2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Thanks!

This guy is gonna be getting some calls...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Go here..!!

I found that "Lockpics.com" have them in stock.. $7.65 each plus shipping....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is that for a transponder key with the chip, or just an empty case?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Is that for a transponder key with the chip, or just an empty case?
    It looks like it has the chip and it is half the price I paid. It is also a different brand than the one I got. Looks like some guinea pigs have already ordered them and I hope they let us know how it works out.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yelhelp View Post
    I have been a locksmith for twenty plus years , we stopped doing auto work about 15 years ago when the transponders came out. Basically because of the software up dates . But If I thought it would be helpful I would dust of the old key machine and update the electronics bring some blanks to Spyderquest .
    Looks like around $2,100 for a cloner... line up about 300 Spyder Lovers and you can make a little extra scratch...

Spyder Garage

Default Check Your Local Locksmith Before YOu order

I was quick to order two keys and now find it may not be so simple to clone them. One locksmith said he can do cars but doesn't have the software to do cycles as they are different and it wasn't cost effective to buy the software.

The web site of one smith in Greensboro lists the cloning but charges $75.

I had one done once by the dealer and the cloning charge was about $37 as best as I can remember. Still had to get it cut by a smith first.

Figured I"d go ahead and have one cut and use it for locking/unlocking trunk & frunk.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Ok..ok.. Who's making the key run to Canada? To the place where they can be programmed n cut?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Key cloned

Purchased a key from Lockpicks. Arrived in 3 days. In the mean time I called several local locksmiths (mostly large businesses) about cloning the key. Got a lot of verbal dancing about software, programming, very specialized, difficult but we can try with no guarantees ($40 minimum charge) etc. I gave up trying to find someone to clone the key and went to my local Ace hardware down the road to have the key cut. While cutting the key I told the owner about my quest in finding a locksmith who could clone the key. He got a rag out of his back pocket and cleared his work table uncovering a bunch of business cards taped to his work table. Pointed to small locksmith a couple to towns from me (10 miles). Called them up, rode down and had the key cloned for $20. The cloning process took about 45 seconds. They were a little hole in the wall shop, go figure.

Spyder Garage

I did not realize it would be such a problem getting the key cloned. Two years ago I went to my locksmith and asked if he could copy it. He dropped my key into the machine and said Texas Instrument chip sure no problem. The problem came when he tried to order the blank from his supplier. They did not stock it and would not order it. That's why I thought getting the blank was the problem, not the actual cloning.

2018 F3 LIMITED

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just ordered a couple from lock picks. Anyone know of a transponder transfer place in Charlotte area!?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pslawing View Post
    Just ordered a couple from lock picks. Anyone know of a transponder transfer place in Charlotte area!?
    As I mentioned above, a dealer can do it, and a year ago it cost about $37. As best as I can remember an OEM key blank was $37 and $10 for locksmith to cut it, then back to dealer for cloning. Quite an ordeal they way they have to do it.

However, if you find a locksmith in the Charlotte area that does it at a more reasonable cost, please post it here.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Default Cloned in Lexington NC

Stopped by local hardware store in Lexington NC today to get some spare keys made for my sheds ($2 ea) and the gent there cut my new spare and said "we clone cars, lets see if it will read yours" and proceeded to stick my OEM key in a little box and said "yep it read it, lets see if it transfers the data" and stuck the new key in and said "yep it did". Took about 10 sec. While he was cutting shed keys I went out to check and it worked as it should.

My concern about getting it done and what seemed a big deal turned out to be nothing.

Asked him how much for cutting and cloning and he said "nothing"! Told him I was gonna put this on the forum and others might come in. He grinned and said "tell them $5".

for Lanier's Hardware as we locals know it but its now called True Value.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 08-13-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Told him I was gonna put this on the forum and others might come in. He grinned and said "tell them $5".

for Lanier's Hardware .

