Spyder Garage

Default need help with rear brakes bike is jacked up in the air

I am changing the rear brakes I had the caliper off I think I push the piston out too far on the caliper I try pushing it back and I seen brake fluid coming from it can anyone tell me what should I do next
    Xm Radio, BRP CB, Top block off plate, Lazard LED, Utopia backrest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the fluid is coming out from around the piston that pushes the brakes pads in against the rotors; that piston has gotten pushed out a bit too far... Can you squeeze it back into placeiston has been pus?

If the fluid is dripping down from the reservoir; (That sits up under the seat kind of towrds the rear), I would guess that the pushed in too far... I HATE to suggest this, but you could lightly push on the brake pedal to move the piston back out a bit...
    Good Luck! Please let us know what happens next!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're also going to have to get your brake fluid levels back up to where they need to be.
    These bikes are a bit fussy about brake fluid levels. If you run it and get some warning lights on the dash; don't be too surprised.

Spyder Garage

When I replace pads 1st I siphon the fluid out of master cyl with a clean new battery filler, then remove calipers compress calipers completely one at a time put pads on replace calipers follow w remaining caliper siphon whatever addl fluid was compressed into master, then replace with fresh dot 4. When assembled I press on brake pedal 1/2 to 1" repeatedly until pedal is solid. Master could will develop a ridge inside and if you step on it all the way the seals will prematurely fail. Works with all disk or front disk rear drum. Use brake quiet on pads especially on fronts quietes them down.
    Sounds like you may have popped the piston out though squeeze it back in get dust seal seated right wash everything w water after assembled to save your painted surfaces then use brakleen to get it dry and clean. After that fill master try using a brake vacuum blessed till no bubbles then slowly try your pedal as above.
    Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope that he found a workable solution to this...

Spyder Garage

You can't push the caliper pistons in too far. You should never apply the brakes with the calipers off the bike. If they come past their seal there is a good chance you'll get air in the system and then you're going to need to bleed that out.

You should (as already mentioned) suck some brake fluid out of the reservoir before you start as it will make a mess if it overflows from the fluid being returned while collapsing the caliper pistons.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...