Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas Mileage Chart for 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM5

This chart represents EVERY fill-up since I purchased my Spyder new.

CLICK HERE
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 08-02-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Very nice..!!

great report. So what your saying is there are ups and downs..!! Don't know where your miles are at now but our RS gets better all the time (9,000 miles)..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    great report. So what your saying is there are ups and downs..! Don't know where your miles are at now but our RS gets better all the time (9,000 miles)..
    ??? I said 7,172 miles (as of yesterday). That number shows on the webpage I have linked to.....

I just wanted to share my experiences. Most people seem to be reporting low 30's overall mileage so I am in the ball park. I am not lead footed, etc. and usually follow the posted limits. I also believe a lot of people complain about the difficulty of filling the fuel tank. I hold the gas pump in a certain way in order to be able to fill the tank. To be accurate, these type of reports ASSUME you are filling the tank completely on each fill-up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post
    This chart represents EVERY fill-up since I purchased my Spyder new.

CLICK HERE
    Great chart. It's good to see all the data with its peaks and valleys. Your real close to that magic 30-31 that most report.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Very cool -what program is this?
    David Horn, Kerrville, TX
    Fulltime RVer
    2014 Phaeton 40ft motorhome w/TandemTow trailer
    2014 Mazda CX5 (Soul Red)
    Ringo, the travelin' canine (just black and tan)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Nice to see the mileage we typically get reinforced. thanks for the post!

Spyder Garage

We use the "Gas Cubby" app on our smartphone. After 26,291 miles, and 783 gallons of fuel over 217 fill ups, our overall average is 33.6.

We have no complaints! I buy recreation fuel (100% gas, no ethanol) whenever I can. Get into 35-37 mpg range when we use it (with our generally low speed driving), around 30 if we do 70 mph, and mid 20's if we run that speed pulling the trailer.

Bill
    Last edited by GadgetGuy442; 08-17-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have seen so many of these posts with gas mileage averaging 30 + MPG. I have a 2011 RTS, have never seen above 25-26 and have 8,000 miles on it. I have tried all speeds, etc. not sure what the problem is, are there others out there with my results. I can't understand how the same bike can differ so much with different owners rather than the obvious of how you use the throttle, but as I have said, tried every speed, etc.

Spyder Garage

Fuelly.com. See my signature. As you might guess I am a little lead footed compared to the OP. I am sitting just over 30500 miles.
    Last edited by kinggeek; 08-02-2013 at 07:12 PM.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

I think it would be good to add to the chart what gas maker and octane you used as well as any methanol percent.

I would also imagine the type of driving being done would help too!
    We all know stop and go will be worse than a highway run.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kinggeek View Post
    Fuelly.com. See my signature. As you might guess I am a little lead footed compared to the OP. I am sitting just over 30500 miles.
    I've never seen 30 MPG except in peaks that had to be fill up errors.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I think it would be good to add to the chart what gas maker and octane you used as well as any methanol percent.

I would also imagine the type of driving being done would help too!
    We all know stop and go will be worse than a highway run.

Bob
    It doesn't seem to matter for me I get worse mileage no matter what I do. I burn regular and all of that has 10% ethanol around here and everywhere else I've been.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Alberts46 View Post
    I have seen so many of these posts with gas mileage averaging 30 + MPG. I have a 2011 RTS, have never seen above 25-26 and have 8,000 miles on it. I have tried all speeds, etc. not sure what the problem is, are there others out there with my results. I can't understand how the same bike can differ so much with different owners rather than the obvious of how you use the throttle, but as I have said, tried every speed, etc.
    Are you using E10 or non-ethanol fuel? The non-ethanol fuel will get you better MPG. Both of my cars saw a 2 MPG increase when I switched them from the E10.

Spyder Garage

Just to give my input. I have a 2013 RT-S with 1400 miles. My daily commute is 60% highway at 75 MPH, 30% main roads at 55 MPH and 10% at 30 MPH. Running 91 octane non-ethanol fuel, I get 29-30 MPG. I'm hoping it will increase as it breaks in, but I am happy with those numbers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    Are you using E10 or non-ethanol fuel? The non-ethanol fuel will get you better MPG. Both of my cars saw a 2 MPG increase when I switched them from the E10.
    Straight gas in the midwest is as rare as chicken lips... and using that in everything I own knocks my mileage down a couple. Heck I can only get 42 MPG in GL1800 using gas with 10% ethanol. The only place you can find pure gas is airports and near lakes and then you have to buy super to get pure gas and at an inflated price. Just not cost effective to burn it anymore.

JT

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
    Very cool -what program is this?
    I use a website called fuelly.com. I have all 3 of my vehicles registered (it is free). The vehicles I have registered are 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM5; 2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT (new car - cost less then my Spyder - bought both last year); and 2008 KIA Sorento (with 6 cyl - 4WD, last year Sorento's were made in Korea - needed to pull my 18 ft. boat).

