Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Remote garage door button

Just wanted to share with you a new install i did last weekend.
    I installed a remote button on the Spyder to open the garage door. It looks and works flawlessly.
    The small push button is placed in the plastic shroud just below the throttle on the bike.
    Steps:
    i took my circuit board out of the remote garage door buttons' housing.
    i took about 12" of thin gage wire and by experimenting with the contacts on the board and touching other ends of the wires together, figured out which ones opened the door.
    i soldered the ends of the wires to the correct contacts.
    i then bought a small enclosed black box from Radio Shack and put the circuit board in this box. (hmm, come to think of it, i probably could have figured out a way to get the same circuit board back into its' original case...)
    While at Radio Shack i bought a small red push button and mounted it on the bike.
    I wired the box to the switch, and then using Velcro, stuck the box under one of the removable side panels so that i could easily get to the box to change the battery.
    DONE.
    It looks professional, inconspicuous ,and works from the street before i even pull into the driveway!
    Highly recommended!

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Remote garage door button

Quote Originally Posted by 1BlackWidow
    Just wanted to share with you a new install i did last weekend.
    I installed a remote button on the Spyder to open the garage door. It looks and works flawlessly.
    The small push button is placed in the plastic shroud just below the throttle on the bike.
    Steps:
    i took my circuit board out of the remote garage door buttons' housing.
    i took about 12" of thin gage wire and by experimenting with the contacts on the board and touching other ends of the wires together, figured out which ones opened the door.
    i soldered the ends of the wires to the correct contacts.
    i then bought a small enclosed black box from Radio Shack and put the circuit board in this box. (hmm, come to think of it, i probably could have figured out a way to get the same circuit board back into its' original case...)
    While at Radio Shack i bought a small red push button and mounted it on the bike.
    I wired the box to the switch, and then using Velcro, stuck the box under one of the removable side panels so that i could easily get to the box to change the battery.
    DONE.
    It looks professional, inconspicuous ,and works from the street before i even pull into the driveway!
    Highly recommended!
    Very nice mod. It is way more professional than what I have done. I will also share my way for the less mechanical. It is not nearly as cool as this but it has worked for both bjt and me. Pouring rain has not been an issue, we have never lost our openers. We can just reach down and open the door from the street or driveway. He has the regular old fashioned rectangle opener and I have a key fob style opener and this worked for both of us. You will need all weather industrial velcro and that is it.

Here is a photo of key fob with velcro on back

Here is a photo of my hand putting it in place

Here is a photo from underneath and where I keep it at all times, I never take it off, I don't even think about it. You can't see it without bending down and looking for it.

With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Remote garage door button

I used the key fob style opener and used velcro to attach it under the handlebar plate also, but I did it near the top right underside of the plate. That way, I was also able to attach a key chain through the key fob to the throttle cable so that in the event the velcro or adhesive ever did release, the opener would not disappear. I just reach over the top of the bar and push the button. It is out of the elements and out of sight.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Garage door opener.

I too took the easy way out. Just velcroed a mini door opener onto the shroud just behind the windshield. Have used this method on several bikes over the years.

Jack H.