Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire & BRP

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fire & BRP

I know that BRP has responded to one of these forums but not sure which one. I saw this on facebook. I would just like to say thanks to BRP for at least responding. I wish we could get them to respond more to all our concerns. BUT, this burning of our spyders is the pits. Please find a solution quick!
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check out the Thermal Event thread (post 110) and you will see their reply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP is in a very precarious position when they post in a forum:
    Now; everybody knows who they are, so they'll be open to about a go-zillion PMs about every little gripe that can be thought of.
    This could ultimately make them pull back from what might otherwise be a very kind and noble gesture from them...
    I'd like to see them be able to offer a more open presense in here; I'm just doubtful that it could be made workable.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Now; everybody knows who they are, so they'll be open to about a go-zillion PMs about every little gripe that can be thought of.
    This could ultimately make them pull back from what might otherwise be a very kind and noble gesture from them...
    I'd like to see them be able to offer a more open presense in here; I'm just doubtful that it could be made workable.
    Baloney GM has reps on almost all of their car forums willing to help their customers with cases including contacting dealers about there concerns. Why does it take 15 min to get BRP customer service on the phone? They need to step up their game in customer support especially for a $20-30k vehicle.

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.ph...profile;u=1143 2200 posts on one forum by GM
    Last edited by Magdave; 08-09-2013 at 07:44 AM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

GM versus BRP?
    The difference in scale is enormous...

Spyder Garage

GM versus BRP?
    Not in vehicle cost
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

GM versus BRP?
    So would a small volume outfit like Rolls-Royce also get a pass? I think service should not relate to company size, but companies which ignore issues rarely grow large and successful.
    Last edited by reverendg; 08-09-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Spyder Garage

They seem to be doing quite well in increasing revenue due to the Spyder by 27%

http://www.brp.com/en-us/company/new...r-2014-results

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Baloney GM has reps on almost all of their car forums willing to help their customers with cases including contacting dealers about there concerns. Why does it take 15 min to get BRP customer service on the phone? They need to step up their game in customer support especially for a $20-30k vehicle.

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.ph...profile;u=1143 2200 posts on one forum by GM
    GM versus BRP?
    Their target consumer base is totally different, and remember- I believe the Spyder is their first shot at an "on road" vehicle. GM's been in that game forever.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    Their target consumer base is totally different, and remember- I believe the Spyder is their first shot at an "on road" vehicle. GM's been in that game forever.
    Lack of skin in the game does not get them a pass. Ever hear of Tesla they haven't been putting vehicle on the road since 2008.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lack of skin in the game does not get them a pass. Ever hear of Tesla they haven't been putting vehicle on the road since 2008.
    I saw a Tesla at a Cars & coffee last year.

Spyder Garage

Default brp

i think BRP did the right thing and they should monitor web site forums like this to see what people think of their products and respond to issues. how much could it cost them to put a person from service dept's to look at the titles of posts and check out what is going on. i also think their response should be a general statement and after that they should send a private message to the person or persons who posted problems and let them know that they are interested in their problems and start cases with claim numbers for the people with the problem.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i think BRP did the right thing and they should monitor web site forums like this to see what people think of their products and respond to issues. how much could it cost them to put a person from service dept's to look at the titles of posts and check out what is going on. i also think their response should be a general statement and after that they should send a private message to the person or persons who posted problems and let them know that they are interested in their problems and start cases with claim numbers for the people with the problem.
    That is exactly how GM does it. It doesn't always help but at least they let the customer know they care and are willing to try and resolve their issues. Yes BRP finally posted heer a couple of weeks ago about the P0127 and P0217 codes but that was the first time they have publicly shown themselves. How long has this forum existed? How many recalls have been put out? Where can we get Service bulletin info on our OWN $20+k vehicle? I hope they continue to post and provide more info to the owners about what are known issues instead of taking it to what I already have found to be spotty quality dealerships that give us
    Last edited by Magdave; 08-09-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    The problem with that is they risk becoming someones "go to guy". There are plenty of people in this world that are simply high maintenance, and if the word got out, the poor BRP guy would be spending all waking hours just babysitting certain people, or risk getting a "bad mouthing" by the same.
    The other problem to go long the same lines is that if the BRP rep offers any advice, in some folks eyes, that would remove all sense of personal responsibility. Take the Spyderpops block off plate... If they came out and said that was "OK" to do, then some people would demand they foot the bill to make it happen, and others would probably block every vent hole up, and when their machine melted, they would find the original BRP statement, and file a lawsuit.

I fully understand their hesitation to respond on these public forums.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smaller companies should have better contact with thier consumers than a major. However when you factor in how big Bombardier is in actuality amongst its divisions, there should be plenty of resources to respond on a major issue such as this. Its not like its a small issue that you can get fixed at the dealer. This is a catastrophic mechanical failure, and its only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But they're not Bombardier; they're BRP. A spin-off...
    shelbydave put it far better than I ever could...(Thanks!)
    It would be fantastic if they could have a more prominent presense in here... I just fear that it opens them up to a lot more than they might have bargained for.
    But perhaps that first step towards this presense has been taken?

