Thread: Suddenly Hot?

Spyder Garage

Default Suddenly Hot?

I was having moisture inside the glass of both gas and temp gauges, so I had them replaced under warranty a few days ago. On my way home, I noticed that the temperature of my engine was running hot. In fact the gauge is just below the redline. Over the past couple days I've noticed that this is the normal place it it in when I just started the engine after it's cold. I'm guessing it is a bad gauge? What do you think?

Spyder Garage

Default It's all over..!!

Guessing time is up..something is amiss..could be sending unit or cable connection, many have dumped those gauges and replaced them with oil pressure or volt meters etc. Once disconnected the digital gauge come on on your screen and works a lot better. But if warranty they will have to change it again...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Pull the wires off the gauges and compare to the digital gauge. If it reads differently it is the gauge or the connection at the gauge, if it reads the same it is the sender or that connection.....but first check your coolant level.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default How do i do it?

That's a great idea. Would someone be willing to give me a step-by-step instruction on how to do it? I have never done any work on my bike before. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Pull the wires off the gauges and compare to the digital gauge. If it reads differently it is the gauge or the connection at the gauge, if it reads the same it is the sender or that connection.....but first check your coolant level.

Spyder Garage

Default I'LL GIVE IT A SHOT

If you have an RT, just unscrew the four screws that hold your panel around your gauges in place. When the screws are out just pull the panel away, however I believe I had to turn the handle bars to the extreme right so the panel could come out far enough to expose the cables to your gauges. Just unplug the gauges. That's it. I left them unplugged permanently because I feel the digital gauges are more accurate. And don't be too stressed about the process. I am a @#$ yr old (lets just say retired aged) lady so you'll have no problems.