Thread: Frunk Wont Open

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Frunk Wont Open

I blew a fuse to the Front trunk and Horn, I can use the electric switch to open it, any ideas would be appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    How about using the key & cable method?
    (Press down and turn key opposite of what you do for the seat/gas)
    My frunk won't open either. I tried the method above, and it still won't open. It is loose, but it won't open. Any help appreciated. My full helmet is locked inside.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

A short time back there was a very informative thread on how to open the frunk, without power and with a broken cable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Bob!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Thanks for the video, Bob. I tried everything you suggested and it still won't open. I can hear the click and it loosens, but won't release all the way. I fear that I will have to make the 1.5 hr trip to my dealer to unstick it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dubld View Post
    Thanks for the video, Bob. I tried everything you suggested and it still won't open. I can hear the click and it loosens, but won't release all the way. I fear that I will have to make the 1.5 hr trip to my dealer to unstick it.
    That almost doesn't make sense. I have a feeling it is very close to unlatched. If you hear the click it seems it should.
    Are you being shy on trying to pull up on the lid? Maybe the rubber molding has it stuck. e.g. you got the latch but it still wont come up because the rubber stripping has it jammed to one side. Try pulling as hard as you can before you feel something is gonna break. Pull up from where the latch is not from a outside corner.

Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

By the way let me add.....

In my video, you saw that "I thought" it was unstuck because I heard the click. It was not. The click you hear is just the mechanism getting in the unlatch lock-hook position. But the hook was still not far enough back to let go of the pin.

The force I used to push down WAS A LOT to get it to completely unlatch! You here me grunt in the video but that is not underestimated!
    Probably 30+ pounds of force I am guessing?

When you have to push down hard, do it at the peak of the V in the lid. That's it's strongest area. Maybe bounce the push force a little and try some side to side push angles.

While doing this even though you heard the click, you still need to be turning the key so your pulling on the cable inside. If you don't, good chance it will just fully re-latch again.

Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    That almost doesn't make sense. I have a feeling it is very close to unlatched. If you hear the click it seems it should.
    Are you being shy on trying to pull up on the lid? Maybe the rubber molding has it stuck. e.g. you got the latch but it still wont come up because the rubber stripping has it jammed to one side. Try pulling as hard as you can before you feel something is gonna break. Pull up from where the latch is not from a outside corner.

Bob
    It makes no sense to me either. I pushed and pulled with enough force that I was afraid I was going to break something. Tried again today. Will not open. I called my dealer. They said to bring it in anytime. Not real convenient for me as it's a 1.5 drive just to get there. I don't see any other option though. I appreciate your assistance, and in the future will make sure the rubber seal is on correctly before closing.

Spyder Garage

Ok, I went to my dealer today to get my frunk unstuck. Big shout out to Chad at Metro in Cedar Rapids, IA. It was stuck good. The latch was out of place and would not release. He had to take the whole front clip off to get at it. He adjusted it properly and lubed it and it works great now. It was a great day for a ride. Beautiful weather.