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Default Broke Key

Back in Sept The wifeand I went to Cave Spring Bike Rally well to make a long story short I broke the only key I had with us so her uncle had to ride me back to the house 60 miles one way to get the spare key on his Harley Tri-Glide. So the following Monday I ordered two Can-Am keys Wednesday they came in so I went and picked up the keys was told I would have to have them cut to the spare key went and did that came back to to the bike shop to get the keys coded and was then informed that they would have to have the bike there at the shop to code all three keys. (for the life of me why in the H--- they didn't tell me that when I ordered the key) so I drove home got the bike went back to the shop the tech came out stuck one key in at a time and reprogramed them sitting on the Spyder after all was said and done $123.00: $49.00 EA for the keys from spyder dealier ( $34.95 on Package from Can-Am) $25.00 to program. I now have one on the Spyder my wife carries one and I have one there is no problems having extra keys around the bike when it is running.

And if you have ever wondered what the inside of a Can-am key looks like here some pics of my broke key after I cut it open.

IMG_1194.jpgIMG_1193.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Just found it here for less.............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Flow View Post
    Back in Sept The wifeand I went to Cave Spring Bike Rally well to make a long story short I broke the only key I had with us so her uncle had to ride me back to the house 60 miles one way to get the spare key on his Harley Tri-Glide. So the following Monday I ordered two Can-Am keys Wednesday they came in so I went and picked up the keys was told I would have to have them cut to the spare key went and did that came back to to the bike shop to get the keys coded and was then informed that they would have to have the bike there at the shop to code all three keys. (for the life of me why in the H--- they didn't tell me that when I ordered the key) so I drove home got the bike went back to the shop the tech came out stuck one key in at a time and reprogramed them sitting on the Spyder after all was said and done $123.00: $49.00 EA for the keys from spyder dealier ( $34.95 on Package from Can-Am) $25.00 to program. I now have one on the Spyder my wife carries one and I have one there is no problems having extra keys around the bike when it is running.

And if you have ever wondered what the inside of a Can-am key looks like here some pics of my broke key after I cut it open.

IMG_1194.jpgIMG_1193.jpg
    It would be very interesting to know how he programmed the keys sitting on the spyder!
    Most cars if you have 2 keys you can program an extra at the car with no device needed to do it.
    If this is the same, the procedure would be well worth KNOWING!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boomerkc View Post
    Thanks Jim!!
    Is that foot/ankle/leg all healed up yet?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New spare key

A while back I ordered a clonable transponder key from a vendor on the internet. The key number is ZD23RT5. It cost me $15.00 plus shipping and it looks like this.

Today I finally got around to visiting the locksmith. The transponder chip cloning took less than 30 seconds and another minute or two on the key cutting machine. I got two house keys cut at the same time and he charged me $10.00.
    The new key works exactly like the original key. It starts and the Spyder does not act any differently.

This may be an option for some other folks.
    It is a little cheaper then a Can-am key, but not a lot.
    Avoids the hassle of getting a new key programed at the dealer.
    It has a hole in the head for a key ring if you wish.
    Where can I get that key please

Spyder Garage

Default apologies

I know this isn't Spyder related but it does have to do with keys, anyone know if the programmable keys they sell on Ebay for a 2003 BMW 3 Series car will work? jsut bought the wife a car but didn't come with a spare? anyone locksmiths out there?
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe you should try:
    bmwlovers.com...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    It would be very interesting to know how he programmed the keys sitting on the spyder!
    Most cars if you have 2 keys you can program an extra at the car with no device needed to do it.

Bob
    The procedure is in the service manual and is simple enough. It is of no help to an owner to program their own keys. One of the steps in programing new keys requires using a special dealer master key. I doubt they just hand them out.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that a better description of the programming process, is "Cloning".
    They take your "good" key, and read what's on the chip.
    They then just copy that over to the new chipped, but unprogrammed key...

Spyder Garage

The procedure is in the service manual and is simple enough. It is of no help to an owner to program their own keys. One of the steps in programing new keys requires using a special dealer master key. I doubt they just hand them out.
    Thank you for the explanation of that! I did not know there was a procedure as I do not have a manual yet.
    That explains it. I was hoping it could be a user thing as my car supports that. Bummer.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Bob
    Bob, Don't think he had to sit on it, but the key does have to be inserted in the lock while they do things with the computer and at some point the motor has to be run for 2 min.

Was at the shop today and they marveled over the el cheapo I was using and how easy/quick it was to duplicate. Mech said he wished they had a duplicating machine as it would save him a lot time time.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)