Spyder Garage

Default 1st death of the year on the Tail of the DRAGON

This past Saturday saw the 1st death this year on the Tail of the DRAGON. A sport bi ke was passing a slower bike in a curve, over cooked the corner and went over the side. Be safe out there!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

thoughts and prayers go out to his family...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I read where there was another death last weekend...A 44 year old from NC...will try and find a link
    Last edited by Littlebadwolf; 08-08-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Not for nuthin but do we really have to read up about deaths,
    Is't that what the obituaries are for...
    We already know that Motorcycles are dangerous....
    Just my thoughts..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Not for nuthin but do we really have to read up about deaths,
    Is't that what the obituaries are for...
    We already know that Motorcycles are dangerous....
    Just my thoughts..
    I find the information useful. And, I'm sure it makes a few people think... before twisting that throttle too fast.

Plus, it was in the Title... you didn't have to open it, but you did.

Spyder Garage

Guy down the street said it was a friend of his. Passed another vehicle and didn't get back over in time, left the road and hit a tree. His sons were also riding with him and saw it happen. It was at mile marker 10, the hair pin turn. He said the guy always wore full protective gear.

Spyder Garage

Sad to hear about this (I had read about it earlier this week) and I pray for his family. I think we should realize that we face dangers every time we ride from those around us so we should do everything we can to protect ourselves. Unfortunately, this rider took a chance when he should have been patient and it had a tragic outcome.

If you study the accidents on roads like the Dragon you will find that most of them happen because the rider lost focus or pushed beyond their limits. US 129 is a beautiful ride and I fully love it each time I am on it. My fear on that road is the trucks and the crazy drivers that stray outside their lane and hurt or kill someone that is enjoying their ride safely.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    If you study the accidents on roads like the Dragon you will find that most of them happen because the rider lost focus or pushed beyond their limits. .
    It's not going to bring this guy back; but if we all remember this, and pass it along...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Here's the article from a local newspaper...

published Monday, August 5th, 2013 'The Dragon' in the Smoky Mountains claims another motorcyclist

by Associated Press

MARYVILLE, Tenn. — A motorcycle crash on U.S. 129 has killed a suburban Atlanta man.
    The Knoxville News Sentinel cited a Blount County Sheriff's document in reporting 46-year-old Patrick Brian Noll of Dallas, Ga., died Saturday night on a curvy stretch of the Smoky Mountains road, nicknamed "The Dragon."

The police report stated Noll passed a slower bike coming of a right-hand curve. As he began slowing for a left-hand curve, the rear wheel locked, sending the motorcycle into a straight-line skid. The machine laid over on its right side, throwing Noll into a large tree and then down an embankment. He was wearing a regulation helmet.

Noll was taken the Blount Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Spyder Garage

The hard facts in cases like this, not where a guy coming the other way comes into your space, is somebody let their ego/butt/lack of skill over ride good sense. Buying/riding a high performance sport bike does not make you a racer.
    Several years agon, now. I was riding a Honda ST1100 and passed aguy leading into a curve (not the best idea in the world, I know), he crashed right behind me. I came back, of course.He lost his full race pocket rocket and crashed. Bike in 2 pieces, and he had a broken arm and other injuries, but lived. Found out from guys following him, he never touched front brakes and pulled over to pass me on that blind turn. His bike had better performance capability then mine, but I appear to be have been a better rider (in this case).
    I later decided I was getting to dang old at 70 to be doing things like this and slowed down. then I got my 2008 GS/RS and had to run the Dragon with a couple fast runs. Okay, enought of that. Then with my 2010 I "trotted" the Dragon a couple times just to see. Last time down there, went on the Skyway, instead.(Been there before)
    I believe there is a saying around here: Do not ride faster then your Angel can fly.
    I feel for the family, but when you push the limits, things happen, not alway good things.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have fun riding, just ride safe and god bless to all.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod