Thread: P1175 code

Spyder Garage

Question P1175 code

I received my first code today as I was pulling in my driveway. The Spyder died, so I restarted and pulled on in. I have the Kewl Metal air filter and have replaced the Cat with the Y pipe. When I had the Spyder serviced recently, I was told the history showed a lean code, which I believe was generated when we started up right after the Cat bypass. The computer then adjusted for the change. I was shocked to see the P1175 code, which indicates a Rich fuel mixture, the complete opposite of what I would have thought. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to check and why this would happen? I plan to take the filter off tomorrow and check it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Year and model of your Spyder would help.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    Year and model of your Spyder would help.
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

I'd ignore the glitch for now, but if it occurs again I'd be thinking plug wire or spark plug...or possibly (less likely) coil or ECM. Any misfire in a cylinder can result in a rich reading at the sensor.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default What is "Bank 2"

Ok, I removed the K&N filter, but had a lot of difficulty. I think I must have over oiled it, because the oil had turned to glue. I had to ruin the filter just to break it loose. I replaced it with a paper filter. I started the Spyder, which is running just fine and took a short ride. When I check for codes, it still shows P1175. I'm thinking that the over oiling may have fouled the O2 sensor. As I understand it, the P1175 = System Too Rich, Bank 2. What does the "Bank 2" mean? Also, my Midwest Manual for the RT 2013 does NOT have a list of codes. Perhaps it is in the older manuals for 2012 etc, but it is not in mine. I have seen people ask repeatedly if anyone has a PDF of the codes, and everyone answers that you should purchase a service manual. Well I purchased the Midwest manual and it is not in there. Once again, I ask, is there a list of codes someone could send me? Does "Bank 2" indicate which O2 sensor is malfunctioning, and is this something I can clean without riding an hour and a half to the dealer? Help, Please!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    Ok, I removed the K&N filter, but had a lot of difficulty. I think I must have over oiled it, because the oil had turned to glue. I had to ruin the filter just to break it loose. I replaced it with a paper filter. I started the Spyder, which is running just fine and took a short ride. When I check for codes, it still shows P1175. I'm thinking that the over oiling may have fouled the O2 sensor. As I understand it, the P1175 = System Too Rich, Bank 2. What does the "Bank 2" mean? Also, my Midwest Manual for the RT 2013 does NOT have a list of codes. Perhaps it is in the older manuals for 2012 etc, but it is not in mine. I have seen people ask repeatedly if anyone has a PDF of the codes, and everyone answers that you should purchase a service manual. Well I purchased the Midwest manual and it is not in there. Once again, I ask, is there a list of codes someone could send me? Does "Bank 2" indicate which O2 sensor is malfunctioning, and is this something I can clean without riding an hour and a half to the dealer? Help, Please!
    I bought my manual from them and noticed the same thing. I sent an email and they sent me a small file with codes, apparently with the new manual format being all models in one they didn't have the codes included. If you want send me a PM with your email and I will try to attach the PDF. If that doesn't work you could email them like I did and I'm pretty sure that they would send you the file.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I bought my manual from them and noticed the same thing. I sent an email and they sent me a small file with codes, apparently with the new manual format being all models in one they didn't have the codes included. If you want send me a PM with your email and I will try to attach the PDF. If that doesn't work you could email them like I did and I'm pretty sure that they would send you the file.
    PM sent. Thank you so much. Richard

Spyder Garage

"Bank 2" means cylinder #2 (rear cylinder).
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    "Bank 2" means cylinder #2 (rear cylinder).
    Thanks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have had same code. Now after it get hot sometimes it will stall but will restart. Anyone else have this problem. 2013 rt limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tony99 View Post
    I have had same code. Now after it get hot sometimes it will stall but will restart. Anyone else have this problem. 2013 rt limited
    Typically this would indicate a bad spark plug, bad wire, or bad connection. Lack of spark at the plug will cause a rich reading at the O2 sensor. The same issue can cause a stall. With a new Spyder I would lean on the dealer to make it right. They can keep spouting "it is normal"...but that doesn't make it right. Stalling combined with a fault code/check engine light (while running) indicates a need for repairs.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks nancytoy

Spyder Garage

Default replacement filter....

see my pm about replacing the filter.... I also have a brand new K&N filter for the KewlMetal Kit that I can ship for $15 total.

Spyder Garage

Default spyders

I also have been having alot of the same code coming and going.My codes are po171 and po174 and BRP tells me its lean bank 1 and 2 and may be the kind of gas I'm using.I was told to live with this issue which I think is BULLS##T.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    see my pm about replacing the filter.... I also have a brand new K&N filter for the KewlMetal Kit that I can ship for $15 total.
    I PM'd you earlier about the paper filter. I think I'll give it a try, but keep your K&N in mind. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Typically this would indicate a bad spark plug, bad wire, or bad connection. Lack of spark at the plug will cause a rich reading at the O2 sensor. The same issue can cause a stall. With a new Spyder I would lean on the dealer to make it right. They can keep spouting "it is normal"...but that doesn't make it right. Stalling combined with a fault code/check engine light (while running) indicates a need for repairs.
    I'll be talking to the dealer tomorrow. I had not thought of the spark plug or wire part. Is it Lamont that has replacement plugs and wires that are better than the ones BRP uses? Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I'll be talking to the dealer tomorrow. I had not thought of the spark plug or wire part. Is it Lamont that has replacement plugs and wires that are better than the ones BRP uses? Thanks.
    BajaRon has the wire sets and replacement plug kits.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron can set you up with what you need...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I put ron's plugs and wires in at 3k, to avoid this BS with the inferior BRP OEM parts. No issues and highly recommend his wires/plugs. Quality.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    I put ron's plugs and wires in at 3k, to avoid this BS with the inferior BRP OEM parts. No issues and highly recommend his wires/plugs. Quality.
    Thanks, I'll get them ordered.