Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Oil

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Engine Oil

Just wondering if you can use a different oil than the one whey say you have to use. I live 70 miles from the nearest Can Am Dealer and some times its a pain. Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

You can use any brand if it has the same recommended specs from your owners manual.

Spyder Garage

You'll get all kinds of advice on what oil to use. If u want to use BRP oil there's a few guys selling it at a reasonable price with free shipping on Ebay.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie1 View Post
    Just wondering if you can use a different oil than the one whey say you have to use. I live 70 miles from the nearest Can Am Dealer and some times its a pain. Thanks in advance.
    I use Amsoil 10-40W synthetic motorcycle oil. It's available from BajaRon. Check out his information on the home page. Here some information on Amsoil http://www.bestcovery.com/best-motor...FcZe7AodrynM_w

Mike

Spyder Garage

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Slippery subject..!!

There are a good number of oils out there that will work with your roadster. Some auto parts stores have XPS oils but the best deals are on line. I order the kits with 5-qt's oil filters o-rings and washers. As soon as I change oil I order again and always have enough spare oil to top off between changes. You just have to see what oils your local auto supply or bike shop near to you have...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

10w-40 motorcycle full synthetic.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Default what oil to use

Mikein GA
    How about supporting the People that Sponsor this site. It costs us a lot of money and we are what makes this site possible.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Dog6 View Post
    Mikein GA
    How about supporting the People that Sponsor this site. It costs us a lot of money and we are what makes this site possible.
    BADDOG6

BAJARON is a SPONSOR OF THIS SITE for a long time. I'm a PC with Amszoil for years.

Mike aka MikeinGA

Spyder Garage

That wasn't called for mr. Bad dog, no need to talk down to someone like that. We all appreciate what the sponsors do for the site. It does not mean we have to buy from you or we "owe" you because you are a sponsor. Keep in mind the members of the forum are also an important piece of the puzzle and deserve to be treated as such.

Spyder Garage

Default Response.

I was not referring to Baja Ron. The link in the post takes you to other dealers site's which I thought was inappropriate. Sorry if you took offence to that . My apologies .

Spyder Garage

Default Response.

I was not referring to Baja Ron. The link in the post takes you to other dealers site's which I thought was inappropriate. Sorry if you took offence to that . My apologies . I am sure there was no ill intent in Mike's post. Sorry for the tone of my reply.

Spyder Garage

Default 20/50 amsoil .

i am using 20/50 amsoil motorcycle oil in my bike right now because when i changed it last my supplier was outof 10/40 amsoil (and mobil 1 10/40 motorcycle oil) it only has about 400KM since it was changed but i got some 10/40 to change it out .i am wondering if anyone has any experience with 20/50 oil ?this oil is 20 dollars a quart up here and if people are not having problems i would like to wait until the cooler weather to change it out to the 10/40 .any help is appreciated .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wftb View Post
    i am using 20/50 amsoil motorcycle oil in my bike right now because when i changed it last my supplier was outof 10/40 amsoil (and mobil 1 10/40 motorcycle oil) it only has about 400KM since it was changed but i got some 10/40 to change it out .i am wondering if anyone has any experience with 20/50 oil ?this oil is 20 dollars a quart up here and if people are not having problems i would like to wait until the cooler weather to change it out to the 10/40 .any help is appreciated .
    I'd get the heavy stuff out of there ASAP. It can cause oil pump damage and inadequate oil flow to critical areas. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

this oil is 20 dollars a quart up here
    Yikes!
    2011 RT LTD. Pearl White

Spyder Garage

this oil is 20 dollars a quart up here .
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyder4Tess View Post
    Yikes!
    Double Yikes. Sounds like you are buying it from Canadian Tire as that's their price. In Canada Amsoil ships out of Mississauaga or Edmonton. I'm sure one of the site sponsors that sells Amsoil can arrange that for you, and for a lot less than $20 per quart.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

I am with Scotty get that stuff out of there. BRP recommends 5/40 and using 10/40 is an acceptable compromise. But 20/50 is mostly for air cooled engines, the spyder is not. If you want to Amsoil use 10/40. If you want to use BRP oil, Lynne Hoy is not very far from you, get it there.

Do not use Mobil 1 it is rated SM and BRP specifically states not use SM rated oil.
    Last edited by billybovine; 08-24-2013 at 09:55 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't drain your 20w50. Leave it in and ride until fall, then change it for it's winter sleep. Granted your 20w50 is thicker, but it is not too thick. Again, this same engine in the Aprilia models recommends a 15w50. You're not going to damage a thing, except your walletby changing 100 dollars in oil before it's time. Here is the cut and paste from the Aprilia Tuono manual, with the Rotax 990.LUBRICANT CHART

(Recommended) Engine oil: EXTRA RAID 4, SAE 15W - 50 or TEC 4T SAE 15W - 50.

As an alternative to recommended oils, top brand oils meeting or exceeding CCMC G-4 A.P.I. SG specifications can be used.

(Recommended) Fork oil: F.A. 5W, F.A. 20W or FORK 5W or FORK 20W.

When you wish to obtain an intermediate response between those offered by F.A. 5W and F.A. 20W oils, you may mix the

different products as follows:

SAE 10W = F.A. 5W 67% of volume + F.A. 20W 33% of volume

FORK 5W 67% of volume + FORK 20W 33% of volume.

SAE 15W = F.A. 5W 33% of volume + F.A. 20W 67% of volume

FORK 5W 33% of volume + FORK 20W 67% of volume.

