Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Led headlight worth it ?

Is changing out our stock headlights to HID headlights worth it ?

Is there a lot of difference between the normal headlight ( which are good in my opinion) to the HID headlights ?
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default HID headlight

You will not regret installing this headlight upgrade! I also changed the foglights on my RT to HID.

kriemer

Spyder Garage

Is this a simple change of the bulb or do you have to change out the whole light assembly.
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DriftersWay View Post
    Is this a simple change of the bulb or do you have to change out the whole light assembly.
    There is more to it than a simple bulb change.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I was afraid you was going to say that. Sounds like a winter job. Thanks
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hid are nice but with led all you do is change the bulb.......look for a set of them

Spyder Garage

The HID kit is VERY nice. I picked them up last year from a dealer on mark down. Dont regret it at all. If your mechanically inclined, it is not a bad install at all. Did mine in just over an hour.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greatrides View Post
    Hid are nice but with led all you do is change the bulb.......look for a set of them
    LEDs do not project enough to be used as headlights at currently available US technology levels. HIDs are the only source that will cast more light down the road.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

rayeade

Harley bikes have led headlights as an option but they are expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    LEDs do not project enough to be used as headlights at currently available US technology levels. HIDs are the only source that will cast more light down the road.
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. If done correctly LED headlights do project as far if not farther then HID's.
    I have had the HID in my Harley and now I have the LED headlight in the Harley. The LED is great, but spendy. The thing I like about the LED is that it is self contained where as the HID has ballest for each light that you need to find a place for and I had two ballests go out and take out the bulbs which were expensive to replace.

That being said I am not aware of true LED headlights for the Spyder.
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

The HID headlights are 3x brighter!!! I can see so much better Last night on our ride home we stopped at a parking lot before everyone went their own separate ways and I got the "holy **** those headlights are so damn bright".
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. If done correctly LED headlights do project as far if not farther then HID's.
    I have had the HID in my Harley and now I have the LED headlight in the Harley. The LED is great, but spendy. The thing I like about the LED is that it is self contained where as the HID has ballest for each light that you need to find a place for and I had two ballests go out and take out the bulbs which were expensive to replace.

That being said I am not aware of true LED headlights for the Spyder.
    There is no LED headlights that have the long distance projection power that HID has....... PERIOD. I've researched it thoroughly.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. Seeing some places have them marked down to under 400.00 from 900.00 originally I was thinking it might be time to do them or at least buy the kit and put away for a winter project.
    Last edited by kawakii; 08-08-2013 at 01:43 AM.
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know where to buy LED bulbs that will fit in the current Spyder headlights ? I didn't know this may be an option. Our Harley has led headlights and works great.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

$400.00...You're gonna steal them....far better than the stock set-up...No comparison

Spyder Garage

Default Where to order LED headlight bulb

Hi,

I am a new spyder RT owner, so far 200 miles and loving every minute of it. This is a very interesting thread. I love HID however the kits are big time expensive. Does anyone have a link or manufacturer part number for a LED bulb for the spyder?

Thanks,

Mike McCormick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kawakii View Post
    Does anyone know where to buy LED bulbs that will fit in the current Spyder headlights ? I didn't know this may be an option. Our Harley has led headlights and works great.
    There's no such kit for putting LED in a spyder headlight. The Harleys work because they have a big round headlight that can be replaced with a fixture that has tons of LED elements in it. The small surface area of the projector beams won't allow for enough LED elements to provide necessary light. U shoulda bought one of those kits that I pm'd you about $349 shipped is Damn near free. I'm pretty sure the last kit was purchased a few days ago but out wouldn't hurt to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    $400.00...You're gonna steal them....far better than the stock set-up...No comparison
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by mike3119 View Post
    Hi,

I am a new spyder RT owner, so far 200 miles and loving every minute of it. This is a very interesting thread. I love HID however the kits are big time expensive. Does anyone have a link or manufacturer part number for a LED bulb for the spyder?

Thanks,

Mike McCormick
    It would be interesting if someone should develop a kit for the RT. Maybe one of our vendors would take on this task

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike3119 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks,

Mike McCormick
    Unfortunately LED bulbs would not provide enough light output to be used as your low beams. Currently our brightest LED bulb is rated at 750 lumen which is still less than a halogen bulb. An HID kit would be your best option still. If you use the Spyder Lovers forum coupon code "SL" you can get a XenonDepot HID kit as low as $89.99 shipped.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Danny

Spyder Garage

Is it safe to assume that my RT would still suffer from the effects of the headlight shutter system with an HID kit installed?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    Is it safe to assume that my RT would still suffer from the effects of the headlight shutter system with an HID kit installed?
    The shutters stay in place as your hi/lo beam switch

Spyder Garage

That's what I thought, thanks Arctic. So, basically, the "winking" or "bright lights" affect doesn't go away with HID's, it just makes it brighter, right?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    That's what I thought, thanks Arctic. So, basically, the "winking" or "bright lights" affect doesn't go away with HID's, it just makes it brighter, right?
    That would be true...only changes in headlight aiming and riding with brights in the daytime can affect the "winking". Having the HID's can make the light do its job well enough that owners are more inclined to lower the aim, however, and still feel they see far enough ahead.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Does all this only apply to RT Spyders?

Or are all Spyder headlights basically the same?

In other words, will these kits work on my measly old ST-S ? LOL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Does all this only apply to RT Spyders?

Or are all Spyder headlights basically the same?

In other words, will these kits work on my measly old ST-S ? LOL
    This applies to the RS and RT. The ST does not have the projector lenses and shutters. You may be able to fit some sort of HID replacement, but you will need to find the standard bulb number to get the right one and there may not be a plug-n-play kit yet. Probably a dual-element bulb, but I don't know which one.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for everyone's input. We got the BRP HID kit on clearance for 349.00 instead of 925.00 so my significant other bought them as my birthday present