Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Major Clunk Clunk

"Major Clunk Clunk " I had to hit the throttle Going onto a main rd today My 2011RT has about 17,500 miles on it. I heard and felt this Major Clunk , which I'm assuming was maybe the Belt slipping a clog or two. I have a belt tighten'er so a little surprised if the belt is stretched so that it could do that But I will look to see if there is something Broken. My question would be are belts under the Best Warrenty? Or gears?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We need a little more information...
    Once you got up to speed; did the clunking stop?
    Has it re-appeared under acceleration?
    Can you upshift and downshift without clunking, clanging, grinding, or the sounds of screams and breaking glass?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yelhelp View Post
    "Major Clunk Clunk " I had to hit the throttle Going onto a main rd today My 2011RT has about 17,500 miles on it. I heard and felt this Major Clunk , which I'm assuming was maybe the Belt slipping a clog or two. I have a belt tighten'er so a little surprised if the belt is stretched so that it could do that But I will look to see if there is something Broken. My question would be are belts under the Best Warrenty? Or gears?
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the belt is considered a wear item and would not be covered under the warranty.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the belt is considered a wear item and would not be covered under the warranty.
    Not always
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I too sometimes have a loud clunk. Usually when shifting into gear from neutral to 1st or reverse but sometimes when shifting into other gears. I think the 1st and reverse are caused by me having a few rpms on throttle. Either I have hand on throttle or don't wait for rpm's to go down. Otherwise I just think the "gears" don't align correctly when I have my hand on the throttle and shift at to many RPM's.

Spyder Garage

Default N to 1st

Quote Originally Posted by Showie View Post
    I too sometimes have a loud clunk. Usually when shifting into gear from neutral to 1st or reverse but sometimes when shifting into other gears. I think the 1st and reverse are caused by me having a few rpms on throttle. Either I have hand on throttle or don't wait for rpm's to go down. Otherwise I just think the "gears" don't align correctly when I have my hand on the throttle and shift at to many RPM's.
    I always get a clunk from Neutral to 1st gear.
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

If it doesn't clunk, it's not in gear.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

you will always get the clunk going into first or reverse. The gearbox is still at that time so there is a hard transition. The rest of the shifts the gears are spinning allowing for smoother merging. Only other thing if this issue did not return is picked something up and spit it out in the belt area. Maybe did not engage gear fully and dropped out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yelhelp View Post
    Crazy as this sounds, If you hit the throttle hard accelerating from a stop or a slow roll and have the bars/steering turned a little the noise you feel is most likely the nanny kicking in.. Not to worry.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This "test for belt tension" has been posted in here before...
    Grab the belt at mid-span and give it a twist.
    You should be able to twist it ninety degrees with a reasonable amount of effort... (What does THAT mean? )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black