Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default A crash, and a testimonial

Last Saturday, it was a beautiful day here in Northern Virginia. I took my new ST out on another "getting to know you" ride... I've got barely over 100 miles on it. I was on a windy road in a wooded area, and on a curve I came upon a long stretch of loose gravel left over from a pothole repair, dead-center of the lane. My front two wheels straddled it but the back one caught it. There was a quick moment of kick-out by the rear tire, but with both front wheels secure on pavement, I regained control almost instantly, and went on my merry way. I thought to myself, "Man, I'm glad I'm on three wheels. That would have been bad for two."

Later that day, on my return home, I was going down the same road, but from the other direction. As I approached that same curve with the gravel, a BMW motorcycle coming the other way, at a pretty good clip (35-40 mph) hit the gravel strip, and in his attempt to regain control, came right over into my lane... not partially mind you... nose to nose with me. We couldn't have been but a few feet apart when he completely lost control and started to lay it down. In that fraction of a second when the mind works at super-speed, I had the choice to stay straight and run right into him, or make a hard cut to the right... into the woods. I made the cut to the right... down an embankment and right into a tree. He slid by me on his side... probably missing each other by a fraction of an inch.

I was, at the last second, able to keep my nose from hitting the tree, and caught it between my nose and the left front wheel. I took a lovely summersault over the throttle side, and landed, luckily, on some dirt. Here's the kicker... if I had been driving a car, the other guy would be dead. No way that quick turn could have been made. If I had been on a two-wheeler, we'd both probably be dead... or at least spending a long stay in the local hospital. As it was, we both walked away. He was in full armor... and, the cycle he was on... had 7 miles on it. He was literally driving it home from the dealership!

After a friendly local helped pull my bike out of the woods, believe it or not, I was able to DRIVE it home! Later that day I limped it to the local Can Am dealer, and I got the repair estimate back today. While pricey, there was no major structural damage. Even though one wheel ended up pointed in a different direction than the other, no sway bar, struts or steering problems. Most of the damage was cosmetic... fenders, front bumper, lights, etc. I'll get an alignment too, of course.

Gotta say... the Spyder is a tough machine. Took a likin' and kept on tickin'... and saved the life of an out-of-control biker in the process.

I'm still nursing my wounds... mostly just strained muscles and bruises. 53-year-old bodies apparently don't like flying through the air and landing on their backs. But, I'm fine, and my Spyder and I will be back on the roads in a few days.

Keep ryding friends.

photo 1.jpg
    Last edited by Questions; 05-01-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that all went well and the damage is fixable. Thoughts and to both of you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear it turned out for both of you

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear your ok

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bikes can be fixed or replaced; you cannot!
    So; Welcome to the "Spyder Crash-Test-Dummy" Club crash-test dummy.jpg10-11-11 02.jpg (Been there...wrecked that)
    Did the BMW rider admit that he was to blame for the accident? His insurance should pay for all of your damages.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-01-2014 at 04:09 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

as long as your ok that's all that matters.

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to Hear That

Sorry to hear what happened to you but glade you were able to walk away.

Bob

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad you're both ok, time to report it to the DOT and have that hole replaced...sad that it comes down to them not knowing, or waiting to repair holes that cause a lot of wrecks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Bikes can be fixed or replaced; you cannot!
    So; Welcome to the "Spyder Crash-Test-Dummy" Club crash-test dummy.jpg10-11-11 02.jpg (Been there...wrecked that)
    Did the BMW rider admit that he was to blame for the accident? His insurance should pay for all of your damages.
    Not a club I was eager to join. But, wow. You sure did smack that puppy. And yes, the BMW rider is paying for all the repairs. He not only knew and admitted he was to blame, but thanked me for making the decision I did… I think he knows it saved his a%#.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

your title says it all. Glad you both came out in fairly good condition. Sorry the bikes got damaged. Thats one thing to remember about these machines..whatever you manage to avoid between the front wheels you will hit dead on with the back one..ask my wife..!! heal well and hope your roadster will be fully operational soon...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

None of us ever want to join this club; I just wanted you to know that you're not alone...
    Mine was completely my own fault...
    $13,000 in damages to the bike
    $9,000 in damages to the Subaru that I Tee-Boned...

Spyder Garage

Default Bob, were you

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    None of us ever want to join this club; I just wanted you to know that you're not alone...
    Mine was completely my own fault...
    $13,000 in damages to the bike
    $9,000 in damages to the Subaru that I Tee-Boned...
    injured? I don't envision anything good happening to the lower body after the gravity factor is taken into account on a Spyder after a frontal impact....

Spyder Garage

Default Good outcome!

Great job!! Glad you and the other rider came out of this OK. Yes, the Spyder saved the day....hope I never have to find out!

Thanks for sharing your story and the picture....
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wis2013rtltd View Post
    injured? I don't envision anything good happening to the lower body after the gravity factor is taken into account on a Spyder after a frontal impact....
    Not a bit!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Phew ! As both a BMW two-wheel, and a Spyder RT rider I can appreciate the story from both perspectives. Kudos to you for thinking of the other guy rather than just for yourself. I'm sure that Beemer rider is thankful too. Glad you're both ok and that the damage to your machine is not too extensive.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Time to go to church...Glad all is well...

Spyder Garage

Glad you're both ok
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear your ok!

Hey Bob, looks like we're both not exclusive to just one club...

IMG_00000113.jpg
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad that you're okay, and it's all in the past...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Add my Glad you are both kind of okay. I know the other is glad you did what you did.
    I made a left turn onto a four lane road over the interstate, I had just got off off, kind of slow speed. Then I was backed almst in to the guardrail at a 90 degree angel to the road. Killed the engine with the stop switch, just a car came sliding just past the nose of the nose of the Spyder, almost sideways. I and the car driver moved to stop all traffic from the spot. Called LEO. Spiled oil of some kind, LOE and Fire department said, probaly several gallons. They thanked us. I thank the guy upstairs, that I had just recently bought the Spyder and was on it.
    Oldmanzues

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow. Thank God you are both OK.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing your story. Am glad you both walked away without serious injuries.
    Machines can be repaird or replaced, lives cannot! Thank the Lord you both are OK.
    Hope you Spyder will be operational soon. Great judgement on your part.

Once again, take care and ride safe.

Spyder Garage

wow, glad your ok along with the other guy.....scary stuff. what kind of bmw was he riding?
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad you are ok. I am not sure why it's taking so long to fix the pot holes in Northern VA and the one they fix are raised several inches with loose gravel all over the place

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

thank the good lord for three wheels!