least put a battery tender on it to up the charge.
    The Spyder battery needs to be above 12.6 for good results.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by djames4 View Post
    Mine started in the garage ok. I backed it out and after turning it around, it then wouldn't start. I tried repeatedly over a period of hours and always got the same result. I took a you tube video of it tonight and the link is belowWould appreciate it if any or everyone would view it and let me know if you think I also have a battery problem. Battery is 3 1/4 years old.
    Thanks
    Dave
    ]
    Sure look like it to me. Motorcycle batteries usually don't last much longer than that especially if you don't use a trickle charger when it sits for periods of time. The report of a 7 yr life battery is not the norm. Put a VOM on the jumper points and measure like Scotty said. If possible watch what happens when you try to start it.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The Spyder battery needs to be above 12.6 for good results.

While messing with my brand new (zero miles) Spyder today, I found that my battery was at 11.96 volts . I put a tender on it as I was working on it, but at the end when I checked it it was still only at about 12.50 volts after hours on the tender. I wonder what seems to be draining these things?

Spyder Garage

While messing with my brand new (zero miles) Spyder today, I found that my battery was at 11.96 volts . I put a tender on it as I was working on it, but at the end when I checked it it was still only at about 12.50 volts after hours on the tender. I wonder what seems to be draining these things?
    If they sit there is parasitic drain from the computer systems.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

It doesn't take long to run down a Spyder with the key on while working, despite the big battery. The big battey also takes a long time to recharge fully using a maintainer. A Battery Tender Jr. at 0.75 amps will take overnight or better. Improper battery preparation can damage a battery so it will never take a full charge.

Battery/Charging System Tests...
    Charge fully and check voltage...a top notch battery will read 13 or more volts when removed from the charger.
    Let the battery sit off the charger overnight off the charger. It should read 12.7 V or higher in the morning.
    Open the throttle wide open to prevent starting and measure the voltage while cranking the engine. The voltage should remain above 10.0 volts.
    Run the engine at 4000 rpm to check the charging system. The charging voltage should read 13-14 volts.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    It doesn't take long to run down a Spyder with the key on while working, despite the big battery. The big battey also takes a long time to recharge fully using a maintainer. A Battery Tender Jr. at 0.75 amps will take overnight or better. Improper battery preparation can damage a battery so it will never take a full charge.

Battery/Charging System Tests...
    Charge fully and check voltage...a top notch battery will read 13 or more volts when removed from the charger.
    Let the battery sit off the charger overnight off the charger. It should read 12.7 V or higher in the morning.
    Open the throttle wide open to prevent starting and measure the voltage while cranking the engine. The voltage should remain above 10.0 volts.
    Run the engine at 4000 rpm to check the charging system. The charging voltage should read 13-14 volts.
    And be sure to use an AGM specific charging cycle (NOT Gel or Standard). If you don't you will greatly shorten the life of your Spyder battery.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...