Spyder Garage

Default Keyless ignition?

Has anyone looked into or tried something like this on there syder I sure like having it on my car? http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/keyless.htm
    Ram mount on both upper air deflectors custom ram mount for ATC9k action cam
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    Dual Color MagicFLEX® Channelz finder lights
    TIPZ units
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR UPPER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR LOWER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CATALYTIC CONVERTER SHIELD
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

The DESS should be easy enough to bypass. Just remove the antenna from around the ignition key barrel. Mount it with a programed transponder key glued or taped into it, somewhere under the bodywork. The DESS module wouldn't know the difference.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The DESS should be easy enough to bypass. Just remove the antenna from around the ignition key barrel. Mount it with a programed transponder key glued or taped into it, somewhere under the bodywork. The DESS module wouldn't know the difference.
    I figure you could leave that alone and just hide the key some where under the tupperware or does it have to be in the switch to work, not sure about the run stop switch but I figured some one on here would know
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

Have you written them? sales@digitalguarddawg.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by txroadrunner View Post
    Have you written them? sales@digitalguarddawg.com
    Not yet wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with the system first.
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by yamahog View Post
    I figure you could leave that alone and just hide the key some where under the tupperware or does it have to be in the switch to work, not sure about the run stop switch but I figured some one on here would know
    I have not tried it but other Spyderlovers have and the range is extremely short. Less than an inch would be a good guess.

The transponder chip in the Spyder key does not have a battery, so the range is very short. The transponder chip in the system you are looking at is powered by a battery and the range according to the web site is 10 feet. Same technology different application.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Remember that with the Spyder it is not as simple as merely turning the ignition on and pushing the starter button. You have to turn on the ignition, wait for boot up, push the mode switch, then start the machine. Don't forget about checking the kill switch, either. It should not be disabled for safety reasons. I would doubt your keyless starting module would have the sophisticated programming and multiple outputs to accomplish the entire starting procedure. There is more to it than merely fooling the DESS.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That 's nice if it can be install easily like a thumb print starter. It may take awhile before BRP will catch up.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Remember that with the Spyder it is not as simple as merely turning the ignition on and pushing the starter button. You have to turn on the ignition, wait for boot up, push the mode switch, then start the machine. Don't forget about checking the kill switch, either. It should not be disabled for safety reasons. I would doubt your keyless starting module would have the sophisticated programming and multiple outputs to accomplish the entire starting procedure. There is more to it than merely fooling the DESS.
    The system the OP is referring to is a keyless ignition system not a remote starter. I agree a remote starter system would bring up a lot of other challenges.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The system the OP is referring to is a keyless ignition system not a remote starter. I agree a remote starter system would bring up a lot of other challenges.
    If all you want to do is turn on the ignition,,,without the key, I'm sure it may be able to be done, but why bother when there are so many other things you have to do manually. If you just don't want to carry your key around, use the Lamonster IPS. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default keyless

i had one on my triumph rocket III and it was ok i remember it was a pain in the butt to install but i wouldn't do it again
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default good points

Lots of good points brought up, that is what I love about this place :-) I was mainly wanting to eliminate having to dig for the key and to incorporate it into another idea I had, I would never be comfortable about leaving the key in the ignition it looks cool but too much of a theft risk in my opinion, and having to carry around a chunk of billet in a holster would defeat the goal I am after of not digging for a key.
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

While they do offer the remote starter option that is not what I am after, just the keyless ignition to eliminate having to dig for the key, just get on, flip switch to run, hit mode switch, the start button and go
    I deleted my post for that reason.

in Scotty's opinion, the IPS is the cheaper way to go on this alternative.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scotty is right; what'll you do about the need for a remote-controlled thumb on the "mode" button?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My next door neighbor had a Harley with a keyless system factory install. One day when out for a ride he stopped in a rural location to look at the scenery. The bike would not start, the battery was dead in his fob and he did not have a spare. So beware of the complexity you are adding.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

These bikes are already just a wee bit on the complex side...
    Fooling around with their electricals just seems a bit too much like tickling a dragon's tail... sooner or later; you're gonna get burned!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't know about any of the other questions, but I can say for certain that the key does not have to be in the ignition. It does have to be very close, though. Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've started my bike with an unchipped key in the switch... But the chipped key had to be touching against it for the fires to get lit.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Keyless Ignition

Has anyone looked into or tried something like this on there syder I sure like having it on my car? http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/keyless.htm
    Can't do it, according to Guard Dog. Sure would save a lot of time and money for us owners who have a key slip out of the BRP designed Mickey Mouse key holder.