The fuelly.com website also allows you to compare your vehicle(s) to similar vehicles to see how you compare which is another feature I like.

I also have a program called gasdandy that is on my computer. I track on both.

I have an APP for non-ethanol fuel on my IPhone. The closest station to me is 26 miles away and it is a boat marina. The next closest is another boat marina. If you would help me affix a flotation device on my Spyder as well as a propeller, that might work for me even though I would use half my gas and all of my time to get there and back. Non-ethanol gas is rarer then a honest politician in these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Alberts46 View Post
    I have seen so many of these posts with gas mileage averaging 30 + MPG. I have a 2011 RTS, have never seen above 25-26.
    As you can see from several replies to this post, most of us claim in low 30's. Too be honest, I would only rely on claims from people who track their mileage religiously. A lot of people "guess" their mileage. With a 4+ gallon tank, it wouldn't take much to "guess" wrong and assume the wrong mileage. Mileage programs usually rely on you to fill-up the tank which can be problematic. Many people (in other threads on this forum) have commented how difficult it is to fill the tank properly.

I think it would be good to add to the chart what gas maker and octane you used as well as any methanol percent. I would also imagine the type of driving being done would help too! We all know stop and go will be worse than a highway run.
    I am not a long distance rider (or foul weather rider or cold weather rider). I would guess 60/40 (city/highway) would be a good estimate for me. I have a LOT of short hops. The first year (2012) I owned my Spyder I used regular octane gas (87) the majority of the time. At the end of the 2012 riding season (I live in Central Ohio) I permanently switched to 93 octane. I live in a village in Ohio. A village is a community of less then 5,000 people in Ohio. I buy from Sunoco or Shell usually, but to be honest it is hard to pick and choose sometimes. I try to stay away from store chain gas (Meijer, Kroger, etc.) and I usually defer to Speedway gas when a Sunoco or Shell station is not available.

I am a fair weather rider (no rain, sleet, snow or really cold weather for me), but I do use my Spyder as much as I can. I bought my 2012 Chevy Cruze in February 2012; I bought my 2012 Can-Am Spyer RT-S SM5 in April 2012. I have around 4,500 miles on my Chevy Cruze and 7,200 miles on my Spyder. When you take into account I usually don't ride my Spyder between November and March in Ohio, you can see I HEAVILY favor my Spyder whenever I can. I am single and can use it for grocery shopping, etc. with no problems. Plus, it just plain fun to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    I've never seen 30 MPG except in peaks that had to be fill up errors.
    The damn tanks on these things are fickle which often means the pump shuts off BEFORE the tank is filled. So you get one high mileage report (when the pump shuts off prematurely) followed by a low mileage report the next time. I figure by keeping a detailed report, everything eventually evens out. Above 30 seems standard for most of us.

Just to give my input. I have a 2013 RT-S with 1400 miles. My daily commute is 60% highway at 75 MPH, 30% main roads at 55 MPH and 10% at 30 MPH. Running 91 octane non-ethanol fuel, I get 29-30 MPG. I'm hoping it will increase as it breaks in, but I am happy with those numbers.
    I would think with speeds of 75 over half the time, you are right in the ballpark with the rest of us.
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 08-03-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

I use a website called fuelly.com. Mileage programs usually rely on you to fill-up the tank which can be problematic. Many people (in other threads on this forum) have commented how difficult it is to fill the tank properly.
    Filling the tank to whatever level IMHO is close enough when using fuelly.com as you still get the total miles tracked and the total gallons. 4656 miles and 173.77 gallons of gas is 26.79 MPG so it really doesn't matter how accurate I fill the tank overall.

JT

Spyder Garage

It doesn't seem to matter for me I get worse mileage no matter what I do. I burn regular and all of that has 10% ethanol around here and everywhere else I've been.

JT
    I can agree with less mileage when there is ethanol in the gas.

A couple years ago I drove a cab over motorhome with a 350 in it from Los Angeles to Indianapolis. It was a "get there run" straight drive for 35 hours (2200 miles). I drove the entire way except for one 400 mile stretch when I napped. This motorhome got the same mileage doing 55 or 70. One leg we tried following a truck to see if mileage improved at all and it was the same.
    We would get about 430 miles on a fill up.

All through Ca, Az, Nm, and Tx on highway 40 we got gas with no ethanol. When we hit Oklahoma City to fill up the gas all had ethanol in it. I forget what the percent was but I recall 30%?. That tank we only got 300 miles!!!! We were like WTH is going on?
    When we got into Missouri and filled up again, that tank we got back to about 400.
    The exact same thing happened coming home.

Since that trip with the motorhome, I made that same run in my SUV and noticed the same situation. Ethanol sucks for mileage!