Bearings and other lubrication points (recommended): Bimol Grease 481, AUTOGREASE MP or GREASE 30.

As an alternative to recommended grease, use top brand roller bearing grease that will resist a temperature range of -30°C +140°C, with dripping

point 150°C - 230°C, high corrosion protection, good resistance to water and oxidization.

Battery lead protection: Neutral grease or Vaseline.

Spray grease for chains (recommended): CHAIN SPRAY or CHAIN LUBE.

Use new brake fluid only. Do not mix different makes or types of oil without having checked bases compatibility.

Recommended brake fluid: the system is loaded with Autofluid FR. DOT 4 (Compatible DOT 5); BRAKE 5.1 DOT 4

(Compatible DOT 5).

Use new clutch fluid only

(Recommended) clutch fluid: Autofluid FR. DOT 4 (Compatible DOT 5); BRAKE 5.1 DOT 4 (Compatible DOT 5).

Use only nitrite-free antifreeze and anticorrosive, ensuring protection at -35°C at least.

(Recommended) Coolant: ECOBLU 40 °C or COOL.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beanoil View Post
    I wouldn't drain your 20w50. Leave it in and ride until fall, then change it for it's winter sleep. Granted your 20w50 is thicker, but it is not too thick. Again, this same engine in the Aprilia models recommends a 15w50. You're not going to damage a thing, except your walletby changing 100 dollars in oil before it's time.
    I agree. Not to pick a fight with anyone, but I see no problem running a true synthetic like Amsoil a bit thicker than what BRP requires. It is true that Aprilia recommends 15/50 for the same engine in their motorcycles (though there has been some re-tuning of it for our Spyders). The higher number is the most important unless you are starting your Spyder in cold climate.

BRP recommends 5w/40 and then sells most customers 10w-40 oil for their Spyder (blended version - only the 'Full Synthetic' is 5w-40).

A true synthetic oil (which most are not, though they say 'Full Synthetic' or similar on the label) does not need a lot of modifiers to achieve viscosity stability. This is done through 'Engineering' the oil during the refining process. Type III mineral based oils used in most 'Synthetic' brands use additives to achieve stability.

A true synthetic, Type IV Ester based oil has a smaller, more stable molecule than Type III mineral based oils and will flow better at the same viscosity, especially in cold climates.

I know a number of Spyder owners in hot climates run 20/50 oil (which I do not recommend) and they swear by it. (Doesn't everyone?)

Would I recommend 20/50 oil for the Spyder? No.

Would I run it for one oil change if I had to? Sure, I don't think it will hurt a thing.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-24-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

thanks for the info everyone .my only concern was that it might cause strain on the oil pump gears but if they use a similar grade in the aprilia then i will leave it in till the cooler weather hits .with my oil pump gears having failed once already , i figure my bearings probably have a little extra wear in them already anyway .and i do buy BRP oil from lynn hoy in wingham , but even though they are a BRP dealer , they are not allowed to sell or repair spyders .they cant even order parts for me .i just got a new honda 750 shadow from them about a month ago .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    BRP recommends 5w/40 and then sells most customers 10w-40 oil for their Spyder (blended version - only the 'Full Synthetic' is 5w-40).
    I have to disagree. What they sell as full synthetic (what it's called) is 0w-40 and their blended is 5w-40.

On the web site xpslubricants.com the file name for the synthetic oil is BRP Synthetic 4T 0W40 _2213_ and on the semi synthetic is MSDS BRP Semi Syn 5W40 _2192_. On the first page of the MSDS for the semi Syn also list is as 5w-40.
    Last edited by billybovine; 08-24-2013 at 01:06 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

and i do buy BRP oil from lynn hoy in wingham , but even though they are a BRP dealer , they are not allowed to sell or repair spyders .they cant even order parts for me .i just got a new honda 750 shadow from them about a month ago .
    I think it sucks that good BRP dealers with excellent customer service are not able to sell or service Spyders. I have such a dealer 15 minutes from my house. Yet BRP gave dealerships to folks that have no idea what customer service is. So now I have to drive 1.5 hours to get the service I think I should expect. Some limited Spyder parts are available from non Spyder dealers. Stuff that is used cross platform and they have the same part number.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I have to disagree. What they sell as full synthetic (what it's called) is 0w-40 and their blended is 5w-40.

On the web site xpslubricants.com the file name for the synthetic oil is BRP Synthetic 4T 0W40 _2213_ and on the semi synthetic is MSDS BRP Semi Syn 5W40 _2192_. On the first page of the MSDS for the semi Syn also list is as 5w-40.
    Well, how about that! Maybe BRP isn't using Castrol anymore. Both MSDS files say 'Version IV'. So I should change my post to 'Used to' I guess. I am sure that is why there is no information on the BRP oil containers. That way they can change product without having to change the container.

Neither document states whether they are using true synthetic or 'Legal' synthetic base oils, though this is typical in an MSDS sheet.

So, I stand corrected and I thank you for the information.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

yes it is only 45 minutes to wingham and 1 1/2 hours minimum to get to two wheel in guelph .to sell the spyder at lynn hoy , BRP demanded they renovate the whole dealership .they could never sell enough to recover the cost .but BRP isnt the only company to treat us like we live in the arctic .if you buy an acura ,warranty work can only be done at an acura dealer .lots of fun having to drive 2 hours to get work done .we no longer buy acuras......

Spyder Garage

Always liked the line in the manual about always checking the container for API information. Say the people who don't put any API information on their oil jugs

Ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer