Spyder Garage

Default Elios Motorcycle

This is classified as a motorcycle and will supposedly sell for $6800. How can they do that?

http://www.eliomotors.com/
    Last edited by dadof4; 08-10-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Spyder Garage

The CEO (Elio) is currently trying to get their design approved as a car. This will eliminate the helmet required in many states. It has three airbags installed.
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Spyder Garage

From their website .....

When you own an Elio, you’re not just a customer, you’re part of a family. So we’re not going to lure you in with that $6,800 low price, only to mention things like A/C and an AM/FM radio are extra. They’re not. You get those items plus heater, defrost, the three airbags, power windows and door lock, seat belts, tempered glass, and windshield wiper at no extra cost.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dadof4 View Post
    This is classified as a motorcycle and will supposedly sell for $6800. How can they do that?

http://www.eliomotors.com/
    They can't, as much as I would love to see something like this actually hit the road at predicted cost it's probably just another fantasy by a potential producer with a less than sharp pencil (or a shyster/dreamer looking to collect deposits for a fantasy R&D). I hate to be cynical BUT I've seen dozens of this type thing in aviation. If it were out, I'd buy one--but no way I'd put a deposit on one, ask the folks that put deposits on Eclipse very light jets or BD5 aircraft, etc (ad nauseum).
    2012 Spyder RT

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Confucius say: "If it sound too good to be true, it probably is."

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Default Could be..!!

a ponzi scheme..or just a way to get the ball rolling. At some point they will have to get real with the cost. The first few get the deal and slowly the price goes up. Sales point...get in before it goes up any higher...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I sincerely hope they can do it.
    If they can, it will be a revolutionary product.

It's hard to see how they can do it for the price when established manufactures with world wide facilities deliver a Piaggio MP3 250 cc model listing for $7199 and Can Am offers the Spyder RT for $22,499.

The answer is - they can't.
    JMHO
    I agree. While it "looks good on paper", I don't see how they'll be able to do it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They might be fighting an uphill battle; but I'm still hoping that they can pull this feat off!
    It sure would be good to see some jobs being created here in America!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Rumor has been out for over a year, if they build it i will buy it

Spyder Garage

Default Elio in the Flesh

Got a chance to sit in one of their mules today at the King of Prussia mall in Pennsylvania. It was a little tight side-to-side and downright claustrophobic for anyone crawling in the rear seat. But the driver's seat had plenty of legroom and the seat reclined comfortably. This one was manual but the production models will be automatic. I see it more as a commuter "car" and not a substitute for the They said they're able to keep the cost down because they're using several off-the-shelf parts rather than complete original development. Should be in the showrooms sometime next year. I'm no engineer, manufacturer, or economist, but like other previous posters, I hope they can make this happen for $6800 or close. If they can, put me down for one! I commute 180-200 miles a day. This would be like getting a raise until I retire!
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

on the one hand, I see no reason why they cant do what they say they are going to do

on the other hand, see the movie "Tucker".....
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

The ball is in their court.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Not to long ago GM put out a couple of econvertibles, Pontiac Sky and Saturn Sol starting at $19,999. They used the off the shelf thing. I'm retired, I don't need a commuter car.