Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2009 GS SE5 Starting Problem

My SE5 will not start. I bought a trickle charger with a readout and know my battery is good, when I hit the M button on the handlebar, foot on the brake and hit the start button, it just clicks, clicks and clicks while the dash meters and readout go crazy!!
    Anyone had this problem? I am still very new to Spyders and am not sure what to do.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Battery..!!

I would try jumping it. If it discharged to a point the tender or small trickle will not bring it back. If you have a larger charger it will help. Check all cables to ground and power (positive) including at the battery. Good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

No matter what your charger says, your battery doesn't sound like it is charged...or can deliver a charge. Did you check again after you tried to start? A battery that has lost it's ability to deliver a charge will show OK on the charger but the voltage will drop too low as soon as you start to crank. A load test will show the bad battery. A jump start should prove the case...or a battery load test by the dealer (or Walmart/AutoZone). While you are at the store, pick up a multimeter. Very useful tool in situations like this.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default battery

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    No matter what your charger says, your battery doesn't sound like it is charged...or can deliver a charge. Did you check again after you tried to start? A battery that has lost it's ability to deliver a charge will show OK on the charger but the voltage will drop too low as soon as you start to crank. A load test will show the bad battery. A jump start should prove the case...or a battery load test by the dealer (or Walmart/AutoZone). While you are at the store, pick up a multimeter. Very useful tool in situations like this.
    So is there a particular brand of battery that you would recommend? What about these new Lithium Ion batteries vs sealed lead-acid?
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Web Runner View Post
    So is there a particular brand of battery that you would recommend? What about these new Lithium Ion batteries vs sealed lead-acid?
    The lithium batteries have not had good reports here when used in Spyders...results were mixed. I'd stick with tried and true. I am not one to worry much about brands, as long as they are of reasonable quality. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The battery in your 2009; do you know if it's the original?
    If it is; it's done a pretty good job, but I suspect that it's time for retirement...
    If your bike went that long on the oEM; I would also suggest staying with what works!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black