Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New spare key

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If I wanted an OEM Can-Am key blank, what would the part number be? Do I have to order it from the dealer?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AWEInCA View Post
    If I wanted an OEM Can-Am key blank, what would the part number be? Do I have to order it from the dealer?
    I have no idea what year model you have. The pre 2014 keys are different than the 2014, so they would be different part numbers. You might try a google search for "20XX Can-Am Spyder key" (replace the XX with the last two numbers of the year model.) If you find some, call your dealer and ask what they charge.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Cliff,

Re: The clonable blanks are running about $7 at the place I ordered mine and I paid less than ten dollars to have the key cut and cloned.

How about some info you where you did what?

1. Where did you buy the $7 key?

2. Where did you have it cut & cloned?

Thanks,

Jerry Baumchen
    In the market for a 'clone' or two
    I don't have the info on the road with me, but the key model number is (JMA ZD23RT5) and I believe this was the webpage (http://www.lockpicks.com/aprilia-sco...23rt5-jma.html). There is a least one webpage that lists it cheaper, but that is without the chip.

The first batch I had cut by a locksmith at $10 a pop, and a local ACE hardware cloned them free. The second batch I had cut at a different ACE, but he said his machine wouldn't recognize it and the ACE that had cloned my first set had suddenly set a policy that they won't clone keys they don't supply. A local LOWES cloned them for me, I may have paid a buck or two for that. The LOWES would have cut them for me if I hadn't had them done already.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default Locksmith tried

So, I get two keys from www.lockpicks.com (ZD23RT5 or item #KB-TP05ZA-9-P) for an excellent price. Went to David's Lock and Key in Columbia, TN.The "clone machine" read the only key I have immediately (was only given one key when I bought the bike, '12 RT-L from the dealer), and both blanks accepted the "clone". But, and however, the bike wouldn't start using either one of them. They tried several times with the same results. Totally bummed as I hate having only one key available. I just want to give a shout out to this locally owned shop, and also to see if anyone has an idea on the "why" the "clones" don't work. BTW, they cut the blanks at no charge. Great customer service. And P.S.; The Columbia Ace Hardware gave me a hard time when I told them what I needed. The guy I spoke with acted like it was a cardinal sin or something.
    Last edited by iw12surf; 08-26-2016 at 09:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iw12surf View Post
    So, I get two keys from www.lockpicks.com (ZD23RT5 or item #KB-TP05ZA-9-P) for an excellent price. Went to David's Lock and Key in Columbia, TN.The "clone machine" read the only key I have immediately (was only given one key when I bought the bike, '12 RT-L from the dealer), and both blanks accepted the "clone". But, and however, they would not start the bike. They tried several times with the same results; "clones" accepted transfer from my key. Totally bummed as I hate having only one key available. I just want to give a shout out to this locally owned shop, and also to see if anyone has an idea on the "why" the "clones" don't work. BTW, they cut the blanks at no charge. Great customer service. And P.S.; The Columbia Ace Hardware gave me a hard time when I told them what I needed. The guy I spoke with acted like it was a cardinal sin or something.
    Insert a cloned key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch on. Watch the display for about a minute. Watch for the message "BAD KEY". Let me know if you get that message or not.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Insert a cloned key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch on. Watch the display for about a minute. Watch for the message "BAD KEY". Let me know if you get that message or not.
    Billybovine, yes, I did get the "key error" indicator. I appreciate any help as I'm a novice when it comes to the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iw12surf View Post
    Billybovine, yes, I did get the "key error" indicator. I appreciate any help as I'm a novice when it comes to the Spyder.
    Obviously I am not Billy. My thought is that if your original key starts the bike, and the new keys give you the bad key error, then they somehow did not get properly cloned. A proper clone will look just like your original to the security module. So if you aren't getting the same response, then it didn't get properly done. My suggestion would be to either take it back to the folks that cloned it and ask them to redo it, and then check before leaving the business, or take the keys to a different shop and have it done. Again, check that it works with the bike before leaving the business.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    Obviously I am not Billy. My thought is that if your original key starts the bike, and the new keys give you the bad key error, then they somehow did not get properly cloned. A proper clone will look just like your original to the security module. So if you aren't getting the same response, then it didn't get properly done. My suggestion would be to either take it back to the folks that cloned it and ask them to redo it, and then check before leaving the business, or take the keys to a different shop and have it done. Again, check that it works with the bike before leaving the business.

They did it three times with each time the same result. We're limited on lock smiths in this area that can (or will) do the clone. As much as I hate it, I may have to fight the madness in Nashville to find another shop. Thank you for the suggestion.

Spyder Garage

Gray Ghost said what I would have.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Gray Ghost said what I would have.
    Really appreciate all the help. Will try someplace else next week.