Spyder Garage

Default Vibe Dampening Grips

I found a few posts for other models but I didn't know what differences there were for the RS models so I figured I would ask here.

2012 RS-S SE5

I need some new grips as the stock grips put my throttle hand to sleep pretty fast.
    If I went with the (very popular) Kury Grips, can anyone tell me which part or item number I want to get that will fit over the throttle?
    kuryakyn_iso_grips_for_harley_touring0812_black_zoom.jpg

I was looking at the Grab On foam grips (but read in some forums these actually fatigue the hand because you have to constantly squeeze the foam) too.
    05GrabOnDeluxRoadGripsLG.gif

I am also open to other suggestions because these tingling fingers are getting annoying. Thanks for reading!

Spyder Garage

I wanted to add, that my grips are not heated and I would prefer to just remove the OEM grips instead of carving them up to fit the "clam shell" grips over them, that sounds like a real mess waiting to happen to me.

Spyder Garage

Grip Puppies are the same and slide on easily. You do not need a firm grip I lay my fingers over it and hardly ever use my thumb at all. I too have Carpal Tunnel numbness and it makes it much better,. Plus they allow the heating to occur ( Hi gets pretty warm too). Got mine on eBay from UK and they fit perfectly look stock.

Grip Puppy.jpg
    Last edited by Magdave; 08-06-2013 at 01:28 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

I know you are asking about grips; but, if you are picking up a vibration through the handle bars, that could be part of the problem. I first purchased the original grip buddies just over a year ago (for my 2008 GS, SM5) and then installed the BRP handle bar end weights due to a similar problem.

I just tore off the OGB yesterday b/c they had deteriorated and at first I thought that was a mistake b/c now the handle bars felt funny due to the smaller diameter. But, today I went on a 200 mile ride for a laser alignment and found during the trip that all I needed were the bar end weights; my hands were fine today. Just a thought, in a different direction.

Spyder Garage

Grip puppies did it for me on my 2012 RS. Was experiencing the same tingling, but not after adding the GP sleeves.

Spyder Garage

Default maybe solution is in the alignment

After I aligned my 2012 Limited the vibration in my grips and the resulting numbness in my hands disappeared.
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pjweimer View Post
    After I aligned my 2012 Limited the vibration in my grips and the resulting numbness in my hands disappeared.
    You may be right b/c the last bit of vibration in my handle bars was gone after my laser alignment today.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default alignment

....... wow alignment uh never heard of that .so how much do they cost. Both of my hands get numb also but its been like that on any bike that ive ever had.so maybe the soft grips /foam grips would work out ????I don't know. someone said that they was really cheap. can someone provide me with the link to the grips. thanks chuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RidersInChrist View Post
    ....... wow alignment uh never heard of that .so how much do they cost. Both of my hands get numb also but its been like that on any bike that ive ever had.so maybe the soft grips /foam grips would work out ????I don't know. someone said that they was really cheap. can someone provide me with the link to the grips. thanks chuck
    Search Amazon for this:
    Grab On Grips Grip Cover - Fits From 1.25in. to 1.45in. OD - 5in.L MC402

You can find them for about $9 delivered. They are about 1/2" longer than we need for our bikes, but they are simple to cut down to size with regular scissors or a utility knife. Spray inside with hairspray and they slip right on without much fuss.

Spyder Garage

Just google grip puppies. Buy the original, not a knock off and they last a long time. I went thru 2 pairs in 37000 miles.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

Again a thumbs up here for Grip Puppies. One bonus I've found in winter is the foam also traps heat from your hands and keep them warmer (I don't have heated grips). Before fitting the Grip Puppies I'd found the original grips were slightly too small for me and so became uncomfortable, and though I hadn't been that worried about vibration I found one of my thumbs started to go numb on longer journeys. Mind you I'm used to Old Brit and Jap bikes so the Spyders silky smooth in comparison to those:-)

Spyder Garage

If you are getting enough vibration to make your hand go to sleep there is probably something wrong, like the alignment mentioned above or wheel balance. Or my favorite, removing the Ride On from the tires. I use end weights and there is minimum vibration after removing the Ride On and rebalancing the front tires. I know people love Ride On but it created problems for me.

I am in a minority, but I like the standard grips, although heated ones would probably make me change them out.

I suggest looking into the root cause of the problem rather than adding something to mask it. You may solve your hand problem but then the bike will be shaking itself apart, which will lead to other problems. JMHO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobnaquin View Post

I suggest looking into the root cause of the problem rather than adding something to mask it. You may solve your hand problem but then the bike will be shaking itself apart, which will lead to other problems. JMHO
    I couldn't agree more. But, sometimes people try to take the least expensive way out.

Spyder Garage

Foam grips work great for me and are comfortable on my hands. Did not like grip buddies because of the seam, it irritated my hand.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default iso's

if you go with the iso grips, there is a specific kit for the rss. I have them, and they are two different sizes (inside diameter) accounting for the dif in just handlebar and right side with throttle. they are great, and they were very easy to install.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MuGGzy View Post
    I found a few posts for other models but I didn't know what differences there were for the RS models so I figured I would ask here.

2012 RS-S SE5

I need some new grips as the stock grips put my throttle hand to sleep pretty fast.
    If I went with the (very popular) Kury Grips, can anyone tell me which part or item number I want to get that will fit over the throttle?
    kuryakyn_iso_grips_for_harley_touring0812_black_zoom.jpg

I was looking at the Grab On foam grips (but read in some forums these actually fatigue the hand because you have to constantly squeeze the foam) too.
    05GrabOnDeluxRoadGripsLG.gif

I am also open to other suggestions because these tingling fingers are getting annoying. Thanks for reading!

Have you considered a "GEL" glove (below) ? Not a long term solution but possibly temporary comfort!

Cyclone Gel Glove

$40.00 USD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobnaquin View Post
    If you are getting enough vibration to make your hand go to sleep there is probably something wrong, like the alignment mentioned above or wheel balance. Or my favorite, removing the Ride On from the tires. I use end weights and there is minimum vibration after removing the Ride On and rebalancing the front tires. I know people love Ride On but it created problems for me.

I am in a minority, but I like the standard grips, although heated ones would probably make me change them out.

Just to mention in my case wheel alignment and balance have already been done and yes it's well worth doing if only to stop uneven tyre wear. In my case I'm not sure vibration was actually the cause of the discomfort - rather the diameter of the grips were too small, particularly at thumb end because they narrow down. I initially thought it was vibration but as mentioned I've had bikes with far more vibration issues and not had a problem before.

Spyder Garage

Default Küryakyn ISO-Grip and Bar Snake

Bar Snake is a polymer cylinder that installs inside handlebars and absorbs vibration. Installed five years ago at the same as grips. Pleased with both.