Spyder Garage

The problem with that is they risk becoming someones "go to guy". There are plenty of people in this world that are simply high maintenance, and if the word got out, the poor BRP guy would be spending all waking hours just babysitting certain people, or risk getting a "bad mouthing" by the same.
    The other problem to go long the same lines is that if the BRP rep offers any advice, in some folks eyes, that would remove all sense of personal responsibility. Take the Spyderpops block off plate... If they came out and said that was "OK" to do, then some people would demand they foot the bill to make it happen, and others would probably block every vent hole up, and when their machine melted, they would find the original BRP statement, and file a lawsuit.

I fully agree with this one. Some legal jackles will try to twist anything to their advantage. Then sue, in most cases the lawyers get a !/3 or so for their fee. I buy a new machine and a week later, find a scratch on it, then the manufactur must have done it. I will sue. I did leave it in the parking lot at the store and at work, not to mention hitting a fallen tree branch. Oh I did ride 20 miles on gravel road. But the manufactur is at fault.
    Finding the first mark is horrible ( I quit counting). Is it a location that could have been missed during pre delievery? Maybe the dealer would help as a good faith idea, but sue. No way.

There was a case several years ago. A Gold Wing rider was complaing to the dealer that his bike had been delievered in this condition and he had just noticed it. I followed them outside. The Wing had 4 or 5 inch gouge in the side of the saddlebag, plainly visible. The dealer replied, I do not see how either of us could have missed that when it was picked up over a month ago. The guy got real irate and yelled he was going to BBB about dealer fraud. ( I checked later and he had. ) They guy also said, he was to sue Honda, the dealer, the salesman. I have no idea if he did.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kepople View Post
    Smaller companies should have better contact with thier consumers than a major. However when you factor in how big Bombardier is in actuality amongst its divisions, there should be plenty of resources to respond on a major issue such as this. Its not like its a small issue that you can get fixed at the dealer. This is a catastrophic mechanical failure, and its only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt.
    SpyderAnn, we're very sorry to hear about what happened and would like to reassure you that BRP is taking this event very seriously; we will of course be launching a full investigation effective immediately.
    Furthermore, rest assured that regardless of the outcome, we'll do everything we can to make it right for you.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post669072

What more do you want? It just happened a couple days ago...

Spyder Garage

It would be fantastic if they could have a more prominent presense in here... I just fear that it opens them up to a lot more than they might have bargained for.
    That is what customer service is all about it is better to lead the horse than walk behind it.

Spyder Garage

They have had 6 years to correct this problem and should stop production until they fix it.
    They are letting the customer do their Research and development for them over the last six
    years with no expense to BRP. I have a 2008 PE# 301 and will never sale it, this was my mistake and I do not want the responsibility of hurting someone or burning their home down.

Spyder Garage

Bob, this post is the dead on. You nailed it. They'll get slammed with constant complaining.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post669072

What more do you want? It just happened a couple days ago...
    Geeze Dave it was only their 4th post in how many years? Don't ya think they should have been here long ago? I am not saying it is a bad thing just don't want to hear how hard it might be for them to address their customers or what kind of can of worms they might be opening. Maybe your bike has been flawless from the git go. Maybe you have a great dealer. Their are quite a few of us who have not had that luxury. I am now willing to drive mine 2hrs for service since I found and fixed many misaligned or non functional parts from the selling dealership who never returned my last call after I tried 3 times to talk to the service manager about the Heim links ( yeah I have a #4 with no dot). They quoted me $600 for the 600mi. service. Maybe BRP ought to be setting some standard service costs at their dealers. I paid $25,000 and sorta expect decent treatment. I at least expect to be able to look at Service Bulletins without a secret security clearance. I like the bike but have concerns about the quality of it and the available service. If I knew then what I know now I probably would not have bought it. As it is I will make the best of it and try to enjoy the ride

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Geeze Dave it was only their 4th post in how many years? Don't ya think they should have been here long ago?
    They opened this membership in June...
    And as I mentioned; perhaps this is the "first small step in a thousand mile journey..."
    Should they have been here earlier? We all have those "Woulda/Shoulda/Couldas", in our lives.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-09-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ivanlee View Post
    They have had 6 years to correct this problem and should stop production until they fix it.
    They are letting the customer do their Research and development for them over the last six
    years with no expense to BRP. I have a 2008 PE# 301 and will never sale it, this was my mistake and I do not want the responsibility of hurting someone or burning their home down.
    I'm not sure how to answer this without sounding harsh...

I've been trying to find the actual numbers of Spyders sold in the US and Canada since inception, to no avail... I did see where they made 12000+ by May 2009. Now that was just the one model. So using that base,

Let's say for numbers sake...
    2008 - 6000
    2009 - 6000
    2010 - Started the RT line as well, so 4000 RT 4000 RS = 8000
    2011 - Stick with 8000
    2012 - 8000

So, now we're up to 36000 units. I haven't heard of a lot of fires, but lets say there have been 10 that burned
    That's 0.027% of the total units sold. Although ANY fire is bad, that number isn't stunning enough to warrant an investigation.

Let's look just on this forum...

We're close to 12,000 members. Let's say that 50 people have the smell of gas... 0.41% smell gas
    Now you can bump that up to 100 - 0.8%

Now, I'm not defending BRP. They have had 2 2013 models burn that we know about, so there is an obvious problem somewhere. It may be a quality control issue with a certain part, it may be some type of manufacturing issue, but looking at the numbers above, you couldn't say it's an engineering issue.

Disclaimer... Those numbers were just pulled out of the air... not actual statistics. If someone has the actual stats, it would be nice to run those, and get the real percentages...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The WAG method of accounting ; do you work for our government?