Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Reading OIl Level - Having hard time

I dont want to sound stupid, but here it goes anyway. I have had many vehicles over the years and know how to check oil levels. I know the procedure to check the oil level in my Spyder RS SES that is not the problem. What the problem for me is reading the dipstick. It always appears wet here and there but no definite line of oil. So I am never sure to add or not add. In other other vehicles of mine there is always a definite line of oil to show where the oil level is. Is it just me or do others have this problem with the Spyder?

Spyder Garage

Focus on the raised cross lines on the stick. You can see where the oil gets trapped in the diamond shaped indentations.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Believe me, I have done tried checking the oil 50 times over the past year. No definite line in or out of the cross lines

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Believe me, I have done tried checking the oil 50 times over the past year. No definite line in or out of the cross lines
    are you sure the oil level is high enough to touch the dipstick?
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

This is a silly question, and is not meant to be insulting or demeaning, but are you removing it, cleaning it, then reinserting it before pulling it a second time to check the level? Second question, did you try waiting 30-60 seconds after shutting it off for the oil to settle and the bubbles to dissipate? Third question, are you screwing the stick down when you reinsert it? Fourth question, is the stick wet at all?

I have had trouble seeing a real distinct line with such a small crosshatch pattern, but have never had any trouble making out the approximate oil level. You should be able to tell where the stick is wet and where it is not. If you still can't figure it out, swing by your dealer and have him demonstrate.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    This is a silly question, and is not meant to be insulting or demeaning, but are you removing it, cleaning it, then reinserting it before pulling it a second time to check the level? Second question, did you try waiting 30-60 seconds after shutting it off for the oil to settle and the bubbles to dissipate? Third question, are you screwing the stick down when you reinsert it? Fourth question, is the stick wet at all?

I have had trouble seeing a real distinct line with such a small crosshatch pattern, but have never had any trouble making out the approximate oil level. You should be able to tell where the stick is wet and where it is not. If you still can't figure it out, swing by your dealer and have him demonstrate.

Yes to all your questions
    Yes it wet but not a definite line, thats whats driving me crazy. I would like to see a definite line somewere in the Crosshatch area so I feel better knowing its not too full but not to low.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Yes to all your questions
    Yes it wet but not a definite line, thats whats driving me crazy. I would like to see a definite line somewere in the Crosshatch area so I feel better knowing its not too full but not to low.
    As long as it is within the crosshatch area, you should be fine. I'll admit that the hatch is too small to show a real distinct line.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's the number one dumb question that you're going to hear about this ...
    Are you sure that you've got enough good lighting in place to aid in your viewing of the situation?

(Blind as a bat here...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Paint the stick flat black....

Spyder Garage

One other suggestion...drill a 3/32" to 1/8" hole in the stick just below the line at the full mark. Put another at the low mark and one or two in between. Be sure to deburr the holes. You can then use the highest hole filled with oil as an indicator.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    One other suggestion...drill a 3/32" to 1/8" hole in the stick just below the line at the full mark. Put another at the low mark and one or two in between. Be sure to deburr the holes. You can then use the highest hole filled with oil as an indicator.
    That is a darn good idea!

Thanks, Scotty.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Hi Tazzel. I had the same frustration checking the oil. I took a 7" x3/8" carriage bolt, spaced a washer at the same spot where the o-ring washer would sit when the dip stick was screwed into the oil tank. Then I cut a slot into the bolt where the fill mark is. Works like a charm. The wAsher is 7/8" I believe. The bolt is hefty but doesn't wobble when inserted into the tank. Makes oil checking a snap. Hope the pictures help. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375954678.779830.jpg

Spyder Garage

Wow! Don't mean to be mean but I've not had this problem. I know some have issues with foaming and foam will leave an indefinite/spotty marking on a dipstick. Maybe that has something to do with it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    That is a darn good idea!

Thanks, Scotty.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    X2. Great idea

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On my Spyder RT-S 2010 SE5 Model

I have the cross hatch marking XXXXXXX

and I also have a F with an arrow under it to point to the full mark

Page 123 of the 2010 Operators guide which can I understand be viewed on the BRP Site
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World