Now with that said, Ca. has some of the highest gas prices due to taxes. Once we got into Az and Nm, the price dropped about 30 cents a gallon. Ok had even a low price and in fact the lowest price per gallon of all the states we went through.

This made me think.... Is it better to pay a lower gas price and get much less MPG? Or is it better to pay more for gas and get the best mileage possible?

One day I will have to do the math on that

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Filling the tank to whatever level IMHO is close enough when using fuelly.com as you still get the total miles tracked and the total gallons. 4656 miles and 173.77 gallons of gas is 26.79 MPG so it really doesn't matter how accurate I fill the tank overall.
    You are absolutely correct! Over time - everything is fine.

But haven't you seen posts on here where people say something like: WOW, I GOT 38 m.p.g. on my last fill-up. They get all giddy like the gas fairy (related to the tooth fairy by marriage) blessed them and they magically got a huge increase over what they are used to?

It is more likely they didn't fill the tank. But yes, over time a tracking program like fuelly.com will help them understand the actual mileage they are getting. Single fill up anomalies are probably based upon someone not filling up correctly. Making a big deal over a single fill up is pointless. Use fuelly.com and track and that will tell you the true mileage you are getting.

By the way, no reason to say IMHO in your reply. It is not your opinion. What you said is safely known as a FACT. You are factually correct. And so is your math. Go to the head of the class.

SPECIAL NOTE: TO BE ACCURATE, BASED UPON A SINGLE FILL UP, YOU MUST FILL UP THE TANK PROPERLY 2 CONSECUTIVE TIMES. I AM NOT SURE WHO CARES ABOUT A SINGLE FILL-UP. OVER TIME MILEAGE AVERAGE IS MORE IMPORTANT.

What I don't understand is why you are 4 to 5 miles per gallon below the rest of us?

If you look carefully at my chart, the best mileage I ever got was 38.8 m.p.g. That was immediately followed by the worst gas mileage I every got, 23.9. I can assure you the difference is the tank didn't fill properly. The gas fairy did not bless me - nor did she curse me.
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 08-03-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Spyder Garage

You are absolutely correct! Over time - everything is fine.

But haven't you seen posts on here where people say something like: WOW, I GOT 38 m.p.g. on my last fill-up. They get all giddy like the gas fairy (related to the tooth fairy by marriage) blessed them and they magically got a huge increase over what they are used to?

It is more likely they didn't fill the tank. But yes, over time a tracking program like fuelly.com will help them understand the actual mileage they are getting. Single fill up anomalies are probably based upon someone not filling up correctly. Making a big deal over a single fill up is pointless. Use fuelly.com and track and that will tell you the true mileage you are getting.

By the way, no reason to say IMHO in your reply. It is not your opinion. What you said is safely known as a FACT. You are factually correct. And so is your math. Go to the head of the class.

SPECIAL NOTE: TO BE ACCURATE, BASED UPON A SINGLE FILL UP, YOU MUST FILL UP THE TANK PROPERLY 2 CONSECUTIVE TIMES. I AM NOT SURE WHO CARES ABOUT A SINGLE FILL-UP. OVER TIME MILEAGE AVERAGE IS MORE IMPORTANT.

What I don't understand is why you are 4 to 5 miles per gallon below the rest of us?

If you look carefully at my chart, the best mileage I ever got was 38.8 m.p.g. That was immediately followed by the worst gas mileage I every got, 23.9. I can assure you the difference is the tank didn't fill properly. The gas fairy did not bless me - nor did she curse me.
    Yes, I've see the fantastic reports for one tank and I even have one myself when the stupid nozzle would not fill the tank all the way up so I gave up and got 40 MPG for that tank.

I do have a few tanks pulling the RT622 to and from the OE in Maggie Valley where I got 2-4 MPG less but other than that it is usually local miles. I do pay attention to the fill level and try and gauge it as best as I can to fill to the same level. I've tried everything and still get about the same for local driving and a bit less at 75 MPH. Maybe I need to trim my beard... funny thing my MPG for the last month is worse than my overall since day one.

JT

Spyder Garage

Maybe I need to trim my beard... funny thing my MPG for the last month is worse than my overall since day one.

JT

I guess your beard is longer since day one?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

I guess your beard is longer since day one?

Bob
    Yes and my wife says it makes me look like an old fart...

JT

Spyder Garage

This weekend I traveled from Hot Springs Village Ar up to Pitbull, and back. About 250 miles each way. I got 27 mpg up and just over 30 mpg on the return. Speeds of 25 mph up to 80 mph. but I didn't buy the Spyder for fuel economy, bought it for fun. I do use + 90 octane. The Spyder worked great, but I think my butt broke and apparently I forgot how to walk when I got home.

Spyder Garage

I took a 3000 mile trip this summer on my 2013 RT-S and tracked my mileage. I always filled up with premium unleaded. My mileage was typically in the mid to high 20's with a low of 21 and a high of 34 mpg.

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors