Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default when to replace tires?

A little different slant to an existing thread, but when is the best time to replace both forward and rear tires? I have over 10K miles on my bike, and am showing interior tread to the wear bars on the rear tire, but so far tread looks good on the front ones. Should I go for 12K on the rear one? Do you generally replace all 3 tires at once or wait for front tires to display greater wear? The forum always gives good advice!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Change them when you figure that the tread is worn down to a point where you figure that roadholding is compromised.
    I dumped the OEM at a point where it was pretty much shot. I could have limped it along maybe another thousand miles, but I was at the end of the season, and changing it then saved me from losing a riding day the next year...
    You certainly don't have to change all three at once; although I would change the two up front at the same time.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

If your hitting the wear bar on the rear its time for a change the fronts can be changed later.
    Dont waite until the last minut or the tire may fail or cause a safty hazard.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

I've replaced my back tire twice. The front need replacing now They have over 33'000 miles on them. You do what you think is best. If the front tires look like they have plenty of thread I wouldn't change them. To each his own.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm closely watching the back tire right now... I only have about 1000 miles to go before I need my BIG 14,000 service. Since the back wheel has to come off for that, I'll just replace the tire, even if there is a little more life left in her.

My fronts are looking really good! One would think I ride wheelies all the time!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by muonwhiz View Post
    A little different slant to an existing thread, but when is the best time to replace both forward and rear tires? I have over 10K miles on my bike, and am showing interior tread to the wear bars on the rear tire, but so far tread looks good on the front ones. Should I go for 12K on the rear one? Do you generally replace all 3 tires at once or wait for front tires to display greater wear? The forum always gives good advice!

My first RT's rear was replaced at 16,000 but I had to replace the rear on my 2012 RT at just over 12,000 as the wear bars were present but I pulled my trailer a lot more with the 2012 so that could explain the difference. Since I have a trailer hitch I decided to have the rear brakes done at the same time, just to make it easier as long as every thing was disassembled.... pads aren't that expensive.

First RT still had excellent tread depth on the fronts at 16,000 but I made a mistake on the fronts on the 2012. At 12,000 I had them dismounted, rotated and re-mounted and could never get them back in balance again. Rather than fight it I just replaced the fronts shortly after I did the rear but I am convinced if I hadn't messed with them, I could have run them to at least 20,000 miles
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I replaced the rear tire on my 2010 RT at 9,040 miles with an OEM tire, again at 14,467 this time with a Kumho Ecsta, and again at 32, 175 miles with another Kumho Ecsta. The original front OEM tires have over 35,000 miles and still look good. Age may get them before wear does. I don't think there is any reason to replace front and rears at the same time on the Spyder but that's just my opinion. I almost always replaced front and rears together on my two wheelers because the rear always wore out before the front and I didn't like thinking that I might have more traction on the rear than on the front and I don't think that concern applies on a 3 wheeler. Again, just my opinion. Cotton

Spyder Garage

Default Looks like..!!

from the many posts it is about 3 to 1..so maybe on your third rear change all three. But go by the wear limits sometimes you will have uneven wear and the ratio will not apply..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If the wear bar is even with the tread, it is illegal in most states to drive on it.
    In my opinion, tires are cheap insurance. Blow outs are no fun on anything. A fatal M/C ( two wheels )wreck here in Dayton, Ohio yesterday. TV stated witness said, the bike lost the rear wheel, but it looks like tire came off the wheel. One witness said, they heard a bang. Happened on interstate.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

No real difference than a car tire... wear bars are there for the obvious reasons. Time to change However, when the alignment is bad and the tires wear unevenly, it may be time to git 'r dun then and that is usually before the wear bars show. Keep the air appropriate as well to extent he life of the tire

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    I replaced the rear tire on my 2010 RT at 9,040 miles with an OEM tire, again at 14,467 this time with a Kumho Ecsta, and again at 32, 175 miles with another Kumho Ecsta. The original front OEM tires have over 35,000 miles and still look good. Age may get them before wear does. I don't think there is any reason to replace front and rears at the same time on the Spyder but that's just my opinion. I almost always replaced front and rears together on my two wheelers because the rear always wore out before the front and I didn't like thinking that I might have more traction on the rear than on the front and I don't think that concern applies on a 3 wheeler. Again, just my opinion. Cotton
    What he said: 15k on the rear. 30K plus on the fronts. Read the wear indicators and go with that.

Spyder Garage

Another consideration is that some shops will not pass an inspection on a tyre with uneven wear too much to one side of the tread or the other. Even if the wear is not down to the bar.

Y